Yup, I need a critique of my rough mix. (Instrumental melodeath content.)

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The one thing that stands out to me is the bass. I'm not sure if it's just that there's a lot of it, but it doesn't seem to sit with everything. It sort of sits on top of everything. It lends to that "not every instrument sounds like it's in the same place" kind of vibe.

I dig the playing though. I also dig the intro in terms of balance - BUT - and this might sound a bit weird - it feels a bit rushed. Like the orchestral part is trying to say it's part as fast as possible. You've got maybe 30-40 seconds of orchestral intro with enough melodic content that you could easily slow it down and stretch it out to a minute and a half before the song proper starts. Let it start off very understated and moody, and slowly say it's pieces. Just my :2c:. :yesway:

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
The snare has a nice snap to it, but it pokes through in an abrasive way. Use a clipper or some kind of tape distortion (with moderation) to make it less pokey without changing the character.

gienek

Reaction score
BASS: Too much bass, not enough mids?
GUITARS: Too dark?
PERC: Turn it up (but not snare)?

Overall its a good mix

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The one thing that stands out to me is the bass. I'm not sure if it's just that there's a lot of it, but it doesn't seem to sit with everything. It sort of sits on top of everything. It lends to that "not every instrument sounds like it's in the same place" kind of vibe.
Interesting. Any thoughts on how to deal with that? I did throw a low pass filter on it to keep it from overlapping with the rhythm guitar, maybe I sucked out a bit too much of the mids. I also threw on a stereo chorus in order to give it some width. Maybe I should eschew that?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think the chorus might be the thing throwing me off. To my ears, bass shouldn't be wide. Or at least the low end of the bass shouldn't be wide. If you keep the chorus, I'd make sure it only applies to the high end.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I think this is great, but maybe the kick drum is too much up ^ here rather than down _ here. I don't want to say 'clicky', and I'm trying to think of something more useful to say than 'plasticy'. Lacking in body, perhaps?

I love the dynamics and variation between parts.

Is it going to have vocals or remain instrumental?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the chorus might be the thing throwing me off. To my ears, bass shouldn't be wide. Or at least the low end of the bass shouldn't be wide. If you keep the chorus, I'd make sure it only applies to the high end.
Makes sense. I also have the chorus post-amp, which, while widening it more, probably also makes it sound a bit unnatural. I'll try throwing it on the pre-amp side. The suggestion about only applying it to the high-end is also interesting.
I think this is great, but maybe the kick drum is too much up ^ here rather than down _ here. I don't want to say 'clicky', and I'm trying to think of something more useful to say than 'plasticy'. Lacking in body, perhaps?

I love the dynamics and variation between parts.

Is it going to have vocals or remain instrumental?
I tried adjusting the EQ of the kick to give it some more low end, but all that happened was that it sounded woofy. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it was the best I could while still keeping it punchy.

I plan to keep it instrumental, although I have an old friend who enjoys adding lyrics to instrumental songs like this, so I'll shoot it his way and see if he's inspired.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
Sounds killer! Maybe the drums are a little bit too high? I'd tame them a bit.
Thanks! :)

The opinion on the drums seems to be all over the place (I've asked a couple IRL friends as well). Some people say "turn it down!", others say "turn it up!" I'm reasonably happy with where they stand in the mix, so honestly, I think I'll leave them be.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Some people say "turn it down!", others say "turn it up!" I'm reasonably happy with where they stand in the mix, so honestly, I think I'll leave them be.
I've noticed that this kind of balance thing seems to be a big part of personal taste, and the "flavor" of someones mix. If you're happy with it, I say keep it where it is. :yesway:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about someone who would use a plugin to flatten everything below a certain frequency to mono.... I can't remember where I saw this though. That's always been my approach to bass though -> Split highs and lows, and keep the lows simple, clean, mono, and smash the bajeezus out of it with compression. Then the high end can do whatever it wants without messing with the balance of things.