A good time to buy my book...

• Thread starter Maniacal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've said it before, but I can't really recommend this enough. It's a superb resource whatever your skill level or particular style of metal.:yesway:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck it... Bought and paid for. Maybe i'll find some interesting stuff to motivate me to practice more. :yesway:

Maniacal

Reaction score
just wondering how the DVD os set out, is it one long instructiojnal dvd or is it in sections with parts that accompany the sections in the book

The DVD is mainly there to show what I try to explain in the book. Do not expect any explosions, naked women or showing off.

I also play the 2 "songs" on the DVD as well

Here is a clip of the DVD:

YouTube - Riff Training Level 1 clip

Please remember, this book is only Level 1. Level 2 will be out early next year and will push even a very advanced player.

Also, the stuff in the first book is very useful. I still use most of the exercises in it today, and i have been using them for years.

I do the entire warm up routine every time I do one of my guitar workshops.

Another plug...If you are local to me (unlikely I know) you may be interested in coming to some of my workshops:

Home Page

To those who brought my book, thank you very much.

S-O shipping should take about 3-5 days and I will be sending it tomorrow.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for buying my book.

Being self published makes it basically impossible to sell my book anywhere so its really nice to be able to get some support on here.

:shred:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for buying my book.

Being self published makes it basically impossible to sell my book anywhere so its really nice to be able to get some support on here.

:shred:

I think just slightly more showing off might be good for you?
Don't know. :shrug:

Maniacal

Reaction score
I might get a copy if you let me try out the F8... :lol:

I really want to play a fanned fret 8 again...

If ever you are near Newbury/Reading you are welcome to try it out.

I think just slightly more showing off might be good for you?
Don't know. :shrug:

I am not really into that for the books. I want my books to be a serious reference manual, not an excuse to show off and promote myself.

I am in the process of recording some stuff anyway, that should help get me "out there" a bit more.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Some more vids for me to drool over would be cool :p

But that's cool that you are working on some material, can't wait to hear it!

I need a fast forward on the next week so I can get this book XD

Maniacal

Reaction score
Will book 2 have more theory? Or just all technique?

The second book will cover theory as well. But not all the stuff that has been covered for guitarists 1,000,000 times before. Mainly arpeggios and inversions, lots of them!

For example, in the sweep picking chapter I have written out the major 7 arpeggio shapes and the inversions. Then the major 7 sharp 5 and its inversions. Then the other 324343 arpeggios.

Then I have written out all of those arpeggios but for tapping all over the neck.
The idea here is that once you have mastered both approaches you can play any arpeggio or inversion from anywhere on the neck.

Here is my bad description of Level 2 from my forum:

Riff Training Level 2 gets very in depth with everything.

The book is looking to be about 150-170 pages long, it will also include a far higher quality DVD.

Some features:

LEGATO
I have 2 workouts devoted to legato. One of them is committed to speed and endurance, the other is aimed at developing complicated sequences, improving coordination and getting to grips with subdivisions.
I am not a fan of pure speed, I think these 2 workouts will give you a good balance of speed and taste.

TAPPING
There is an entire chapter on pick hand tapping development. This starts off with simple 1 finger tapping ideas and evolves into 3 finger ideas. I don't teach 4 finger tapping as I do not feel it has a very practical application in a “Riffing” context.

SWEEP PICKING
The sweep picking chapter is huge! Firstly, I cover dozens of sequences and combinations. I then mix this up with picking sequences, legato sequences and tapping.....sequences. Then I combine all of these ideas with riffs.
I cover most of the arpeggios you are likely to encounter – minor, major, dominant, major 7, minor 7, major 7 #5, minor 7 b5 etc etc etc the list goes on and on and on.
The second part of the sweeping chapter is...yes, you guessed it, a workout!!! I love workouts!
And to finish this chapter, I have written 2 etudes.

PICKING
The picking chapter includes a new speed workout and a new endurance workout. Its working very well for me, on a good day I am hitting 270bpm 16ths! Which is a speed for me, anyway.
I have noticed a weakness in many players string skipping, I have some very useful exercises designed to combat this.

Left and right hand coordination studies also goes to a new level (pun intended) as I cover sequences of 5 and 7 then mix these up with sequences of 2/3/4 to create very colourful phrases and riffs.

The picking chapter ends with some very advanced technical metal riffs and also my own advanced picking etude.

RHYTHM
This is probably going to be the biggest chapter. I cover more subdivisions, modulation and displacement. I will be taking riffs used in previous chapters and explaining how to use rhythmic ideas to totally change the original riff, essentially allowing you create dozens of riffs from 1 idea.

New to this chapter is polyrhythms, which I cover on 1 guitar.

THE TUNES
The last main chapter has 3 pieces of music, this time they will be more like songs and less like exercises (and I will have a MAC THAT WORKS!!!).
I have 1 technical death metal song, 1 thrash, and a very advanced groove based one (on a 7 string) EDIT NOW ON AN 8 STRING BECAUSE SOME BASTARD STOLE MY 7

TO FINISH
The practice routine in this book will span 3 days, this is due to the fact that there is so much stuff to work on.

At the end I explain an easy method for remembering the major, melodic minor and harmonic minor modes.
I then show their relative arpeggios and chords.

Basically, if you can play everything in this book at a reasonable tempo, you will be very well rounded in terms of technique. That isn't the order of the contents and there is also a lot of stuff that I haven't talked about, but that's a taster.

I am also thinking of including a separate practice diary with targets etc.

Level 2 was meant to be out this January, sadly I am not selling enough copies of Level 1 to even think about level 2 for at least 18 months.

Never be self published, nobody will stock my book. This is where a good reputation online would be useful!