Your opinion on some RG8 mods

• Thread starter wigger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wigger

Reaction score
I'm about to buy an 8 string guitar and after reading through the forums for quite some time now, I decided to buy a RG8. As it will be my first 8 string and since I'm not able to spend a horrendous amount of money, the RG8 pretty much seems to be the best choice for a cheap 8 string to play around and experiment with.

Numerous times I've read that the stock pickups on the RG8 pretty much suck really bad, so I thought about replacing the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio D Activator 8 DP820. Since I hardly use neck pickups, I thought about leaving the neck pickup as-is (also saves some money). What are your thoughts on this? Any comments, recommendations?

Also, I've wondered whether anybody has ever replaced the bridge on the RG8. Not that I'm going to do that, but I'm just wondering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you don't use the neck pickup, switch out the bridge pickup for the neck pickup. The neck is medium-highish output while the bridge is extremely high output, something like 25k ohm DC resistance. The neck pickup is 10k ohms.

wigger

Reaction score
So, we have this thread here yeah, its actually for exactly what you are asking. 51 pages of RG8 modification bliss. Go ahead, post in it, we wont bite! :wavey:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/220004-let-rg8-mods-begin.html

I knew about that thread, thought it was just about posting completed mods. But thanks, I'll post there next time ;)

If you don't use the neck pickup, switch out the bridge pickup for the neck pickup. The neck is medium-highish output while the bridge is extremely high output, something like 25k ohm DC resistance. The neck pickup is 10k ohms.

Good point, will try that first before replacing it with a D Activator 8.

Ibz777

Reaction score
The RG8 is just asking to be modded!

WHen you buy it you know it needs something.

The pickup are the first thing to go, then the bridge.
A lot of people like the Hipshot bridge.

Metal-Box

Proud Gear Curator
Reaction score
I have an RG8 and it is definitely a good basis for mods. It's almost ridiculously cheap. Go for it!

I will be putting EMGs in mine when I get around to it. Also, son people have been doing cool fretboard mods with stain. Oh, and check out the bridge mods some people have done.

Just be careful not to mod it so much that you put yourself into price ranges of much better Ibanez 8s.

wigger

Reaction score
The RG8 is just asking to be modded!

WHen you buy it you know it needs something.

The pickup are the first thing to go, then the bridge.
A lot of people like the Hipshot bridge.
Good point regarding the bridge. I will have to see how the stock bridge feels, but a hipshot bridge would definitely be a good replacement.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Try switching pup positions before buying a replacement pup. The difference in output is tremendous as it is the difference in clarity and dynamic response.

The neck pup works on the bridge surprisingly good while the bridge in the neck works very good if you like the soo creamy and fluid sounds from the neck position.

I have my RG8 all stock (well, I took of the tone pot to brighten up a little bit... its easy, reversible and free) with the pups switched and I am very very happy with the guitar. I'm not going to mod it... but gonna replace it for a better quality 8 when decide which one and keep this as a backup as it is.

focusbob

Reaction score
I have d'activators in my rg8, sounds solid. I think the bridge is fine, though I changed the saddles out for string savers.. new bridge seems like too much cost for not enough benefit, imho

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Based on the three I've tried so far, grab yourself a GraphTech nut, the best $10 you'll spend on it. The factory ones aren't cut that great, on par with a $400 guitar, but that's not saying a whole lot. :lol:

Personally, I didn't find the pickups too terrible, especially through a decent amp. :shrug:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Personally, I didn't find the pickups too terrible, especially through a decent amp. :shrug:

But, but... they're not BKPs! :lol:

Seriously though, from what I've heard, they are very decent pickups. As a whole the RG8 plays pretty darn well for the price

Metal-Box

Proud Gear Curator
Reaction score

Seriously though, from what I've heard, they are very decent pickups. As a whole the RG8 plays pretty darn well for the price

I got mine for about $350 on sale. That is an unbelievable price for this toy. ..and it was brand new in the box. :hbang:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

Neither are Lace, Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio... All of which are awesome. I'll be glad when ppl chill on all the dick riding...

Also... What problems were folks having with the bridge? Or do folks just feel better knowing they have a Hipshot bridge instead? I've been noticing a stange rattling in my 8th string that seems to get somewhat better with higher gauges, but it's pretty much always still there and I don't much like it.

Also... :rofl: @ OPs screen name...

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
There is literally no need to replace the bridge unless you are tuning to drop Zb and need a lot of intonation space...

Pickup swap is definitely a must on that guitar. I was able to get good tones without swapping but my tones definitely could have been better. If you wanted your guitar to look not as awkward with just having an uncovered pup in the bridge and a covered pup in the neck, you can buy plastic soapbar covers so your pups match. If that doesn't bother you then go ahead and pop a Dimarzio in the bridge and let her rip!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I honestly only really wanna replace the bridge saddles but even then I feel like I might wasting money on peace of mind vs actual function...

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I disabled the tone pot on mine and it sounds way better! I also swapped the bridge and neck pickup around but I didnt like it.

As for the bridge, again there is no need to change it out, but if you are determined to get something else in there, you can swap out the saddles for some graphtech ones, which are pretty good!

jsl2h90

Reaction score
I would recommend you put the ionizer bridge in instead of the dactivator. I'm borrowing a buddys RG8 right now while my 2228 goes under the knife. Theyre practically the same guitar as far as materials are concerned, and now that ive heard dactivators in both of them i can personally vouch for the ionizer as the superior pup. Unless you like an emphasized high end (treble). They are both killer pups though especially for the money.

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
I did this as well as adding a killswitch where the tone pot was. It does definitely make a difference, although I'd still like to replace the pups with a deathbar and xbar. I'm not sure replacing the bridge will make too much of a difference. The stock one seems ok to me, but I'm sure the ones that have swapped out for a Hipshot would have more say in that.

Try switching pup positions before buying a replacement pup. The difference in output is tremendous as it is the difference in clarity and dynamic response.

The neck pup works on the bridge surprisingly good while the bridge in the neck works very good if you like the soo creamy and fluid sounds from the neck position.

I have my RG8 all stock (well, I took of the tone pot to brighten up a little bit... its easy, reversible and free) with the pups switched and I am very very happy with the guitar. I'm not going to mod it... but gonna replace it for a better quality 8 when decide which one and keep this as a backup as it is.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Neither are Lace, Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio... All of which are awesome. I'll be glad when ppl chill on all the dick riding...

Also... What problems were folks having with the bridge? Or do folks just feel better knowing they have a Hipshot bridge instead? I've been noticing a stange rattling in my 8th string that seems to get somewhat better with higher gauges, but it's pretty much always still there and I don't much like it.

Also... :rofl: @ OPs screen name...

Methinks you misunderstood my awesome sarcasm :squint:

Latest posts