Your weakest technique?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Francis978

Reaction score
Probably my guitar playing. My best techniques being promoting Circle K strings and talking about string tension.

:lol: Mine is definitely alternate picking and down picking..pretty much just playing metal in general :lol: I can't play anything with constant alt or downpicking for shit.

Well, You are very good at the latter! :D (even though the AAL covers I have seen you do are AMAZING :) )

Them feels, I suck at sweeps and alternate picking really quickly

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
A technique I wish I was fluent at is 4 nps playing and wide 3 nps playing. I practice that approach but when it comes to improvising I go back to my old ways.

Very frustrating.

My picking also needs to be better.

lurgar

Reaction score
Fingerstyle. I decided to do a solo arrangement of "O Holy Night" for a ceremony that my wife is putting on. I am in over my head with even a simple arrangement and I have a ton of work ahead of me in the next couple of weeks.

MartinMTL

Reaction score
^ I don't write with an instrument in my hand, makes this pretty easy to do.

aww, same here. Since I started using guitar pro this year, I will often write without an actual guitar in my hands. In the end I come up with stuff I can't play at all. By the way, do people consider this as "cheating"? I just feel it helps me visualize what I am writing more, and makes it easier to create harmonies.

And to OP... just about everything. Alt picking and fingerstyle are the worst.

lurgar

Reaction score
aww, same here. Since I started using guitar pro this year, I will often write without an actual guitar in my hands. In the end I come up with stuff I can't play at all. By the way, do people consider this as "cheating"? I just feel it helps me visualize what I am writing more, and makes it easier to create harmonies.

If you create music that you like, then there is no such thing as cheating. It's not a competition, just expression and whatever method you come up with to get that expression out is good.

troyguitar

Reaction score
A technique I wish I was fluent at is 4 nps playing and wide 3 nps playing. I practice that approach but when it comes to improvising I go back to my old ways.

Very frustrating.

My picking also needs to be better.

I do the same thing. Will practice some exercises and stuff but as soon as I relax I go back to normal dense 3 nps stuff.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
My picking technique is just weird.

When I ascend I use economy picking and when I descend I use alternate picking.

Even after trying to ascend with alt picking to a metronome for about 5 hours, I still revert back to economy picking it. :lol:

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
My picking technique is just weird.

When I ascend I use economy picking and when I descend I use alternate picking.

Not that weird. Yngwie Malmsteen does the same thing, as summarized here by transcription wizard Jordan Bakerman:

Attachments

• yngwie picking system (bakerman).jpg
    yngwie picking system (bakerman).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 28

kaaka

Reaction score
It really depends on. Certain alternate picking patternas that someone else has come up with...
Slapping i don't really know so I can't count it. The same goes for flamenco style fingerpicking, advanced country chicken picking and 8-finger tapping which i seldom/never practice.

Ginsu

Reaction score
My economy picking is crap, but still better than my alt picking...Can barely sweep above 100bpm, never learned the "normal" chord shapes, since I never had a teacher...I play a lot of my chords as huge bars in drop tunings. And I rely way too much on drop tunings.

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
For me alternate picking has never been a problem but I'm terrible at improvising a solo or any lead work. As well when I get tired of tremolo picking I probably put too much elbow into it.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Everything...I'm more rusty than an iron nail that's been sitting in the open for a decade.

Reaction score
Fingerstyle. I really like classical stuff and can't play any of it :( I am working on it and making improvements though! :)