8 String Guitar/Pickup Comparison (Lundgren, Lace, EMG, Fishman)

PariahMusic

Reaction score
Did a comparison of my four 8 string guitars a while back. Thought it was kinda cool since I have a divisive passive pickup brand (Lace), a lauded pickup brand (Lundgren), a "divisive" active brand (EMG lol) and the lauded fluence moderns.

IMO: None suck, but some do stand out as being really really cool for some things. (Both lace and the moderns for their clean tones, to my ears)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
The Lace pickups sounded totally dead to me for clean, but decent for distortion

Schecter with EMGs sounded best. Good balance of chunk and clarity.

Fishmans in the Blackat second best. Well balanced overall.

The Lundgrens don't do it for me at all.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
The Lace pickups sounded totally dead to me for clean, but decent for distortion

Schecter with EMGs sounded best. Good balance of chunk and clarity.

Fishmans in the Blackat second best. Well balanced overall.

The Lundgrens don't do it for me at all.
Sounds like you like the brighter sounding ones in this case haha. I think the Fluences sound best to me overall personally. I like what the laces do in general too. All good, but I still haven't quite figured out the reason behind the m8 hype

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Sounds like you like the brighter sounding ones in this case haha. I think the Fluences sound best to me overall personally. I like what the laces do in general too. All good, but I still haven't quite figured out the reason behind the m8 hype

I'm currently trying to choose 8 string pups. Aren't the M8s at least more dynamic than the Fishmans? Have you ever tried some big brand 8 passives and compared to the Fishmans?