8 string pickup options!

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Hello all,

Buying my first 8 string here soon. As cliche as it sounds I want to get the best setup to djent on. I am going to be grabbing an interceptor pro 828 and will most likely tune to EAEADGBE. My major concern is clarity on the low end. I am used to running active pups (EMGs) on my 6 and 7 string guitars and have never really disliked them. However I have no experience with passive pups and was wondering if investing in a pair of bare knuckle pups or lundgren pups would be worth it. Please any and all help us appreciated. Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
Lundgren m8, the father of djents signature pup, can't lose. Best I've heard myself, and I think it's worth $200 if it actually is as amazing as it seems (808 might be least fave pup btw)

RobbYoung

Psalm Mutes End Wars
Reaction score
My 808's are SUPER BASSY on the low notes, the output is just silly on them, and almost nowt on the non-wound strings. Would strongly advise staying away from them if you want clarity.

jarledge

Reaction score
I've got a dc800 and am going to change out the pickups. I'd like to go with the lace alumitone deathbars or dimarzio paf 8 strings. I might go with ionizers too though. It will depend on what sort of deal i can get on a set of them.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
What pickups will the 828 come with? If they're the stock passive Cepheus, I'd say give them a try, you might like them (I have an 828 with those, and I think they're great)!

If they're active... I haven't played the Cepheus Actives myself, though they seem to be regarded as adequate. I've played guitars with 808's, and I'm not a fan (or of most EMG's), but the 57/66-8 seem to be getting good reviews.

Passive options aren't limited to BKP and Lundgren (though I can vouch for BKP at least being worth the $$, IMO); lots of folks swear by the Dimarzio Ionizers and D Activator 8's, and the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient set.

Love to hear what you end up with!

TommyG

Tommy G
Reaction score
I put PAF 7's in my Ibanez 7 and they are great.
Don't let the lower output fool you, they can djent with the best.
Clarity is great.
I'd give the PAF 8's a try....

Latest posts