Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

80H

Banned
Reaction score
Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
As much as I love AAL, I'm not in the position, nor do I have the inclination to subscribe to GW just to hear their new songs. Even if they try to sucker me in with Ben and Dweevil. In fact, maybe it's best that I don't so I won't have to deal with Asking Alexandria.

Yeah, but hey, it's one of the reasons AAL is out there anyways - companies like GW/prosthetic are willing to give them the exposure for the cash that they assume will come with the risk.

At the very least, guitarworld has it's strong points that kind of make up for the annoying qualities of all mainstream magazines (sensationalism, buy this, no buy this, buy both, want a pedal?, yeah you want this guitar, oh hey its tosin, buy this amp, buy these picks, buy this, buy this, here's paul gilbert, buy this, here's some guy that works for us that's pretty bad but he means well, dont forget to buy this too, do these boobs make you want to buy this?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Wow. I love how classical his playing seems, it was honestly like I was listening to him say something. I'm so frequently stunned by the three of them in AAL, just how articulate and fantastic they are as musicians.

And his guitar is amazing :agreed:

Well, he does play classical guitar :)

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Got a tab going for Optimist over in the Technique/tabs forum, if anyone wants to get started on it. That riffing is gorgeous, and pretty fun to play. Man, nobody makes use of the full range of the instrument like Tosin :yesway:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
yikes i hope these are very early pre-production clips, not sounding good at all. Optimist flies head first into mediocrity starting 2/3rds of the way in, Pessimist starts as by-the-numbers shred wank and changes gears into being a periphery b-side

don't like either song even a little. Pessimist especially is really bad, expect much much better from these guys

Jarmuh

Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercuster
Yeah I feel the same about Pessimist it's not that amazing it just sounds like a slowed down Periphery song,but I like Optimist though but I still hope not the whole the album is like this because misha + tosin wrote 6 songs already; I was expecting these new songs to be along the ranks of the first Animals as Leaders album

BlackdOut177

Reaction score
I thought the two songs were just a bonus to go along with the Guitar World subscription. I didn't think they were new Animals As Leaders material but maybe I missed something!

fungwabus117

Reaction score
Holy shit. The bit in the preview expands into one of the heaviest things I've heard in a while. How the .... does that sound so massive? Loving this.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
The tone in Optimist is way too "splatty" for me. I think it's rad that Tosin has found a tone he likes with the split coils, but using that with high gain is a recipe for ickyness, IMO.

fungwabus117

Reaction score
The tone in Optimist is way too "splatty" for me. I think it's rad that Tosin has found a tone he likes with the split coils, but using that with high gain is a recipe for ickyness, IMO.

What do you mean by "splatty" ? if you don't mind me asking? Also, can you tell if the bass is an octave lower, or in unison? I can't really tell. This tone for me is a huuuuge step up from weightless. I thought the tone on weightless was kinda flat and boring.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Pessimist sounds like a Periphery song for sure, I enjoy the ending of it a ton though. Sludgy/Doom kind of section that works really well, as a whole it doesn't really fit since the beginning is focused on the atmospheric setting with a solo over it. Optimist is however excellent, very easy to enjoy and almost has this walking sound to it, like it's constantly progressing.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
By splatty I mean it sounds like a split single coil, stratty tone. It'd sound great clean, but its not working with the high gain, to my ears

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I actually really dig the single coil tone, been listening to a lot of Hendrix lately so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Plus, I'm not sure the piece would work as well with a totally clean tone, I've been playing it both ways and it just seems to work better with light distortion. Subjective as fook in this place :lol:

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
I actually like the tone he used as well, but overall I feel like the track is a bit cheesy.

It seems to me that Tosin wrote a kick ass riff (A section) and then Misha just kinda extended it with some djents... like really the song as a composition leaves a bit to be desired in terms of development, both thematically and harmonically (ahem, djent).

Like sure the riff makes a reappearance when Tosin does his harp picking thing, and at the end (sort of), but it stays pretty much the same. The only thing the djents do is reinforce the same damn note we've been hearing the whole time (that low, tonic E) and introduce a bit of chromaticism... but it hardly counts as development or a melody in itself, at least not in the way I expect from like, an AAL song. =/

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Well, these were both written for GW as short teasers, not as album pieces. I'm sure they could have developed both farther, but why bother? I like it as is, and it'll whet my apatite for more AAL/Bulbage down the road.