Ampeg SS150 in all its glory! All hail solid state!

Gmork

Reaction score
Selling my ss150 (because i have 2) but just HAD to make a badass video with it before it goes.
If youre into it please sub!
I know its annoying to hear but id be ever so appreciative!
Theres another quality demo done and ready to post of the shivver distortion, just waiting for the go ahead from the builder unsound circuitry, so keep yer eyeballs peeled!
Anyway... Enjoy!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gmork

Reaction score
@TheBlackBard heh thanks. The trial and error for mic placement is annoying but worth it. Get it right going in as they say.
No post processing, just my stock platinum ironbird into the ss150h into my wacky randall 2x12+1x15 with a mic on a 12" swamp thang and a mic on the 15" legend.
Edit: and double tracked obviously

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I dont know fear other than its one of olas bands, or are you talking about a song called (blinded by fear)?

Yep the song above was what I meant. I just assumed it was popular enough on a metal forum, lol. That’s on me. Your demo/clip sounded like it would be great for that sound.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Wicked! I've long pined to just try one of these in person. Alas, they never show up locally so I'll just have to stick with the SNK VHD.

I know you've compared the VHD to the 140 preamp in another video and they're really close. Do you think I'm missing anything running the VHD into a Rocktron Velocity Poweramp?

Gmork

Reaction score
Wicked! I've long pined to just try one of these in person. Alas, they never show up locally so I'll just have to stick with the SNK VHD.

I know you've compared the VHD to the 140 preamp in another video and they're really close. Do you think I'm missing anything running the VHD into a Rocktron Velocity Poweramp?
Honestly i dont think so. As u might know i had a velocity and it has that depth control that can make the lowend really fat which i think could do a good job at recreating the lowend squishiness of the vh140/ss150 somewhat.
Hard to say without actually trying it myself but the vhd was essentially spot on to the ampeg sound that its really just a matter of pairing it up with the proper poweramp. The ultimate would be running it into a really nice tube poweramp like a mesa something or other or the fx return of a 5150 etc!!

Necky379

Reaction score
What are your settings? That sounded very good man, I always enjoy your stuff!

Gmork

Reaction score
What are your settings? That sounded very good man, I always enjoy your stuff!
Thanks a lot!
If i remember correctly i had Gain full, bass full, mids 1/2oclock, treble 3oclock and volume wasnt very loud (due to neighbours)
I used a randall 2x12" + 1x15" cab and had a mic on a 12" eminence swamp thang and a mic on the 15" eminence legend. Lots of trial and error with mic placement but found something i was happy with that sounded good to me

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Holy shitballs, that was a thicc tone for one of these....SS right? Is all the dirt coming from the amp? Jesus that sounds great.

The cab probably helps a ton too, that thing is glorious.

Gmork

Reaction score
Holy shitballs, that was a thicc tone for one of these....SS right? Is all the dirt coming from the amp? Jesus that sounds great.

The cab probably helps a ton too, that thing is glorious.
Haha thank you!! Yeah thats literally JUST guitar, amp cab 2 mics. No post processing or anything

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Now do blinded by fear

I'm not going to argue against anyone playing more Blinded by Fear, but is there a reason - did they use this amp? I love that tone. Surprisingly difficult to recreate tone that's bad in just the right kind of way.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue against anyone playing more Blinded by Fear, but is there a reason - did they use this amp? I love that tone. Surprisingly difficult to recreate tone that's bad in just the right kind of way.

I have nooooo idea. For someone like me who loves old melodeath you’d think I’d have some clue. Nope, I just thought OP’s tone would sound great for it lol.

akinari

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue against anyone playing more Blinded by Fear, but is there a reason - did they use this amp?

I have nooooo idea.

Peavey Supreme 160 + HM2 and Metalzone, homemade cab with 2 12s? and? and a 15? and the 12s were blown? I can never remember if they boosted the metalzone with the hm2 or the hm2 with the metalzone though.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Peavey Supreme 160 + HM2 and Metalzone, homemade cab with 2 12s? and? and a 15? and the 12s were blown? I can never remember if they boosted the metalzone with the hm2 or the hm2 with the metalzone though.

I think it was HM2 boosting the MetalZone

Mathemagician

Reaction score
How does that even work, was the MT2 just for it’s EQ? I had one as a kid, and I don’t recall the gain/feedback sounding like that album.