advice for getting proper 8 hr sleep?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Never had a problem before but for the last 3 months, I have been getting up 1-2 to go to the bathroom -- this is bad because i'm a light sleeper to begin with and its pretty difficult for me to go back to sleep after i wake up. So after I go to the bathroom, i find myself unable to go back to sleep and yea I end up playing guitar till I need to head to work.
As far as liquid intake i really havent changed much. I drink 95% water and usually alot before and after work. During work, I usually dont drink anything. I do drink during lunch. Prior I usually never wake up at night or had this issue. This issue is bad because i'm feeling sleepy now at work.
Anybody have this issue, if you do how did you fix it? maybe i shouldn't drink 1-2 hrs prior to sleep?

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d try drinking less before bed, and drinking more water throughout the day to make up for it. Seems like the easiest thing to try first.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I usually go to the bathroom every night around 3AM. I do the thing, wash my hands and straight back to bed - a full on Zombie mode.
As soon as I check my phone or start to think about anything, I lose my sleepy sleepy.

Water intake is a personal thing, but I'd recommend some relaxing herbal tea (green tea with mint) couple of hours before bedtime for some better zzz's.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
look up "sleep hygene". Its a thing. mostly common sense stuff but some factors you'd never think of are part of it.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Like @ShredmasterD said, look up good habits. The big one is not using your phone before bed, I will also add to try some good quality magnesium before you turn in. Try to seek out magnesium glyclinate, it has a better absorption than oxide or citrate and and helps achieve a deeper quality of sleep. I keep an herbal tincture of valerian root on the nightstand to use if I wake up in the middle of the night to help me go back to bed quickly. Valerian is essentially an herbal tranquillized that supports the nervous system. Give all that a try and you should be sleeping fine.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
100% tart cherry juice. At least 30 minutes before you go to bed. If you can make it an hour even better. When I got a new job my hours I could sleep got cut big time. I would drink 8-12 oz of cherry juice about an hour before I needed to go to bed. Slept 6 hours and woke up feeling great. I will say I think having a 35 minute drive home helped me a bit. Whenever I know I have to sleep, cherry juice is my go to.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I had to put some effort into regulating my sleep; no caffeine after 6PM, no food 2 hours before sleeping and most importantly, when I feel tired I go to sleep.

Ever since I was a kid I’ve felt if I were going to bed before 12AM that I‘d be ‘missing out’ on something. I‘m guessing it’s from having to go to bed when my parents would have friends over and you hear them laughing and having a good time.

A good meditation right before bed works wonders and I grabbed some 5-HTP that I’ll pop an hour before bed every so often, that stuff works great, but I don’t want my body becoming dependent on it.

vejichan

Reaction score
thanks for all the helpful responses:

So below are what i'm going to try starting today-
- Don't drink anything or use cellphone 1 hr before I sleep
- Don't eat anything 2 hours before I sleep
- Go to the bathroom right before I sleep

Gonna start simple and hope this will help/ Here is to at least 6 straight hrs of sleep tonight

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Go see a doctor. If you have previously never had an issue with waking up several times a night to go pee then your body is telling you something. If you were just waking up, then it could be stress and you might just need a vacation, but since it is your bladder waking you up (more than once), I doubt looking at a cellphone before bedtime is a contributing factor.

Go see a doctor. Also, don't google your symptoms looking for answers. Google will convince you that you have 6 months to live. See a doctor.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Get your prostate checked bro. When you get older or if you have a serious problem with your prostate it gets big and is putting pressure on your bladder, the getting up a lot at night to pee is one of the first symptoms if you are not drinking a ton before bed.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Melatonin pills, and a quality sleep mask. Just something soft/silk. Has been an absolute game changer for me. Especially if you’d rather not munch melotonin gummies or something.