8-string players, be afraid: Musiclab RealEight 8-string guitar Vsti

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Superior Drummer, ZomBass, and now RealEight.

Damn, all I need to do now is export all of the tracks from my Guitar Pro files into my DAW and throw EZMix on it.:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
So.. all we need is to await SkyNet AI reaching a state of self-consciousness, and we'll have yet another wave of NewFakeAge musick, only now played by virtual robotics..

Metal Gods save us from the above, as displaced as the below; I'll still have dem nice shiny bottles with metal shrapnels in near vacuum, thank you very much!

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I know they make more money than us.

Every high school freshman kid with a 3 line rap about money and hoes wants a custom beat.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
dogzerof.gif

Mrjonez

Reaction score
OK so I have a question because I want more than one opinion in this. So I'm considering selling my ltd h-308 and going down to a 7 string (mainly because I don't use very low tunings anymore) so would the ltd m417 be a good trade or should I wait for the 1007?

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
So, programmed 8-string music sounds as uninspired as traditionally recorded 8-string music? Do we chalk that up as a net positive or a negative? :lol:

Depends on how much auto tune they need to make their singer incapable of live performance.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I think this is awesome actually:hbang:

I've been playing around with making ungodly low-tuned sludge metal with VSTi bass run through amp sims. I may very well pick this bit of software up in the future and see what it can do.

As long as people aren't trying to pass the stuff off as real guitar playing, I think VSTi is a great alternative for experimental heavy music. Coolness:cool:

Sumsar

Reaction score
Well it is still as fake as a strippers ...., but then again thats what metalcore and djent is all about right? editing and time aligned guitars, bass, drums and vocals (with the vocals also being autotuned or with cupped mic).

This just skips all the time alignment and editing of the guitars and the time spent recording it :lol:

Reaction score
Well it is still as fake as a strippers ...., but then again thats what metalcore and djent is all about right? editing and time aligned guitars, bass, drums and vocals (with the vocals also being autotuned or with cupped mic).

This just skips all the time alignment and editing of the guitars and the time spent recording it :lol:

I kinda find some truth in this post...In my first songs, I used to edit a lot, and repeat guitar parts and such...but in the last years I've tried to take a more organic point of view in the recordings of my tracks. Even if a chorus or a verse is the same as the previous, I like to record it again. I feel I'm giving the song a human side; sometimes I can't difference the take from the first chorus from the second, but I still think that gives a different feel. I do the same with vocals, bass, and everything I record. I still edit, but just to get rid of small mistakes, things I don't like, mingle takes and things like that. As for vocal tuning apps, I use them to correct small mistakes to what are already good takes of my voice, but I try to avoid going into the computer-vocal sound.

This is a small example of the approach I took with my latest song. By the way, this is a real guitar (Not VSTi), lol, just in case. An Ibanez 7-string.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/leechmaster/libre[/SC]

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's so much indirect compliments in this thread. Before I picked up a real guitar, I had to rely on sample libraries like this. Even in the decently done demo, repeated notes sound plastic as hell, and it's the reason I picked up guitar in the first place. The lead guitars all sound really weird too. The only thing that sounds convincing is the low chugging.

I'm all for tools that let people create music that they like. I absolutely adore the idea of an authentic sounding vsti that lets keyboardists program great sounding guitar tracks, but these really do just sound lame imo.

Not 8 string, but these two tracks really are some of the nicest sounding "fake" guitars I've ever heard, and even they sound a little cheesy:

V-METAL Video - Awakening

V-METAL Video - Brave New World

edit Also, don't think it's as simple as copy pasta. If you import midi into these libraries they sound like .... and it requires a lot of key switching/velocity layers/mod wheel/pitch wheel stuff. It's not even remotely simple to program a halfway decent track. If you're fluent with keyboard, they're good alternatives to learning a completely new instrument, but if you're a guitarist they're not really worth the trouble.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
The whole editing thing is nothing new, nor is it a djent or metal core thing (I don't care for either genre).

Tape machines had slots in them for using a razor blade to cut the tape and put them back together.

One of my teachers at college was Jack Richardson and he gave a live demonstration of a box he used (during the 70s and 80s) to select between tracks playing live to bounce to a new track to create a comp'd track. He would listen to each track once. Than be ready to go (the guy was a legend) and he would switch in the middle of ....ing words to get the best sounding take.

Super processed music has existed as long as the music industry has. It's just easy and cheaper to do it now.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
It sounds so unnatural.

Well, I mean, it is.

But still. Unlistenable to me.