Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire (Prog Metal)

• Thread starter Thorerges
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Very cool. Also nice that Danny commented. What a guy!
Guy is insane with his ear, he also covered the Cthulhu solo around 90% correct
Only reason we know its correct is cause another guy was taught by Morean himself and compared it to the video
Having said that, he has a hard time with Danny's material cause of those sudden rapid signature runs he does haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtHam

Reaction score
Guy is insane with his ear, he also covered the Cthulhu solo around 90% correct
Only reason we know its correct is cause another guy was taught by Morean himself and compared it to the video
Having said that, he has a hard time with Danny's material cause of those sudden rapid signature runs he does haha
I checked the video. Pretty cool though I'd say it sounds more like 70% right. The solo being in free time that's still good. On my headphones I still hear some big differences between the parts. Even in this Cephalopods video, though it's pretty good, I wouldn't say I'm blown away. His bends are woefully out of tune though and his vibrato is pretty bad. Some of the notes sound wrong, too. That being said I think it's great he's doing those covers.
Watching that I'm not surprised he can't play Danny's things. It pretty much conforms for me what I said before: Christian's things are easier to grasp, Danny's things are way harder and more extreme.
I realize now though that that's probably another reason why all these guys sound so good together, they're so damn diverse and different from each other.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Wow, Rise of the Cephalopods is nuts :lol: Absolutely loving it. I'll have to give the album a few more spins before I know which other songs I like the most, but it's definitely an awesome album! The only gripe I have with it is that the song title Kernel Panic feels wrong - I expected something in the vein of Scar Symmetry for that song. It's an awesome song, but the name feels wrong to me.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Wow this album is SICK!!!!!!

^ It's unbelievable! I still haven't finished it as I got myself trapped in the masterpiece "Chaos Theory and practice". An amazing mix of prog/death metal, sick riffs, insane rhythm, awesome solos. I am surprised how this album is not getting more feedback from SSO.

ArtHam

Reaction score
I think you're right. It is a very weird album, but I love it to pieces. Hasn't left my car stereo since I got it and I listen to it every single day. I did dabble in the new At The Gates, Amorphis, Ihsahn, Slugdge records but none of them grabbed me. Guess I'm still not done with this one.

R34CH

Counter Culture Bullet Vulture
Reaction score
This album is weird AF. I really like it so far.

mikah912

Reaction score
Alright...had to circleback around on this one.

This album is phenomenal when listened to in one sitting. Not that the individual tracks aren't great, but man....this is a stunning collection. Definitely the most "progressive" thing I've heard in death metal as of late. They stretched themselves and cover a huge dynamic range of moods, textures and tempos.

I just wish they were more of a living, touring band.

luislais

nothing ever happens
Reaction score
I have recently discovered this band, and they are great! They remember me to The Wretched End.

neurosis

Reaction score
This bandit incredible. Love the bass tone on this. It's insane. Awesome all around. I don't even care that the main riff is basically Cthulu 2.0 :D

That bridge with the Voivod vibes and the solo... holy shit.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Was so excited for this only to learn that Danny Tunker left the band a while ago due to some personal stuff. I love Christian, but Danny was such a killer player and it sucks to see him go.

FloridaRolf

Reaction score
I could never get into them and the new song didn't change that, a shame because top tier musicians
what the fuck is that chorus man

_RH_

Reaction score
what the fuck is that chorus man
if you can believe it, I think it's from ... a Shakira song. Yes you read that right! Here are the tracks on top of each other ha:
vocaroo.com/1hKQMkcIz4Ke

here they are on Dutch TV covering the song:

and here's the original:

Last edited:

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I definitely enjoy their heavier tracks more than the proggier stuff. As decreed by laws unwritten is a banger.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot about these dudes, listened to the Malkuth Grimoire a lot when that came out and I remember enjoying Liquid Anatomy, but for some reason never bought that one. Really dig that first solo in this new one.