Which guitar should I get?

• Fender Jaguar Vintera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fender Powercaster

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

pfizer

Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a new guitar -- a play mostly metal and rock but I am trying to expand my taste into some blues and I'm thinking of getting something with a scale length that's shorter than my usual.

I currently have electric guitars that are all 25.5" scale length instruments and I do love them all dearly, but I want something a little different. Like I said, I'm looking into learning some bluesier stuff and trying to work on my bending and vibrato a bit, so I'm currently choosing between two Fender models:

1) Fender Jaguar Vintera

hhogqdft9xqzz59ribwi.jpg

2) Fender Powercaster

ysrqwqeonkkp42bzww7f.jpg

By looks and comfort alone, I'd probably get the Powercaster in a heartbeat -- I love how clean it looks and the carved heel is something I wish more Fenders would have.

With the Jaguar, I feel like it having a 24-inch scale length would make it feel more noticeably different -- I remember playing one sometime ago for a few minutes and was surprised by how easy the strings were to bend, which is what I'm going for. I don't know if the 24.75 inch scale on the Powercaster would feel different in any noticeable way from my 25.5" guitars when it comes to bending and vibrato, so I'm a little torn between the two.

Any thoughts/advice? Anyone here actually own either or both of these guitars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purelojik

Reaction score
I second the slightly longer gibson scale out of the two you propose. my personal guitar i built myself is 24.8 just because i liked it all having even numbers lol. i can tune to drop C with 10-52 strings and it sounds massive still. that being said i've also made a 22 scale guitar tuned to eb standard and it still can play metal pretty well. that ones in the shaper origin demo video and clips of my guitar are in my instagram @akm_guitarworks.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
24.75 is not hugely different to 25.5. Half a frets difference - less than that of capoing the first fret. Less than the difference between a set of 10s and 9.5s.
24 on the other hand is exactly like capoing the first fret - exactly a semitone lighter, very similar to the difference between a set of 10s and 9.5s.
I'd go for the 24 as its much more unique and fun and still handles up to mid 50 gauge or so perfectly fine tonally so can go down to around C with regular tension and tone.

I tend not to think about ease of bending because you can just change string gauge. It feels easier if strung up with the same strings you'd usually use, sure.