7 string gauge question

• Thread starter jin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gauge
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jin

:D
Reaction score
hi guys i read in wikipedia that jeff loomis uses a 70 gauge on b string which is quite thick (10-52+70). what is benefit of having such heavy gauge? isnt it very difficult to bend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Most low B gauges are actually a lot lighter in tension than they ought to be, for some reason that no one really agrees on.

I think a .069" .059" at low b gives about the same tension as a .046" low e.

EDIT: Sorry, .059" not .069"...

So a .070" is a pretty good gauge looking at tension alone.

IMO, the reason lighter gauges are used has to do with inharmonicity. The heavier the gauge of the string, the further the actual overtones are from the harmonic series, giving the string a more gong-like tone.

jin

Reaction score
Most low B gauges are actually a lot lighter in tension than they ought to be, for some reason that no one really agrees on.

I think a .069" at low b gives about the same tension as a .046" low e.

So a .070" is a pretty good gauge looking at tension alone.

IMO, the reason lighter gauges are used has to do with inharmonicity. The heavier the gauge of the string, the further the actual overtones are from the harmonic series, giving the string a more gong-like tone.

does having a heavier gauge on the B string affect anything?cause like the rest of the gauges are lighter and wont that cause any imbalance or something like that?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
does having a heavier gauge on the B string affect anything?cause like the rest of the gauges are lighter and wont that cause any imbalance or something like that?

When the string tensions are all equal, there will be balance in the force on the neck. When some strings are lighter in tension, it can affect the behaviour of the whammy bar and, in extreme cases, affect the neck.

I've used light wound strings with extra light plain strings for ages and never had any issues with either, though, because the differences in tension are relatively small. I can't really remember back to when I used a .056" for the low b, though.

jin

Reaction score
When the string tensions are all equal, there will be balance in the force on the neck. When some strings are lighter in tension, it can affect the behaviour of the whammy bar and, in extreme cases, affect the neck.

I've used light wound strings with extra light plain strings for ages and never had any issues with either, though, because the differences in tension are relatively small. I can't really remember back to when I used a .056" for the low b, though.

so if i were to play a 7 string, it would be better to put a heavier gauge on the low b?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's all a matter of taste.

To put it simply, if you like the strings you are using, there is no reason to change, but if you need a beefier low b, go for a thicker gauge.

Latest posts