Year old thread bumps are pretty awesome.

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
One particular forum board I go to has thread permanently locked after a certain date, but what you can do, if you have something useful to add to the thread, you can ask a mod to unlock it. I think that's a cool approach.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Its just annoying when people bump threads about "gear someone is looking into" or a release of a guitar from 3 years ago, and is clearly old news or the person has already got the info :nuts:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dude, what's the big deal about bumping old threads? If they're interesting to anyone on the site, they're relevant, and generally at least as useful as this thread...

If there's something worthwhile to add then it's no problem, but it's colossally annoying when you get things like the recent thread bump where someone resurrected the thread on Son of Science supporting Paul Gilbert and Gilbert's asshole-ish behaviour towards them after it had been quiet for a few months just to say (in broken English) 'I like Paul Gilbert!' Inane and pointless bumps like that just clog up the boards.:noway:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
:bump:

Do bumps really bother you that much? I agree when it's a stupid pointless bump of a year old thread and in those cases we will continue to handle it as we have, repeat offenders will be kicked. The warning thing might be a useful tool to avoid it, I agree with that.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
:bump:

Do bumps really bother you that much? I agree when it's a stupid pointless bump of a year old thread and in those cases we will continue to handle it as we have, repeat offenders will be kicked. The warning thing might be a useful tool to avoid it, I agree with that.

Honestly, thats pretty much exactly how i feel :shrug:

FredGrass

Serial Chiller
Reaction score
London, Ontario - even the trees here are metal
I don't think people should get banned or kicked for it, unless they're being pricks about it and constantly bumping shit for no reason. I know I've bumped crazy old posts on several occasions when I'm just on a tangent (for example, researching a specific guitar on the site) but it's usually with some kind of valid input, with a few exceptions, of course. I think it's fine when that happens because if one of us is looking for it, chances are someone else will be, too. If someone were to use that as a technique to abuse the site, though, then they should be subject to whatever e-discipline they deserve. I think the reminder script would serve this site very well, though, so if someone does reef out and they're about to bump a useless thread with a useless post, they're given the opportunity opt out. Another way to sort it out would be to provide us with an option to delete our own posts through the edit function. I think that's a good idea because it would us an opportunity for sober second thought in a lot of situations where it could prove very useful... One example I can think of in addition to accidental bumps is where someone jumps the gun on a reply, then finishes the thread and realizes his question was answered or his post is otherwise obsolete. Instead of editing out and just saying "Nevermind," he can delete his post and save room on the database. But wow this was a long-winded response, I think I'm done, LOL!

-FG

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
Why is it a pain to bump old threads? It's hardly rife. Man up and get over it.