Zero Fret?

• Thread starter sezna
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that the zero fret is supposed to set action while the nut sets string position. My question is: do you really just set a fret at the "0" position? Wouldn't that result in fret buzz because the strings are directly on the fret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
The point is that the fret is optimally going to be as low as all the other frets. When you fret a note, does the string rattle against the higher frets? They're not supposed to. The action of a regular with a capo illustrates how a zero fret works, actually.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
The point is that the fret is optimally going to be as low as all the other frets. When you fret a note, does the string rattle against the higher frets? They're not supposed to. The action of a regular with a capo illustrates how a zero fret works, actually.

I guess I'm just not picturing it with enough tension in my head. Hmmmm...let me imagine harder...

Yeah, I think I get it. So, from a luthier's perspective, you make the nut lower and farther back than normal with an angled headstock or string retention bar, then you put a fret in just as you would any other fret where the nut would normally be and...that is all there is to it?

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'm just not picturing it with enough tension in my head. Hmmmm...let me imagine harder...

Yeah, I think I get it. So, from a luthier's perspective, you make the nut lower and farther back than normal with an angled headstock or string retention bar, then you put a fret in just as you would any other fret where the nut would normally be and...that is all there is to it?

I believe you are correct, my friend!

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys! It seems to be a good option for my next build.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
It's pretty much use to give ideal action at the lower frets (we've all played those guitars where the nut wasn't cut deep enough) and so that your open notes sound the same as fretted ones.

Latest posts