7 string Midi guitars?

• Thread starter etrotter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

etrotter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
help! I'm on the hunt for the perfect 7 string midi- I'm actually open to all styles- Electric- Nylon- and Classical - can anyone point me in the right direction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
There ain't any unless you go custom.

The Guitar-to-MIDI hardware builders never gave attention to 7+ string guitars, so one has to double the hardware in order to get all strings with MIDI.

However, https://www.cycfi.com may have you covered... so you either mod an existing guitar, or (have someone) build one around that for you...

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Like @odibrom said. It's all custom if wanting midi and more than 6 strings. You'll likely need to mod an existing guitar that can fit 2 hexpander's and two 13pin midi jacks. Doing things like having a swtich to swtich between higher and lower 6 strings or summing 2 strings to one channel etc is basically impossible from what I can tell. I tried making that happen when I was into midi and non of the super talented techs could do it, or at least without me paying for a ton of their R&D time, making it prohibitive. I ditched it once I realized it wouldn't work as a lead instrument the way I wanted. AT the time it was to glitchy - Oh and you also have to double the converters (Axon 100's, Rolands etc) too. You don't have to double the synth modules at least. I'd love to get back into it if I had the disposable income to experiment again though and time/patience.

Reaction score
The "guitar-to-midi" hardware implies onboard gear and a receiver. With the current brands, one would need to double both in order to have all strings with midi.

Cycfi, however, has some interesting solutions for this problem. Afaik, they're only ones providing 7+ string guitar to midi solutions, but it won't be cheap...

KyleG

Reaction score
These guys make a pretty wild midi 7 string

The trem bar is even programmable.

Reaction score

Their site could be... more informative...

KyleG

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with their site. Haven't heard much from the brand in a while but just wanted to show that there's at least one company making a 7 string midi guitar.
I honestly don't know why you'd need the lowest string, most midi pickups I've used can barely handle a low D. The latency would be pretty much trash.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with their site. Haven't heard much from the brand in a while but just wanted to show that there's at least one company making a 7 string midi guitar.
I honestly don't know why you'd need the lowest string, most midi pickups I've used can barely handle a low D. The latency would be pretty much trash.
It'll handle it just fine but what you must do is switch the second midi converter to bass mode for that one string. If you're on a 6 string and tune down and put it in guitar mode it may have issues.

GuyB

Reaction score
Midi Guitar 2 software works with 7 string guitars, no midi pickup needed, the note range depends on the VST and adjusting the software's note range setting.

It's all software, so you don't need any midi pickup installing into your guitar, you can use your normal 7 string guitar, then the software converts your guitar's analog signal to midi. Obviously, an audio interface is needed.

Latency is good using a fast modern computer. Polyphonic notes using minor seconds don't work, also not good for Guitaristic strumming chords either, it's a different instrument and needs to be played as such.

My experience is that most guitarists will probably need to change their Rock technique to a very clean sound, clean touch, no buzzing frets, any sloppyness shows as glitches, also no pedals. A good classical technique would be preferable.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

TheDandy

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure that it's still in production, but Godin made a Multiac Nylon 7 string with a midi output for a decent while.

Thesius

Reaction score

shredder.png-nggid0293-ngg0dyn-115x300x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.png
This is horrible

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
MIDI Guitar 2 works great if you’re fine with having to play using a computer.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I know this is like setting money on fire.

But also, does this win the prize for furthest bridge pickup from the bridge award?

helo.JPG

etrotter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Midi Guitar 2 software works with 7 string guitars, no midi pickup needed, the note range depends on the VST and adjusting the software's note range setting.

It's all software, so you don't need any midi pickup installing into your guitar, you can use your normal 7 string guitar, then the software converts your guitar's analog signal to midi. Obviously, an audio interface is needed.

Latency is good using a fast modern computer. Polyphonic notes using minor seconds don't work, also not good for Guitaristic strumming chords either, it's a different instrument and needs to be played as such.

My experience is that most guitarists will probably need to change their Rock technique to a very clean sound, clean touch, no buzzing frets, any sloppyness shows as glitches, also no pedals. A good classical technique would be preferable.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

im currently exploring their beta version kf midi guitar 3- and it looks super promising. Thanks for info- ive seem some people shred on midi 2

etrotter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure that it's still in production, but Godin made a Multiac Nylon 7 string with a midi output for a decent while.
I know, I currently own a multiac grand encore 7 classical guitar- no midi- Wish i had more foresight when i bought it. Ive been looking online but they seem to be as hard to come by as a Vigier Marilyn. Lol. I also wasnt sure how the midi worked with 7 strings since the general consensus seems to highlight its unicorn status. I found another company from brazil who males the occasional 7string nylon midi 13 pin- but when i wrote asking about how the midi works woth 7 strings i never got a reply. https://www.facebook.com/instrumentos.caimbe?mibextid=LQQJ4d