Andy James FFDP

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Problem is, it's also abused a lot. You end up with a situation where only people with wealthy parents can get into industries, because other people can't afford to work without getting paid. The fashion industry was a horrible example, where you might be working for free while living in London, Paris, Madrid etc... good luck!
Yeah, if you need someone to do a job, you need to pay them.

Meh. So they're pro-cop, pro-military and conservative? Who cares.
Because those are literally the people who expect to take the labor of someone for free because they need "get their foot in the door"? The kind of people who will cash their welfare check on Friday and then make FB posts about inner-city people struggling needing to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". Bootlicking is a bad look for EVERYONE.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think if they were actually any of those things in earnest no one would really care, it's the obvious pandering to a certain demographic that makes it fairly insufferable, along with, you know, not actually being any of those things for real real.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I think if they were actually any of those things in earnest no one would really care, it's the obvious pandering to a certain demographic that makes it fairly insufferable, along with, you know, not actually being any of those things for real real.
I'm pretty sure Ivan Moody just drives around the country sucking off small-town sheriffs. I'm pretty sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Because those are literally the people who expect to take the labor of someone for free because they need "get their foot in the door"? The kind of people who will cash their welfare check on Friday and then make FB posts about inner-city people struggling needing to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". Bootlicking is a bad look for EVERYONE.

5FDP do unpaid internships?

Are they not for real?

And even if that was the case, every band (business) has a brand image, marketing strategy and a target audience, right? If they're just clever and saw a gap in the market with basically all modern music being left wing nowadays, I wouldn't hate them for that.

Seems that a more obvious thing is that people who are "into" something (metal, guitar, whatever) hate when somebody becomes commercially successful. As an example, Avenged Sevenfold get shit on too, despite being an insanely talented bunch of young musicians who have built a successful career.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And even if that was the case, every band (business) has a brand image, marketing strategy and a target audience, right? If they're just clever and saw a gap in the market with basically all modern music being left wing nowadays, I wouldn't hate them for that.

That's pretty much exactly what I said. :lol:

They found their shtick.

That schtick just so happens to be dumb as hell to a bunch of folks.

I like plenty of music with dumb gimmicks too, and I'm cool for folks not liking some bands because of it.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly what I said. :lol:

They found their shtick.

That schtick just so happens to be dumb as hell to a bunch of folks.

I like plenty of music with dumb gimmicks too, and I'm cool for folks not liking some bands because of it.

But you also implied that they aren't for real? To my (limited) knowledge, they are truthful about their beliefs. I don't think Ivan is voting for Bernie, other than perhaps as a joke.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But you also implied that they aren't for real? To my (limited) knowledge, they are truthful about their beliefs. I don't think Ivan is voting for Bernie, other than perhaps as a joke.

Maybe they hold modern conservative views, maybe they don't.

They sure aren't actually supporting law enforcement, military service members, or...small government (?) in any meaningful way. They're just a bunch of Walmart Punisher and flaming bald eagle shirts come alive.

Which is fine. Woefully uninteresting, but they're free to do so. They found their niche.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Y'all seriously don't have unpaid internships? I honestly think that's a tragedy. It's a great way to get your foot in the door to a company you maybe wouldn't be hire by otherwise. What you do with the opporunity from there is up to you.

That’s a very sweet sentiment.

But in practice it doesn’t work that way. “Unpaid internship” LITERALLY means “spend time here instead of making money you need to live”.

Like many, if I didn’t work for actual human money, I wouldn’t have been able to afford my classes, rent or food. I took a pay cut for my internships and basically destroyed my limited savings my senior year - and I was lucky enough to even be able to do that. An unpaid internship would have been entirely off the table.

Problem is, it's also abused a lot. You end up with a situation where only people with wealthy parents can get into industries, because other people can't afford to work without getting paid. The fashion industry was a horrible example, where you might be working for free while living in London, Paris, Madrid etc... good luck!

Meh. So they're pro-cop, pro-military and conservative? Who cares.

See the fashion industry, and most young political positions. Two very disparate industries but unpaid internships do all the gate-keeping needed.

Can’t “take the best skilled” when many won’t even apply.

Reaction score
I don't know who Andy James is...but good for him for landing a paycheck with one of the top bands today.

I don't know why people hate the band...I don't care...I'm sure the reasons are stupid. The few songs I've heard from the band aren't terrible but nothing I'd listen to. Good for them for being successful.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
im really out of touch with today's popular rock music...didn't realize they're the biggest band out there. until reading this thread i didn't know one members name. i mean ive heard of them, but to me they were the guys that ruined the song "bad company" and had a goofy name...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
They are pretty big judging by their tours and YT views. Its likely they will be the last big metal band so when the older guys slowly stop touring it will be 5FDP in those big headline slots and arena tours. Fair to play to Andy! I doubt the instrumental guitar thing pays the rent anymore.

If anyone is curious how this came about there is a really good episode on the Riffhard Podcast. He talks about how get got the gig and all the difficulties he had in the beginning. It’s worth checking out, most people would think it would be a breeze for him to play in a band like this but it was far from it.

I’ve checked out a few songs but they are not my thing. Prob would have liked them back when nu-metal bands were huge and they all had that tough guy persona.

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
I have a buddy who toured with these guys back in their early days, and got his tour bus spray painted by the FFDP guys. Not sure why, but he said they were as douchey as their reputation, at least back in 07-09.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Or like how Phil X joined Bon Jovi. I hate Bon Jovi as much as everyone else (other than Wanted Dead or Alive, that's one of the coolest songs ever written), but that's still a legendary rock band, that would be cool as shit. And the paycheck would make playing Living on a Prayer every night tolerable.

Bon Jovi would be a very tolerable band if Phil X was the singer nowadays...

Y'all seriously don't have unpaid internships? I honestly think that's a tragedy. It's a great way to get your foot in the door to a company you maybe wouldn't be hire by otherwise.
Yeah, it's a great way to work for free for a company that still won't hire you anyway since they just rotate the internships to get the job done for free. You don't get a "foot in the door", you're never intended to be hired.

Last edited:

Alex79

Reaction score
Ffdp are so successful because Zoltan runs it like a proper business, with a clear cut image and target group etc. It’s been said in several interviews that they have a very thorough and organised work ethic.
I’m not surprised they also bought BC Rich guitars. Musicians getting in on music equipment brands as a long term business is the next big thing, really. Just see Ola, Rob chapman, Tobin etc.

And since some are going to complain about the image ffdp have chosen and that it’s not the spirit of music etc, how do you think bands such as Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Slayer or Dimmu Borgir work?

lewis

Reaction score
people are looking at this all wrong - him joining 5FDP has made them instantly a much, much better band.

No disrespect to Jason, because he has been great for them (he was even kind enough to give me one of his guitar picks which i still have) but Andy joining them elevates them to a new level.

Hopefully he loves the live experiences and actually joins them permanently because if that happens, i may actually start to get interested in them again - something sadly I have not done since the first 2 albums.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
The song with Rob Halford is a great one for working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.