25 years of Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power - Tribute Thread

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightlight

Reaction score
A quarter of a century since this awesome album dropped! What an amazing sophomore effort. I mean it was and still is a masterpiece. The first time I heard Dimebag, I was probably a wee little schoolboy, and I still think some of Phil's singing on their debut Cowboys from Hell was probably the closest I've seen to someone nailing Rob Halford's style. Rex was eloquent on the bass and Vinnie brought the groove. Seminal act, doubt we'll see something like that again.

I was thinking of a thread where everyone could showcase their covers of Pantera songs, or even show us some of their tracks that were inspired by the kind of music they created.

I'm not much of a solo guy, and I could never touch Dimebag's virtuoso talent, so this is one of mine called Black Tooth Grin. Unfinished, but I hope you'll see some of the influence in my riffs. Pretty much played from end to end with a few minor punch ins when I fell off the rails. Here you go!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightlight

Reaction score
Vulgar was Pantera's best album

Toss up between it and CFH for me! A possible contender is also there live album, Live 101 Proof.

Funny story, when I first bought that album (and later lost it), I could have sworn the title was Live 101 Proof: Firehouse, heh

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I remember seeing the video for mouth for war and it changed my musical path forever!!

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
What a long time ago! I still remember seeing them as support for Megadeth on the Countdown to Extinction tour. Such a brilliant album, literally changed my life.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
So many anniversaries of some of my favourite albums, makes me feel so old! Easily my favourite Pantera album, This Love just blew my mind when I heard it.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Yeah it's such a powerful album! I jam to Walk, I'm Broken and others, but haven't done a cover video yet.

Side note, the fight scene between Scorpion and Johnny Cage when they enter Scorpion's world? The music totally reminded me of Vulgar Display of Power!

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Alright...I know I'm gonna get shit for this but I have always felt that Walk was one of the most overrated and monotonous metal songs I ever heard and couldn't stand the band initially and that song was one of the reasons. I finally came around later and really enjoyed some later Pantera and could consider myself a fan...but I still don't like that song at all and feel there are better examples of a metal aggro-anthem

mitou

Reaction score
Alright...I know I'm gonna get shit for this but I have always felt that Walk was one of the most overrated and monotonous metal songs I ever heard and couldn't stand the band initially and that song was one of the reasons. I finally came around later and really enjoyed some later Pantera and could consider myself a fan...but I still don't like that song at all and feel there are better examples of a metal aggro-anthem

I literally thought that song was a parody the first time I heard it

Werecow

Reaction score
I love half that album and feel a bit meh about the rest of the songs. I like CFH more, and my favourite is Far Beyond Driven. I love every single song on that album.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Honestly I only like about half the album but I can respect the work they put in as them Prong, White Zombie, Sepultura, Biohazard and a few other bands around from 92-95 pushed mainstream metal in a more aggressive direction and for better or worse set the stage for nu-metal too.

Yeah it's such a powerful album! I jam to Walk, I'm Broken and others, but haven't done a cover video yet.

Side note, the fight scene between Scorpion and Johnny Cage when they enter Scorpion's world? The music totally reminded me of Vulgar Display of Power!

That's Zero Signal by Fear Factory.

I totally understand the sentiment as Nirvana was the band that brought me into music but 'smells like teen spirit' did nothing for me back then and I'm still not keen now so over time I've come to believe that for most bands their biggest songs are often their least interesting and in some cases not very representative of their sound at all.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score

Didn't Madonna cover it live... that alone makes me want to cringe into a different dimension.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Didn't Madonna cover it live... that alone makes me want to cringe into a different dimension.

Her and her band did a partial cover of A New Level during a live show. Mostly because her guitarist (and teacher) Monte Pittman taught her the New Level riff as a playing exercise and she really dug it.