A love letter to the Ibanez Universe

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I think it's over appreciated and so are JEMs. :scratch:

giphy.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The seven string guitar is not too novel, they've been made for hundreds and hundreds of years. Finding a market for them to be mass produced is the only novel thing to the UV 7 string guitars. I understand they are iconic and have unique specs otherwise, those are decent reasons to prefer and/or collect them. Putting them on a pedestal otherwise is a bit romantic and sensational I think. In my eyes they're just another basswood body with a maple neck that people worship for reasons they don't fully comprehend or wish to acknowledge the subjective origins of. "It was the first" isn't really a reason to say it's the best or write it a love letter, maybe to Ibanez for taking a small chance on such a slight and otherwise unremarkable deviation from their absolute norm for an artist with diamond hands. Outside of this exact forum the UV fan club is absolutely brimming with people who praise it simple because of Vai. It's a RG with different inlays to me, and I used to hold them in exceptional regard before I actually played one. I don't really have strong opinions about it, other than the complete confusion about how a lot of people love them.

I'm not watching another fucking YT video about guitar, my recommendation algorithm is fucked because of this shit. If someone wants to beat me over the head with facts from the video and their own opinions on them I'm all ears. If I wanted to spend 10+ minutes watching one person's opinion I'd shove my head up my ass and bump into things.
1200x1200bb.jpg

Reaction score
The seven string guitar is not too novel, they've been made for hundreds and hundreds of years. Finding a market for them to be mass produced is the only novel thing to the UV 7 string guitars. I understand they are iconic and have unique specs otherwise, those are decent reasons to prefer and/or collect them. Putting them on a pedestal otherwise is a bit romantic and sensational I think. In my eyes they're just another basswood body with a maple neck that people worship for reasons they don't fully comprehend or wish to acknowledge the subjective origins of. "It was the first" isn't really a reason to say it's the best or write it a love letter, maybe to Ibanez for taking a small chance on such a slight and otherwise unremarkable deviation from their absolute norm for an artist with diamond hands. Outside of this exact forum the UV fan club is absolutely brimming with people who praise it simple because of Vai. It's a RG with different inlays to me, and I used to hold them in exceptional regard before I actually played one. I don't really have strong opinions about it, other than the complete confusion about how a lot of people love them.

I'm not watching another fucking YT video about guitar, my recommendation algorithm is fucked because of this shit. If someone wants to beat me over the head with facts from the video and their own opinions on them I'm all ears. If I wanted to spend 10+ minutes watching one person's opinion I'd shove my head up my ass and bump into things.
I parcialy agree with this, since a guitar is only as good as its setup and double locking guitars are harder to setup correctly than LPs or Strats, more so being 7 strings...

My previously posted UV was a mess when I got her (yes, I use the she/her pronouns for my guitars), playable but nothing special. Some upgrades later and she rocks harder than any other her siblings (other UVs).

I must say that I was entertaining the video until OP said that the pickups are mid output. WTF? DiMarzio Blaze are THE starting point on ALL passive 7 string high output pickups. They may be a 30+ years old design but are far from not being modern nor contemporary. These pickups are still relevant in modern heavy music. The video lost me there. If OP's guitar has low output, that's OP's guitar, not the pickups' design fault. This comment alone killed my interest in watching the rest, as the 1st half didn't do me nothing but introducing the concept of a rising importance of rhythm guitar versus lead guitar. Yes, it gained more popularity, but separating role play like this is missing the point on creative freedom in arts/music...

Having this said, the UV model I posted earlier was the first 7 stringer I ever played (not the 1st I owned) back in 1997/1998 in a shop near my college This leaft a mark in me and when the opportunity arose... and I still follow UV sales in the used market. It's the only sig guitar that makes me smile and think in "what if...".

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Especially those 90s universes with the smaller necks and block heel. A 97 silver dot is one of my cum buckets list guitars.
Well if I ever need quick cash I'll sell you mine, it's easily the "worst" UV of my three.

Edit - I should add I still love it and probably won't ever sell it and will end up passing it on to my child.

Utkarsh Mohan

Reaction score
I parcialy agree with this, since a guitar is only as good as its setup and double locking guitars are harder to setup correctly than LPs or Strats, more so being 7 strings...

My previously posted UV was a mess when I got her (yes, I use the she/her pronouns for my guitars), playable but nothing special. Some upgrades later and she rocks harder than any other her siblings (other UVs).

I must say that I was entertaining the video until OP said that the pickups are mid output. WTF? DiMarzio Blaze are THE starting point on ALL passive 7 string high output pickups. They may be a 30+ years old design but are far from not being modern nor contemporary. These pickups are still relevant in modern heavy music. The video lost me there. If OP's guitar has low output, that's OP's guitar, not the pickups' design fault. This comment alone killed my interest in watching the rest, as the 1st half didn't do me nothing but introducing the concept of a rising importance of rhythm guitar versus lead guitar. Yes, it gained more popularity, but separating role play like this is missing the point on creative freedom in arts/music...

Having this said, the UV model I posted earlier was the first 7 stringer I ever played (not the 1st I owned) back in 1997/1998 in a shop near my college This leaft a mark in me and when the opportunity arose... and I still follow UV sales in the used market. It's the only sig guitar that makes me smile and think in "what if...".
Hmm both the UV7P and the UV777P I had and sold felt like they had mid not high output pickups. Maybe it's time affecting the pickups, which is quite commonplace on vintage guitars. Maybe it's just how the feel of modern pickups has changed dramatically. A B with a Ragnarok or something, and the difference is dramatic.
Also a side note. Not having high output pickups is not a design fault

Utkarsh Mohan

Reaction score
Cool video. One of my favorite guitars. I've had some get away, including a dead mint one that became a case queen for 12 years. I've owned 3 1991 models in the past and I currently own a 1990 and it's definitely staying with me as I've learned my lesson. I love my 1990 enough to hold onto it for good.

Here are my UVs, both BKs are 1991 models, PWH is 1990~
View attachment 145836
View attachment 145837
Quite a collection. Thank you for sharing

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Interestingly those highlighted bits are why I think it's an especially noteworthy instrument.
Fair enough though; but just out of curiosity, what would you put on that pedestal if not for the UV?

Ugh, I know right! Wish I had the dosh to scoop one but alas those were too far out of reach.
I do have a sweet RG920 tribute to those guitars though! [haha a tribute to a tribute]

20190313-190439.jpg
Nice!

One of them sold on Reverb for circa £5k a year or two ago.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are what they are. Quirky, inconsistent, dated, difficult to work on now, and honestly most weren't really built great, but there's just something about them that just works. Definitely a "greater than the sum" sort of magic.

I've owned just about them all, and many variations. Still have a few that I feel are worth keeping forever.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
They are what they are. Quirky, inconsistent, dated, difficult to work on now, and honestly most weren't really built great, but there's just something about them that just works. Definitely a "greater than the sum" sort of magic.

I've owned just about them all, and many variations. Still have a few that I feel are worth keeping forever.

Jeez, it's like you didn't even watch the video!

Reaction score
Hmm both the UV7P and the UV777P I had and sold felt like they had mid not high output pickups. Maybe it's time affecting the pickups, which is quite commonplace on vintage guitars. Maybe it's just how the feel of modern pickups has changed dramatically. A B with a Ragnarok or something, and the difference is dramatic.
Also a side note. Not having high output pickups is not a design fault
Super hot pickups became popular when amps hadn't that much gain and needed extra mojo either from the pickups or pedal add-ons. I've moved away from those since they're harder to get good clean tones from and my rig does have gain for days. Lower output pickups have more clarity as well, IMO.

However, DiMarzio Blaze pickups ARE NOT mid output pickups. You either had ones with a dead magnet, the pickups installed in the guitars weren't Blaze ones or your rig doesn't/didn't have that much gain on tap.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Praising the UV for being a 7 without acknowledging classical 7s and 7’s that existed before sure feels like a term im sure you guys can guess :lol:

No issue with people loving their guitars and making videos as such, but maybe acknowledge the shoulders the guitar stands on :yesway:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Quite a collection. Thank you for sharing
Thanks and cheers.

The only negative thing I have ever had to say about the OG Universe is the cosmo chrome hardware pitting and eroding with time. I also think the paint chips very easily as well as my other Ibanez guitars, although my 2 Indo made 8-strings (RG8WH and SIR28FD) which are the only Indo made guitars I own, the paint seems to hold better. Not sure why this is but even though chips, cracks and dings may give the guitar some character, most people who covet these guitars want them in mint condition. I had one like that as I said previously but I never played it. So you win some and you lose some. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Pawn shops and guitar stores around me still consider the 7-string a "fad" and price 7s at $100-$199, regardless of the brand. I picked up a Cherry Fudge RG7421 for $99 a bit ago, so don't go ruining that now lol
I scored a black RG7421BK for 175 from a pawn shop a few years ago. Definitely players condition with chipped paint and rusty bridge but still what online stores would try to sell for 700 these days. I just really like the old pre-prestige neck sizes and profiles.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
What's the actual difference between RG7620 and UV7's? On paper they are exactly the same (minus the obvious pups guard inlays heel). I don't believe the cork sniffery. Why would UV magically be so much of a better guitar according to legions of forumites?