24V mod 2-way switch wiring help

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this? I ordered the 24V mod but there was already a switch in my guitar so I just asked for extra connectors instead of the pre-wired switch. But I didn't really understand what I was getting - I thought the kit itself was switchable between 9/24V, but now that it's in my hands, I think I understand that you just get an extra couple of batteries for the 24V option. So basically I would take my old battery AND the new battery (2 12Vs in a special holder so it can connect to a 9V connector) and switch between them, instead of switching modes on this 24V mod kit.

But now I'm not sure what to do. My switch is a 2-way 6-lug DPDT, something like:

3cc89c52-be07-4f02-b149-732699ee45eb__81494.1533058936.jpg

And so I have 6 wires - lead from the pickups, ground, a 24V lead and ground, and a 9V lead and ground. Does anyone know which things would go to which lugs in these 6 lug arrangements?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Reaction score
(and I realize now this is in the wrong section. Just before bed posting problems)

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
All grounds can be connected. Pins 5 or 2 becomes the switchable voltage output. 9V to the upper pin & 24V to the lower pin on the same side you used for the output.

mastapimp

Reaction score
All grounds can be connected. Pins 5 or 2 becomes the switchable voltage output. 9V to the upper pin & 24V to the lower pin on the same side you used for the output.
Sounds right to me...bust out the multimeter to double check your wiring/switching.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
One more question: what brand of PUs are you using that accept 24V supply?

narad

Reaction score
So is this the idea? (color coded to the wires):

AL9nZEUbGqeMFzZyNo-2bX6Gkjj3CEyJp2zQw6kRiCIb-YEJQBpPti9Al1OWi2Grl7CRsDNr9-gbEkYGNtvo5Hn7VJSC-xdE-HJPkw-uBlRUWkPTLQFXwxcwY6O-TbYdkaFuAjK4QkiPG5e0wWhkwJo6_vkKGg=w2297-h1723-no

mastapimp

Reaction score
Since the switch is DPDT, what are you doing with the voltage on 2 and 6? I don't think it's going to hurt anything if you wire it up as drawn, but it's not really doing anything on the right side of your diagram.

Also, your pin numbers don't match the diagram...I think 2 and 6 on your diagram are supposed to be 3 and 1 from the datasheet?

Last edited:

nasticanasta

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this? I ordered the 24V mod but there was already a switch in my guitar so I just asked for extra connectors instead of the pre-wired switch. But I didn't really understand what I was getting - I thought the kit itself was switchable between 9/24V, but now that it's in my hands, I think I understand that you just get an extra couple of batteries for the 24V option. So basically I would take my old battery AND the new battery (2 12Vs in a special holder so it can connect to a 9V connector) and switch between them, instead of switching modes on this 24V mod kit.

But now I'm not sure what to do. My switch is a 2-way 6-lug DPDT, something like:

3cc89c52-be07-4f02-b149-732699ee45eb__81494.1533058936.jpg

And so I have 6 wires - lead from the pickups, ground, a 24V lead and ground, and a 9V lead and ground. Does anyone know which things would go to which lugs in these 6 lug arrangements?
24v doesn't do anything, even EMG says that, the 18v barely does anything, I used to make/sell, and use 18v on all my guitars that used EMG, I used them ever since I heard of them in the early 80's, I was the loudest voice against hose EMG haters out there. I now have only one guitar with EMG's the 57/66 set on an eclipse...I don't even use the 18v anymore..i sold my Marshall's and bought a couple ENGL's, they have tons of headroom I don't need 18v anymore

narad

Reaction score
Since the switch is DPDT, what are you doing with the voltage on 2 and 6? I don't think it's going to hurt anything if you wire it up as drawn, but it's not really doing anything on the right side of your diagram.

Also, your pin numbers don't match the diagram...I think 2 and 6 on your diagram are supposed to be 3 and 1 from the datasheet?
Ah yea, sorry, forgot I already had posted some numbered pins.

The 2 and 6 are just the grounds. I guess they could be soldered together, but this seems cleaner and more conceptually clearer?

24v doesn't do anything, even EMG says that, the 18v barely does anything, I used to make/sell, and use 18v on all my guitars that used EMG, I used them ever since I heard of them in the early 80's, I was the loudest voice against hose EMG haters out there. I now have only one guitar with EMG's the 57/66 set on an eclipse...I don't even use the 18v anymore..i sold my Marshall's and bought a couple ENGL's, they have tons of headroom I don't need 18v anymore
Not that I was asking for this sort of comment but the point of the 24V mod isn't a sound improvement over 18V, it's so you can do 18V without 2 bulky 9V batteries there (especially if you're considering switching like this, then you either draining down one more than the other, or you've got 3 9Vs in there). I tested the kit out as direct replacement for the current 9V and the sound difference is immediately noticeable. At the moment, not in a way I like as much as 9V, but there's probably some use case for it. This guitar only has one pickup so I wanted to add a bit more versatility to it.