Zakk Wylde Sig EMGs

• Thread starter TelegramSam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TelegramSam

7-string Understudy
Reaction score

Opinions? I think they should make Zakk some proper sigs, not just limited editions, even if his tone needs some work :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
he was never using special signature gear. all his signature gear thing is just regular product with his name on top of it, because he is using just regular gear - gibson custom with maple neck and 81/85 EMGs, some sort of stock OD into jcm800 with 5881 tubes into marhsal cab with evm12l speakers. some wah,vibe, chorus and delay everything you can buy without spending lots of money.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he's happy with the 81/85 combo why bother with a different set?

I'll never get the "signature for the sake of it" mentality some folks have.

TelegramSam

7-string Understudy
Reaction score

Because everything of his must have either a buzzsaw or a bullseye on it, duh. He probably has a kettle with these designs.

riffer_madness

Reaction score

I totally agree with you. Look at what happened to James Hetfield's sound when he went to his signature EMG's... sounds like junk now.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Look at what happened to James Hetfield's sound when he went to his signature EMG's... sounds like junk now.

Except those EMGs actually do sound good... as long as it's everybody that's not Hetfield is using them. :lol:

For the record, I've always loved Hetfield's tone.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Except those EMGs actually do sound good... as long as it's everybody that's not Hetfield is using them. :lol:

For the record, I've always loved Hetfield's tone.

He's definitely one of the greatest riff-masters of all time...

But just to see what you think you should go on YouTube and check out say a 1989 to 1991 era live version of a song like shortest straw or harvester of sorrow and one of how it sounds nowadays when they play it live. Use to be crunchy, punchy, beefy and in your face. Now his sound is squishy and middy and sizzly. Don't like his sig EMG's at all. :noway:

tedtan

Reaction score
Yeah, but the Het Set didn't come out until a year or two ago, but his tone went to shit 10 or 12 years back. Maybe his hearing is shot, maybe he's just trying to sound how he thinks modern bands sound, who knows. But I wouldn't attribute it to his sig pickups because his tone sucked long before they came out.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
He's definitely one of the greatest riff-masters of all time...

But just to see what you think you should go on YouTube and check out say a 1989 to 1991 era live version of a song like shortest straw or harvester of sorrow and one of how it sounds nowadays when they play it live. Use to be crunchy, punchy, beefy and in your face. Now his sound is squishy and middy and sizzly. Don't like his sig EMG's at all. :noway:

That's because Metallica have changed their sound to a more hard rock oriented affair from Load onwards. They've been bumping up their mids more and more as time goes by. It's a good hard rock tone, but not exactly classic Metallica tone. They raised the bar of their sound during the Binge and Purge shows and they haven't recreated that since, nor do they choose to. Of course it's opinion whether they sound good now or otherwise.

As for the EMGs, the Het Set was released recently and Hetfield's tone had deteriorated long prior, so the pickups are only a small factor.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a Het Set user, I can attest to the pickups sounding freaking awesome in a Les Paul. :agreed:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Also add to the fact that the Het Set can do thrash very well, Eric Peterson's been using them on one of his Dean Vs and they sounded monstrous when I heard them during the Dark Roots of Thrash tour. :yesway:

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Also add to the fact that the Het Set can do thrash very well, Eric Peterson's been using them on one of his Dean Vs and they sounded monstrous when I heard them during the Dark Roots of Thrash tour. :yesway:

That's cool. Glad someone is out there showing the masses the het set can get it done.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Interesting. Love that old metallica!!! :hbang:

I really dig his pre-St Anger tones, even during the Load, Reload, and Garage Inc days. Once he switched to Diezel, his tone went in the shitter. I'm aware he still uses Boogie amps in tandem with the Diezels, but I think Papa Het is someone that can't dial in a VH4. :ugh:

riffer_madness

Reaction score
I really dig his pre-St Anger tones, even during the Load, Reload, and Garage Inc days. Once he switched to Diezel, his tone went in the shitter. I'm aware he still uses Boogie amps in tandem with the Diezels, but I think Papa Het is someone that can't dial in a VH4. :ugh:

Put in Master of Puppets and crank it. Best. Tone. Ever.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score

The whole "signature for the sake of it" I don't get either. The Kerry King set is the exact same pickups with what, a 20db booster?

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Zakk, and I think he has really good tone. Consistently good tone, mind you. Never listened to a BLS album with weak tone - at least to my ears.

He knows what works for his rig and his style of playing, and I guess that's all that matters!