What brand of strings do you use and why?

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hate the feeling of rusty strings and their short life so I use Elixirs. I can play them daily for months and they are still good. They might not sound the best but they sound better for longer than other strings. Normal strings from another brand last like a week.

Whatever they coat elixirs prob give you cancer or some shit. I always wash my hands well after using them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Winspear, since I’m pretty anal about gauges. The ability to get exactly the tension I want without an upcharge is great. Last ages, sound fantastic, and I’ve only broken two strings in the last 18 months or so.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
My two cents, which you might wanna try.

From years of gigging and trying different strings, I've found that there's virtue in keeping things simple, namely:

1. Buy long lasting
2. By the cheapest WITH good tone (as a 50% hike in price almost never results in 50% hike in tone/performance)
3. Buy something you can buy anywhere in the world, so you'll know you can get it in a tricky situation and will have consistency.
4. Buy what you can easily get singles for.
5. Don't get suckered-in by string companies inventing unnecessary sh1t to grow their revenues from a stagnant string market (Cobalt hex-core coated strings packed in helium gas anyone?)

On these criteria, D'Addario XLs are tough to beat. Great tone, if not the best, very long-lasting, durable, available everywhere and are excellent value for money. It also helped me greatly to have the same make across all guitars.

Your mileage (and tastes) may vary (I hate coated strings; EBs subjectively don't have longevity; but you may prefer them). And of course, if you're not regularly gigging, my criteria are less of an issue.

And no, D'Addario are NOT my favourite string for tone: EB Nickels are, but to me they lose tone too quickly and are not so much better than D'Addarios. Ditto for nylons, where my favourite are Savarez: just a pity their tone lasts one day.

Finally, the only string advance I've seen in the last 30 years worth buying-into was D'Addario's nylon string composite 3rd, which is genuinely an advance on the old 3rd-string-dull-tone-mismatch most classical/flamenco players have had to live with for decades.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Another vote for Winspear. I also used D'Addario for years, still like them. Tried the NYXLs and liked those too. Bought a guitar with Elixirs on it and thought they were cool too.
Many people swear by Ernie Balls, so it must be a personal thing, but I hate them. They sound so twangy and tinny, I swear I can hear it/feel it over the amp.

Last edited:

TheDandy

Reaction score
Just curious, what's the public opinion on DR strings? I've tried a few sets and liked them fine but I know a couple people who can't stand them.

Austin

Reaction score
I generally play Elixirs since they last so much longer and feel smoother under my fingers (I know FastFret works for that too).

For me they're a good fit for guitars with Evertune bridges since I don't like changing the strings on them as much (more time-consuming vs a regular fixed bridge due to the allen key fine tuners etc ).

That said, Daddario NYXLs might sound better for recording.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just curious, what's the public opinion on DR strings? I've tried a few sets and liked them fine but I know a couple people who can't stand them.
I tried a set of their uncoated strings 20+ years ago and they were just OK. I went back to D'Addario XL with my next string change.

But once I discovered coated strings, I settled on DR very quickly. I switched to Neons on my fretted bass and Black Beauties on my guitars. They don't feel slick the way Elixirs do, and they last way longer than uncoated strings (although they have a tendency to eventually chip/wear off their coating where you pick them, especially on the uncoated strings). They sound like a set of broken-in strings from the day you put them on. For some that may be a con, but I like a darker tone and it works for me.

Currently, I use Stringjoys on most of my guitars. I've been building some custom sets for specific tunings, and I like having a wound G string on most of my guitars. I'd prefer to use Black Beauties, but feel > tone for me when it comes to choosing strings, and the ability to customize my string gauges for the tension I want is my top consideration at the moment.

Exceptions that don't get Stringjoys:

Strat in E Standard - D'Addario NYXL 9-42. I actually want the brightness of uncoated strings for my strat tone, and D'Addario makes the best sounding/feeling/durability uncoated strings that I've played.
4 string fretted bass - DR Neons
5 string fretless bass - Rotosound flatwounds

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
My two cents, which you might wanna try.

From years of gigging and trying different strings, I've found that there's virtue in keeping things simple, namely:

1. Buy long lasting
2. By the cheapest WITH good tone (as a 50% hike in price almost never results in 50% hike in tone/performance)
3. Buy something you can buy anywhere in the world, so you'll know you can get it in a tricky situation and will have consistency.
4. Buy what you can easily get singles for.
5. Don't get suckered-in by string companies inventing unnecessary sh1t to grow their revenues from a stagnant string market (Cobalt hex-core coated strings packed in helium gas anyone?)

On these criteria, D'Addario XLs are tough to beat. Great tone, if not the best, very long-lasting, durable, available everywhere and are excellent value for money. It also helped me greatly to have the same make across all guitars.

Your mileage (and tastes) may vary (I hate coated strings; EBs subjectively don't have longevity; but you may prefer them). And of course, if you're not regularly gigging, my criteria are less of an issue.

And no, D'Addario are NOT my favourite string for tone: EB Nickels are, but to me they lose tone too quickly and are not so much better than D'Addarios. Ditto for nylons, where my favourite are Savarez: just a pity their tone lasts one day.

Finally, the only string advance I've seen in the last 30 years worth buying-into was D'Addario's nylon string composite 3rd, which is genuinely an advance on the old 3rd-string-dull-tone-mismatch most classical/flamenco players have had to live with for decades.
P.S: I do sometimes wonder how much the string's innate sound matters in a purely digital modelling rig. After all, if modelling can make my XLs sound like phosphor-bronze 12 strings, nylon strings, sitar strings or, say, EB super slinkies on a Charvel superstrat running thru a Mesa Boogie, does it really matter how your strings sound?

Necky379

Reaction score
I like them a lot. If I wasn’t playing GHS I’d play DR or Dean Markley Blue Steel. DR have a nice stiff feeling I like for tremolo picking, in comparison GHS is a bendier string which I prefer for everything else. I think, I don’t know, it’s due to the core and angle of the wraps.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been trying a lot of different strings lately. D'Addario XL, NYXL, & Pro Steels, Ernie Ball Cobalt, Stringjoy, Curt Mangan stainless... I think I'm gonna stick with the NYXL. I also need singles to make my custom set of
54 38 28 20w 15 11 for drop-D @A=432Hz on 24.75". I get NYXL singles for the 4 wound strings and Optima gold- or silver-plated plain strings. StringsByMail.com or JustStrings.com usually have what I need. It ends up costing almost $20/set this way, but the closest pre-packed sets never have more than 3 of the gauges I need.
The NYXL's seem to have a stronger midrange presence and the gold-plated plain strings sound smoother, not as harsh as plain steel.
Stainless steel has less tension than the same gauges of nickel-plated steel, so they have more fret buzz and are too lacking in mids. I like bright, but the "brighter" stainless strings don't sound better to me.
My 25" scale gets 52 37 26 20w 14 11 for the same tuning, and my 27" baritone in drop-A gets 68 49 37 26 20w 14. None of these come in sets so I have to get singles for everything.
Drop-D is a very common tuning but no one makes a drop-D set (only the 6th string is heavier). They do the 'light-top/heavy-bottom' set, which makes no sense... when do we ever drop-tune just the 3 bottom strings? And to use that for drop-D, the 52 is right, but 42 & 30 for A & d are too much.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I use GHS Boomers. That's what my dad used when I started learning how to play, I started with using his old sets after I changed them, got decent at playing, he started splitting his cases of strings with me, and I've never had the urge to use anything different.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Funny story: I used to HATE D'Addario NYXL strings. They always felt weird, like more tense than normal strings, and it feels like every time I bought a set NYXLs one of the thinner strings would snap. This was more or less when the NYXL strings were still a new product.

Now though I've been using the 9-80 NYXLs set for a few years because it's the only set that sort of makes sense that's also locally available. So yeah now obviously I've had more good sets than bad sets, but if you asked me 7 years ago...

As a kid it really pissed me off buying more expensive strings just for them to feel worse and break after a few hours of use...

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
D' Addario NXYL are my go to strings.
They don't last so much longer then regular XL but it's the only brand I've tried that holds true to their statement, plus they sound bright and feel good to play.

When I want something "cheaper" regular XL or Elixirs are hard to beat.

EB are a big no for me. They absolutely disappear in a week and they sound absolutely dull.

Other brands that didn't like are Pyramid, Dunlop and GHS boomer.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I switch beteween DA and EB, whatever is on sale in bulk.

I used to debate myself between using 10-46 or 11-52, and finally came over a set that is in between those. Laso have some other pairs, some heavyer gauges for heavier tunings - but still mostly DA and EB in different sizes. For me they deliver good enough quality for nice price.

Most of my guitars are set up for those:

1718714949248.png

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
80% of my guitars use D'addario strings (usually regular EXL's, but sometimes I spring for the NYXL's).
-Reason: Good price, widely available, feel good, last a long time for non-coated strings.
20% of my guitars use Ernie Ball
-Reason: I prefer D'adddario but EB offer some particular string gauges which offers more convenience than building custom sets. Decent strings overall.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Funny story: I used to HATE D'Addario NYXL strings. They always felt weird, like more tense than normal strings, and it feels like every time I bought a set NYXLs one of the thinner strings would snap. This was more or less when the NYXL strings were still a new product.

Now though I've been using the 9-80 NYXLs set for a few years because it's the only set that sort of makes sense that's also locally available. So yeah now obviously I've had more good sets than bad sets, but if you asked me 7 years ago...

As a kid it really pissed me off buying more expensive strings just for them to feel worse and break after a few hours of use...

NYXLs have become my "easy button" strings. They seem to solve the minor ills of any guitar. Doesn't stay in tune as it should? Doesn't feel like home? Notes don't quite jump out as they should? NYXLs make it go away. 🤩

I've only got one Charvel and one Jackson left to make the switch and all my BCRs have them. Will start trying some of the ESPs next. Maybe even Ibanez? I'm going to have to find the best bulk deals. Maybe even sell some of my previous stockpile....there is generally no going back from NYXLs. I've only gone back on a single guitar thus far because it felt better with Curt Mangans (more slinky).

I don't really feel like traditional Strats or Teles need them. XLs are fine for those and more twangy anyway.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
NYXLs have become my "easy button" strings. They seem to solve the minor ills of any guitar. Doesn't stay in tune as it should? Doesn't feel like home? Notes don't quite jump out as they should? NYXLs make it go away. 🤩

I've only got one Charvel and one Jackson left to make the switch and all my BCRs have them. Will start trying some of the ESPs next. Maybe even Ibanez? I'm going to have to find the best bulk deals. Maybe even sell some of my previous stockpile....there is generally no going back from NYXLs. I've only gone back on a single guitar thus far because it felt better with Curt Mangans (more slinky).

I don't really feel like traditional Strats or Teles need them. XLs are fine for those and more twangy anyway.
I don't know. Just now I bought 6 packs of 10-46 and 6 loose 52s from Ernie Ball. All for 40€. That's like what, 2 maybe 3 NYXL packs? 🤣🤣

Marked Man

Reaction score
I don't know. Just now I bought 6 packs of 10-46 and 6 loose 52s from Ernie Ball. All for 40€. That's like what, 2 maybe 3 NYXL packs? 🤣🤣

Fortunately, I'm very content with standard sets for the most part, either 10-46, 9-46, or rarely 9-42. The idea of Stringjoy 9.5-46 is intriguing though. I bought my first set of that recently for my Horizon.

And I need to finally try NYXL 10-59 for the UV.

Latest posts