25.5 Scale Length

• Thread starter Djentinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djentinator

Reaction score
Would a 25.5 scaled 7 string react well in drop Ab? I'm specifically asking about the new Ibanez RG752LWFX. I love the overall appearance and specs of the instrument but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, none of my local Guitar Center's have the guitar in their stores so I have no way of trying it out haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Get a regular six string guitar with proper gauges and see if you can get Ab tuning that sounds good to you. It's personal preferance and it really doesn't matter what any of us say, as it might differ from what you like. I have an MKH epiphone les Paul (24.5 I think) and I think it sounds fine in A standard, which is all around lower than drop Ab. (Aside from the low B string.) It'll be able to handle the tuning, but whether or not you like the sound/feel of whatever gauges are needed is totally subjective.

maximummetal288

Reaction score
It won't be a problem. All but one of my 7's are 25.5" scales and they're all tuned to Ab and play great :yesway:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like the scale length debate is grossly exaggerated and the thousands of threads about it are tiresome. Play what's comfortable to YOU. If you like 25.5" stick with it. If you wanna venture into longer scales, go for it. Standard scales just mean thicker strings for lower tunings. It's not a bad thing if larger gauge strings don't bother you. Personally, I'd rather have overall scale length comfort with thicker strings, if needed, rather than a longer scale. It's just more comfortable to ME. There will be tons of arguments found suggesting longer is better than shorter and vice versa. Ab will work in 25.5" just fine. Just buy the proper gauge strings for the tension you desire and you will be fine.

bouVIP

Reaction score
I used to have my 7s with 25.5" scale in Drop Ab and no problem! Even had 1 in drop g before and wasn't too bad.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Check our album in my link, I'm using the drop Ab on my 25.5 Carvin at least a bit in each song, and back then I only had a .56 on it. I now use a .64 and it's even better. Anyway, yeah sounds great.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
As others have said. Nothing wrong with 25.5" scale and drop tuning.
You'll just have to find a gauge that has enough tension for you (especially on the low string).
I'm sure you could buy some 11's and then throw on something in the 60's for the 7th string. Or you may even like a set of 10's with a 60 something for the 7th. Depends on the tension you're most comfortable with.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I was a whore for 25.5" for years until I got my Schecter Loomis sig (which is a 26.5" scale). It's all personal preference really. I have longer arms and I prefer to use thinner strings so that I can get better sounding bends and vibrato, so I go with the longer scale length. I play in A standard and drop G, and they sound fine on my 25.5" LTD as well. :shrug:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
That depends on how much tension you like. I use a 68 for my lowest string on a 25.5 scale in Drop Ab and I'd like more tension. There comes a point where you have to choose between tension and string feel/timbre if you go thick enough without increasing the scale length.

The Shit Wolf

Sniffs out bull....
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with everybody else just find what's comfortable to you. Personally I've got a RG 7621 (25.5) with a 70 on the bottom and I've used that for drop G# and even F# with no problems

TheDraeg

Reaction score
I just want to throw it out there and maybe kick the dead horse once more- but SRV was a complete BEAST for making those bends and vibrato with 13 gauge strings..:eek:

7stg

Reaction score
Longer scales have lower inharmonicity resulting in a clearer tone. There is also more harmonic content. If that is desired go long, Carvin dc7x or Jackson b7 are great options. If not then a 25.5" scale will work.