7 string for A standard and other low tunings

• Thread starter Matze777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matze777

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a good 7-string with fixed bridge to have it in A standard or eventually drop G.
It should hold tuning really well, snappy but comfortable to play. NO flubby or muddy tone anymore! I'll use BKP's then.
I have an Ibanez Premium 7, it plays wonderful but with the Edge Zero 2, changing tunings is way too uncomfy.

Now - :cool: price should be under 550€ and available in Germany.
First thing I thought was the Ibanez RG7421PB-SBF, 'cause it's so damn sexy.
Would it be good with some thicker strings?
There seem to be no decent 7's with 26,5" scale in that price range. :scratch:

I'm happy about any good advice. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Cort EVL K57B - 519€ - 27"
Schecter Diamond Omen 7 Extreme - 499€ - 26.5"
Schecter Demon 7 - 459€ - 26.5"

All of them available in Thomann right now and all of them, in my opinion, better than the Ibby RG7421 (quality wise and manufactury wise) and I insist: in my opinion.

Personally, I would go for the Demon as I prefer bolt on guitars and the Omen 7 Extreme looks a bit "cheesy" in the pics with that quilted top and that inlays... also the controls layout don't look very comfortable for me.

But, if you "need" a very thin neck I would highly recommend you to buy the Jackson JS32-7. I know, it's a lot cheaper (370€) and looks "very similar" to the much cheaper JS22-7, but the 32 have a better bridge.

If you could live with the controls layout I can assure you that is an amazingly comfortable, thin and fast neck.

To illustrate how comfortable is that Jacky neck: I returned my Ibanez RGD2127Z because it's neck wasn't as comfortable as the neck of my Jackson JS22-7... and it is 26.5" also :)

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
I second getting the JS32-7. I don't have experience with either that or the JS22-7, but for the price you just can't beat it.

AcidRG7620

Matty
Reaction score
Matze777 I have the Ibanez RG7421PB and I'm very happy with it! Although it's only a 25.5 scale, with some adjustments and heavy gauge strings, you can get very tight tones from it. Especially the lows :)

stevexc

Reaction score
JS22/32 is probably the best option for a budget 26.5" 7. Chapman's 7s are also solid, but a bit more costly (549 GBP) - the few I've played have felt good.

You won't be unable to get good tone from a 25.5" guitar though.

UV&BK4LIFE has a good point, though, if you like what you have why not just block the bridge? Then you can tune as a normal guitar.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Food for thought...there's also always the "F" fixed bridge version of your Ibby Premium if you like that guitar. I love the Tight End R bridge...maybe you could land a trade for one with your floating trem model.

vansinn

Reaction score
I thought so, but I want string through body for better sustain.

IMHO, through body resulting in better sustain is hype. YMMV of course..
Just saying just maybe you shouldn't let this feature be the deciding factor :ugh: