Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB724

Reaction score
Honestly of the ~8 times or so i've seen AAL, last weekend at the Chicago HoB may have been the best they've ever sounded to me. I'd agree that Matt is absolutely killing it live, and a better fit as well. And this is coming from a huge fan of Navene's live playing.

Their live tones have never been better, Tosin was absolutely flawless.

just unreal.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Yo, guys! I'm back! Now I can finally tell you how fucking incredible AAL was!

Damn, where do I even start? They were honestly the best of the night imo. Mostly because of Matt's drumming I think. That dude has such insane feel and groove and just everything he plays is so damn good. Of course, Javier and Tosin were spot on the entire time (With absolutely perfect clear tones) but Matt stole the show. They played pretty much everything I hoped they would too, including New Eden, Tempting Time, and CAFO. Point To Point was the only song that would've made it better. Also, seeing Tosin's Rick Toone up close. SHIIIIIIIITTTT that thing is nice. Anyway, yeah. AAL live = fucking incredible. 10/10 would see again. :yesway:

Equivoke

dickbut
Reaction score
Dan is ridiculous. I really hope they record acoustic drums next record, I remember Navene said something which gave me that impression before Weightless and I was all sad and shit for like weeks

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Whoever tabbed up the mestis EP is a god among men! ... is also an asshole for using guitar pro 6 :(

Te Mato
semilla
olvidala
menta
Luz Y cielo

I may have a go at transferring these to gp5 for you guys

EDIT: Arranged the Luz y Cielo tab for gp5, although I adjusted it to basically be exactly the studio version, not the live version, so if you want to play it like that you might just want to listen to how Javier does it, but all the notes are there.

EDIT2: Mestis_-_Menta.gp5

EDIT3: Mestis_-_Te_Mato.gp5 I've been trying to fix some of the funky rhythms on the originals of these, but they won't all be perfect.

WildBroskiAppears

Reaction score
Found a neat video of Tosin playing the end section of New Eden on what looks to me like a Toone guitar.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
^That was the show I was at! Yeah, seeing his Toone up close was insane. It's such a gorgeous guitar.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Here's a crappy phone vid I took of AAL doing Earth Departure at the Feb 16th show at the Fillmore in Silver Spring. They fucking killed it. Awesome set. I'll upload one of Cafo.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I was seriously iffy about Matt because I was (am) such a big fan of Navene's work int the group, but he's actually adopting a bit more agression and tuning his drums a bit more accordingly, and GODDAMN the guy can play. The next album should be unbelieveable with tosin, matt, javier, AND misha writting for it. I'm girlfriend should thank those guys, for my erection will be insatiable until the next album drops.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Might i just add that the cool thing about that video of Matt above, is not just that it shows his skill as a drummer, but that it shows his taste as a musician. He knows exactly where he is in the song, and he gets out of the way once the solo comes in, and when he comes back in, he does it at the tail-end of a lead line, and then stops once the next one comes in.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Saw AAL last Friday, here's my report on their performance:

Matt is absolutely killing it, and to be honest, I prefer him in the band over Navene. Very clean/tight performance from him. Tosin and Javier played great as always, but after seeing them 5+ times, I'm starting to realize how 'weak' they sound live. Their playing isn't exactly weak, but I don't get that 'oomph' feel that I usually get with seeing bands live. I felt my organs shaking during Meshuggah (but then again it is Meshuggah so... :lol: ) but I didn't really feel much other than the drumming for AAL. IMO, they REALLY could use a bassist to beef up their live sound. Also, those Ionizer pickups...very brittle sounding. Not sure if I dig 'em. I wasn't even that close to stage and some of Tosin's clean sections were hurting my ears because the sound was so brittle and 'clicky'

Also, they played Do Not Go Gently. Nearly shit myself when I heard the electronic intro to it. Pretty sure this is the first tour that they have played the song on.

Overall, amazing show, but I've seen them a shit ton and really think they need a bassist. :2c:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I don't think they need a bass player, i think they need to make some changes to their backing track, which includes a bass track. I'm pretty sure it does, at least. Both albums obviously have a bass track, whether or not it's played by a bass guitar, and this is what is in their live backing track i believe.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
I don't think they need a bass player, i think they need to make some changes to their backing track, which includes a bass track. I'm pretty sure it does, at least. Both albums obviously have a bass track, whether or not it's played by a bass guitar, and this is what is in their live backing track i believe.

Only backing track I heard was for the electronic sections. I heard literally no bass. There's no bass on Weightless, it's a pitch-shifted guitar.