a good router recommendation

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
So Im not finding any local luthiers that wanna do the routing for me so im looking at doing it myself. Looking to install my Fixed LoPro in my RGAIX6FM but dont want to pick up a shitty router. The cavity doesnt have to be any deeper than the pickup cavities, and then theres the two post holes and the hole under the tail of the trem. Does anyone have a good recommendation for me? I know ill have to make a jig for it, and no im not concerned about beating up the finish since its a veneer top anyways.

preview.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score

If it's just for one job why not just get a body? Sell your old one

But I've used Dewalt 26200 and Bosch POF 1400 and they're both pretty good. I find getting a good quality brand is better than cheaping out.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

If it's just for one job why not just get a body? Sell your old one

But I've used Dewalt 26200 and Bosch POF 1400 and they're both pretty good. I find getting a good quality brand is better than cheaping out.

It is only one job (wish I could have found someone with experience who wouldve taken it on. I had one guy who was REALLY good but he ghosted me once i had the guitar in my hands.) and while im not disregarding the suggestion of the ebay route, its not a full Floyd/LoPro so the routing wont work. I could reach out to them to inquire, but then i have the cost of the body, then the cost to finish...... would be considerably more than just the router or paying a luthier for the mod. Thank you for the router suggestion though , i agree about the getting a quality brand since I want it

31524_Used_MTM1_Red_C00008_1_920a67ea-1496-40de-bf50-8862701f3525_720x720.jpg

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I have a triton JOF001 which I can really recommend. It's not that expensive (200€ or so) and good quality. It also has a few things that most other hand held routers in that price range do not have that make it a much more future proof choice (you can get collets up to 1/2", there is a plunger for the height setting of you ever table mount it etc).

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a triton JOF001 which I can really recommend. It's not that expensive (200€ or so) and good quality. It also has a few things that most other hand held routers in that price range do not have that make it a much more future proof choice (you can get collets up to 1/2", there is a plunger for the height setting of you ever table mount it etc).

thank you, i appreciate the heck of the recommendations!

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Definitely look for a used plunge router on craigslist/fb marketplace or check Harbor Freight. Don't get any kind of trim router or fixed router. Trim routers are underpowered and fixed routers suck for this purpose. I'd say you want at least a 2HP motor. You need something with enough power that it won't bog down while cutting.

I'd also highly recommend practicing on some scrap wood before committing to routing your guitar as a newbie.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I'm my opinion the router is less important than the technique needed to achieve the goal. Sure it matters, but I made several guitars with a $100 Masterforce router from Menards and it was choice. Bit selection, sharpness, removal of excess material with a drill press or make shallow passes, how to reduce the chance of tearout etc.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm my opinion the router is less important than the technique needed to achieve the goal. Sure it matters, but I made several guitars with a $100 Masterforce router from Menards and it was choice. Bit selection, sharpness, removal of excess material with a drill press or make shallow passes, how to reduce the chance of tearout etc.

Totally this. :yesway:

That said, a Bosch Colt or MR23 would be your best bet for the tool. Bit wise, StewMac has some decent affordable (~$30) bit sets that should accomplish what you need.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

One thing i always did back in the day was after i have the cutting outline in place, id take an exacto knife and trace the outline of the cut going about a half inch down or so, so that if there is blowout, its more likely the top would break out with a clean line. Then I would just do cleanup inside of the routing while the top stayed mostly intact. It doesnt always work, but id say it helps tremendously.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally this. :yesway:

That said, a Bosch Colt or MR23 would be your best bet for the tool. Bit wise, StewMac has some decent affordable (~$30) bit sets that should accomplish what you need.

Thanks Max, youre always so helpful!

col

blah.
Reaction score
I've done all my 15'ish builds so far with the $40 Katsu router off amazon. I'd get a small trimmer for pickup cavities rather than some big beast. I have an old made in switzerland ELU that I almost never use after getting the small palm router.

Bits are more important than the router imho. For small jobs like cavities I always use the Amana Tools 45475-S bit, or similar short bit.