1960A vs 1960B

• Thread starter BenjaminW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I know that these kinds of straight vs slant cab threads have been done to death, so I apologize for making another one of these threads.

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of settling some major GAS of mine because I am going to get a Marshall after God knows how long. I've decided on a JCM 800 2203 and a 1960 cab and the problem I'm having is that since I need a cab to obviously go with the head, do I go for a 1960A or B?

When it comes to tone, I'm just gonna explain what I have on my Fender Champion 100 because I feel like it's a waste of time for me to go through every guitarist's tone that I wanna copy and put their names down. I have my Champion 100 on the 2000s Metal voice with the gain at 4.5 and master volume at 2.5, treble at 7, mids at 5, and bass at 3. I also use the built in delay + reverb at 4 and then a buffer pedal to cancel out the amp buzz.

With that being said, here is a SoundCloud link to what my tone sounds like although the recording quality kinda sucks. Hopefully the link and my amp settings are helpful enough to you guys out there.

https://soundcloud.com/benjaminw-857546758/tone-sample

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both.

But for real, flip a coin. I have both and they're great.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I had a 1960A JCM800 cab loaded with G12T-75 speakers and it made any amp I used with it sound freakin' brutal (in a VERY good way). I still regret selling it but I didn't have much of a choice at the time.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The 1960B will sound beefier due to the extra internal volume and arguably better mic'd up due to that.
The 1960A will be a fair bit easier to hear in a rehearsal room for obvious reasons.
Pick whatever is more practical for you and go for it.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Both.

But for real, flip a coin. I have both and they're great.
I would love to get both. The issue I have with getting both is that I plan on keeping it in my music room in my house and having two cabs is a little overkill. But hey, I could always make something good out of a full stack.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I would love to get both. The issue I have with getting both is that I plan on keeping it in my music room in my house and having two cabs is a little overkill. But hey, I could always make something good out of a full stack.
I'm going to give you some real advice here. Two cabs is the worst amount, get three instead. But if you really need to have only 2 cabs, make sure they're different cabs and then immediately get a second amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Aren't the B's flat on top but still angled inside?

anyway get the matching 1960 JCM800 with the G12-65's. I had that setup for a year or so and it was glorious.

Make sure you can turn up that 2203 ;)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I prefer straight cabs in general, but my first ever 4x12 cab was a JCM900 angled cab and it was super solid. I'd just go with whichever one you can grab for less money.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I prefer straight cabs in general, but my first ever 4x12 cab was a JCM900 angled cab and it was super solid. I'd just go with whichever one you can grab for less money.
Both are $1,099 new on Sweetwater and Guitar Center's website. Meanwhile both are like sub $1,000 on Reverb. Thanks whoever comes up with these prices!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Both are $1,099 new on Sweetwater and Guitar Center's website. Meanwhile both are like sub $1,000 on Reverb. Thanks whoever comes up with these prices!

You can find them dirt cheap used. Check Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc. for them. I got mine for $175 and I see them for $350 or less pretty frequently

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Aren't the B's flat on top but still angled inside?

anyway get the matching 1960 JCM800 with the G12-65's. I had that setup for a year or so and it was glorious.

Make sure you can turn up that 2203 ;)
B's are straight. I will also have to consult a doctor for some hearing aids soon.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Get the straight one...unless you play really close to the cab.Then maybe the angled might project a little closer to your ears than your balls.

Adieu

Reaction score
With 1960 cabs, the better answer would be 1960AV/BV (V30s) or early '80s versions with g12-65's

efiltsohg

Reaction score
If he wants an 80s metal rig, which it sounds like, then T-75s all the way. 1960av/bv is a terrible option

Cynicanal

Reaction score
If he wants an 80s metal rig, which it sounds like, then T-75s all the way. 1960av/bv is a terrible option
Even if you don't want V30s (which you should, they're also great for thrash), the 1960BX with Greenbacks is still a better choice.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I like the B version better. A little thicker and chunkier sounding.

And it is easier/safer to stack multiple amps on top of it down the road. Plan for the future.
;)