AI Generated Metal...

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
That's incredible, how exciting. I remember the Archspire trained 24/7 generation that has been streaming since 2019 but this is very much more legitimate sounding

Still cool lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
It could easily be an Amon Amarth song lol! I like the fact that the AI made the female Orc play guitar instead of bass. A solo would have been beyond impressive, maybe on the next song lol!

But if this is really AI generated from start to finish, is there any point in composing music anymore?

nickgray

Reaction score
Time II has never been closer.

Uh, color me skeptical that this is really, fully AI generated
I'd be extremely surprised if it's an AI-generated waveform. But a MIDI which was then produced with VSTs (which could also be automated with an AI, I'm sure)? Seems way more plausible. Train it on freely available Guitar Pro files, commercialize it, profit. Same shit as with AI art, there were mentions that some generators made art with watermarks. It's not making stuff out if thin air, it's basically a parrot that has a lot of raw computing power behind it.

is there any point in composing music anymore?
Generative electronic music has been a thing for ages. This is just a fancier version. It's not going to magically create a bazillion previously unheard genres, it'll rely on its training data. Generic commercial viking melodeath in -> generic commercial viking melodeath out. Why even bother when you can always spin the latest Amon Amarth a couple of times in order to get it out of your system should the need arise?

Also, obviously, there are no real artists. So no live music, no Q&As, no interviews, no nothing.

Another obvious problem is that when the tech becomes good enough and easily accessible, the internet is going to be flooded with AI music. I think it's very likely that it'll make "real" music a more premium product if the internet will indeed get flooded dramatically (that remains to be seen, could go either way, imo). Same reason why some people are willing to pay a premium for handmade products.

On top of all that, there's no shortage of real music coming out every single day, not to mention the ever growing back catalogue. AI music is just going to dilute the pool even further, you already can't even begin to follow all the A-grade metal releases throughout the year, there's just too much good stuff coming out across dozens upon dozens of metal subgenres. Now you have to sift through AI generated music as well? Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
That's incredible, how exciting. I remember the Archspire trained 24/7 generation that has been streaming since 2019 but this is very much more legitimate sounding

Still cool lol

Sounds like a tape of something dyin'.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am currently an idiot and can't figure out how to merge the threads so screw it :rofl:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It could easily be an Amon Amarth song lol! I like the fact that the AI made the female Orc play guitar instead of bass. A solo would have been beyond impressive, maybe on the next song lol!

But if this is really AI generated from start to finish, is there any point in composing music anymore?
For fun! If you want to, what does it matter if you are 'in competition' with computers rather than other humans? (if you consider yourself in competition at all).
And if you enjoy the conceptualization and ideas rather than the minutae of the physical creation - you get AI to help you. If you don't want to use it, don't. Win win :)

Demiurge

Reaction score
I don't think that AI like this will put all musicians out of business necessarily, but I imagine that those who get contracted to produce "sound-alikes" of popular songs for commercials and TV shows might see competition.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It'll be like chess. You want to play the best game possible? You're going to need the computer providing you suggestions and scores, and your role is going to be closer to curator than creator.

As to whether there is any point in composing music anymore, if you don't find the process fun, probably not. But then in that case, why did you want to compose in the first place?

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everyone is a lot more impressed than when I posted the exact same thing 2 weeks ago lmao.

Edit: Thanks for having my back, @jaxadam - didn't see your post when I was rushing to post my outrage! :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Uh, color me skeptical that this is really, fully AI generated. I believe it's possible, but not this and not yet.

Not sure why you'd think that? Certainly the technology is there -- it's more a matter of if anybody has taken the time to grind it on this particular genre/data. Take a look at OpenAI's Jukebox, and that's quite an old model at this point, and also very general.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone is a lot more impressed than when I posted the exact same thing 2 weeks ago lmao.

Edit: Thanks for having my back, @jaxadam - didn't see your post when I was rushing to post my outrage! :lol:

Please see my response above :lol:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Glad they taught their AI how important it is for orc titties to be ridiculously jiggly.

Yes, because fuck that. If I were a cynical guy (I am), I'd say that this is a necessary and predictable result of industrial global capitalism, separating us from the creative impulse which, in the working class, is totally worthless to the ruling class. For the vast majority of people, pursuing the creative impulse is an inherently non-lucrative pastime, which is also inherently at odds with wage labor under massive economic precarity.

AI generation of art also reifies the algorithmic marketing strategies used to build pop songs and curate your instagram feed. When robots make all the art, they'll make the art they already know you want based on the 4 quadrillion data points they have on you and beam it directly to your Meta™ pituitary implant while you're shooting through the hyperloop to your job at the surveillance drone factory.

Anyway here's Stephen Wilson

Latest posts