Anime/manga megathread

lewis

Reaction score
am I the only one who read the Attack on Titan Manga and hates where it ends up after the first 2 seasons??

absolutely drops of a cliff imo. Becomes utter garbage.
Nothing will top series 1 it seems.
A shame that the mystery and the questions we were asking early on, were massively let down by the answers we got later on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
ohnotheydidn't.jpg

v7hQ4U1.jpg

takotakumi

Reaction score
am I the only one who read the Attack on Titan Manga and hates where it ends up after the first 2 seasons??

absolutely drops of a cliff imo. Becomes utter garbage.
Nothing will top series 1 it seems.
A shame that the mystery and the questions we were asking early on, were massively let down by the answers we got later on.

I'm mad they did a "whole season" as 12 episodes only. Season 1 was 25ish and I remember the excuse for taking so long for s02 was that there was not enough manga material at the time but its been 3 years with plenty of material to use...
Dunno, there might be a better and real excuse for that but that made me slightly angry hehe

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm mad they did a "whole season" as 12 episodes only. Season 1 was 25ish and I remember the excuse for taking so long for s02 was that there was not enough manga material at the time but its been 3 years with plenty of material to use...
Dunno, there might be a better and real excuse for that but that made me slightly angry hehe

I've said multiple times in this thread hinting that anime is a slow dying industry and I'm pointing the finger at shorter seasons being the most obvious signs of this. As stated, it's not like AOT has the same issue as a lot of the Shonen Jump anime have (what Game of Thrones is going through now), it's the exact opposite. The manga is well ahead plotwise to warrant season 2 to be a full 25/26 episodes and then some. I was disappointed as well to the short duration, but I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
So, for the 4th year in a row, I went to Otakuthon this last weekend. After a 1-year+ anime hiatus, I've been getting back into it, and I thought that going to the con would get me back into it full swing. While it did do that, it also made me realize how out of touch with the community I am. So many new things I just don't know or cared for. The panels and events they hosted I found to be very average and, save for a couple of exceptions, I was pretty indifferent towards them.

With that said, I had a shitton of fun simply because I went with the right people. The best of it all though, was probably my biggest moment of fangirling since I began watching anime: getting to meet Ayako Kawasumi, voice actress for Saber in the Fate franchise. Her Q&A was fantastic, with her acting out several lines by Saber from the Fate series, including the famous Master contract line and the infamous Excalibur yell. Needless to say, I can't even describe what I was feeling. :rofl: Then she hosted an autograph session. It was kind of shitty in that we weren't allowed to take pictures with her, as there were A LOT (like SO MANY) people in line and she wanted to give as many autographs as possible in the time they allotted for her. This very often happens, especially with the Japanese Guests of Honor, with the only two exceptions I remember being Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu, Fate/Zero) and Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa, Attack on Titan), who were super chill and actually stayed for much longer than their allotted times.

Regardless, now my Saber figma figurine is signed by both Master and Servant, as I got the base signed by Koyama in 2015 and now by Kawasumi. I couldn't be any happier.
20170806_144519.jpg

20170806_144534.jpg

I also pulled the plug on a (relatively) cheap Saber Lily figure I saw. I didn't have any Saber Lilies and I really wanted one, but all the others were out of my budget. She doesn't look half bad for the $50 I paid.

received_10156526273380329.jpeg

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Just got done watching Blame! a couple of days ago... Tsutomu Nihei and Polygon Pictures is always a winning combo apparently- would love to see what they could do with Biomega.

It's interesting the way they managed to tell an engaging story in what is a distinctly alien future world and yet explain so little of its oddities. Without having read the manga there was a lot I was left to just assume, but it was easy enough to grasp that it didn't detract from the overall story. And, of course, the action was awesome.

wat

Reaction score
I think I've been away from this thread for 2 years or more. This thread pretty much got me going on my anime watching career.

I'm now pretty obsessed with Berserk. Watched the movies first, then the 2016-17 anime (yikes), then the 90's anime. BTW, for anyone who wants to watch the 90's Berserk there is a really good super-cut of it on YouTube. It's cut into 2 hour segments with all the intros and outros edited out.

Now I'm planning to start the berserk manga.

Just got done watching Blame! a couple of days ago... Tsutomu Nihei and Polygon Pictures is always a winning combo apparently- would love to see what they could do with Biomega.

It's interesting the way they managed to tell an engaging story in what is a distinctly alien future world and yet explain so little of its oddities. Without having read the manga there was a lot I was left to just assume, but it was easy enough to grasp that it didn't detract from the overall story. And, of course, the action was awesome.

I've been interested in Blame! For some time after reading & watching Knights of Sidonia and hearing that it and Blame shared a lot of themes and were possibly in the same universe.

I liked the movie a lot - it was short on character development but that's expected from a movie adaptation and it made me really wanna read the manga.

Last edited:

takotakumi

Reaction score
I've been interested in Blame! For some time after reading & watching Knights of Sidonia and hearing that it and Blame shared a lot of themes and were possibly in the same universe.

I liked the movie a lot - it was short on character development but that's expected from a movie adaptation and it made me really wanna read the manga.

That'd be amazing. I was just talking to my friend yesterday of how similar the setting and plot are from both series and also the fact that the same studio made both-wouldn't be surprised if people confused them to be the same haha
I neeeed a new season of sidonia aghhh

BTW did Code Geass ever finish the OVAs?
Last one I saw was the 3rd one I believe.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Wait nvm just found out the OVAs have been finished since 2016 hahah im so behind

AND JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT AN UPCOMING S03 JFC diofhdifhiwhIHDIahisguwgeuho3hehghdiggaugsuugubbxjbjdsjmmsq903992u

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Bedridden sick atm, so can't work on music, nor play Persona 5. We can now officially count Persona 5 as an anime too. :)

So I'd thought I'd do a composer based post. Except this will be shorter, and it'll be quite the downer actually...

Let's talk Kenji Yamamoto. (yep, we're going there... :ugh:)

Yamamoto has been scoring all sorts of anime and tokusatsu shows since the 80s, but his main bread and butter have been the Dragon Ball series. Anime, games, the whole gamut. That is until Dragon Ball Z Kai in 2011 that is.

To cut to the chase, all of Yamamoto's music has been wiped out of anime's existence due to a scandal that he had been stealing music and using them as his own for almost his entire career.

Full article (and some sample comparisons) here:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/kenji-yamamoto-retrospective/

Since the scandal, Yamamoto's been allegedly dismissed from Toei and activity has been unknown since.

Yeah, I'm late to the party talking about this, but eh, what the hell.

It's easy to jump at the bandwagon of indignation, especially in this day and age. And yeah, a lot of those samples were straight up theft so the indignation is well deserved. But then again, I loved that Cell theme in Super Butoden 2, and I love Pink Floyd too. Hell, I'll willingly admit that I've taken some heavy influence from his early works.

I guess what I'm getting at is the crux of the matter being the different view of Asian copyright. Yep, also another Japanese culture based wall of text post. :lol:

With Yamamoto's scandal being the martyr result of globalisation, it's not like this is the sort of taboo that Japan, or Asia by the matter have been doing for years. Remember Rob Miles' Children? I certainly didn't... well at least never cared for it, but now can't unhear it every time I play Garou: Mark Of The Wolves.. There's that Fist Of The North Star game Ken's Rage that really just a glorified Killswitch Engage worship. God Hand borrowing heavily to the point of straight up stealing from one of the most iconic TV theme songs of all time. The Guilty Gear series is one of the most obvious examples, thought it can be argued that the series as a whole is one big love letter/homage to all things Heavy Metal, so that sort of gets away with it.

Outside Japan, it's even more rampant. Hong Kong has many examples but this one is still my favorite:

Some random movie using Street Fighter Characters without permission from Capcom. :lol: And yes that's Andy freaking Lau as Vega. :rofl:

I suppose you could add Bollywood action movies, where they're slowly but surely becoming more anime-esque as time goes on. Though Bollywood isn't really my forte and I've only seen one of the Dhoom movies (which was awesome).

Mind you this barely scratching the surface...

I guess my point is, with globalisation making the world smaller, do we really begrudge Kenji Yamamoto for the plagiarism, especially with his cultural history? And if so, why this decade? I totally understand that I'd be upset if someone straight up stole my work, but with nothing new under the sun and almost all great/original music began from artists borrowing heavily from their influences. Hell, I suppose anime wouldn't exist if Osamu Tezuka wasn't such a Disney fanboy after all. Wherever we draw the line, it's not going to be a fine one, but a wide blur.

I'm curious what you guys think of it all.

Ok, meds are kicking in, I'll stop now...

Last edited:

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Hiroyuki Sawano is an amazing composer, and his soundtracks are always top notch. Most of his tracks can end up sounding the same because he follows the "loud orchestra + electronics" formula but a lot of his deep cuts are outstanding. My favorite soundtracks from him have to be Kill la Kill and Re:CREATORS. I also like his [nZk] vocal albums (the second one, or third if you count the Aimer collab album, just came out last week) since he also works well as a pop/rock producer.

That performance with Sugizo in front of the Gundam statue is awesome, in which he performed Next 2 U and Into The Sky (the ED and OP from Gundam Unicorn RE0096, both are also in the new [nZk] album) as well as a new song titled Cage.

ite89

Reaction score
Any Neon Genesis Evangelion fans out there! Saw it when I was around 11 and I've been watching NGE, EoE with Rebuilds periodically. Hit me up, I just wanna meet more people into ERG and NGE ... if that makes any sense haha.

Tech Wrath

Reaction score
It has been months since Kimi No Na Wa ("Your name" I think is the English name?) came out, yet it's still one of my favorite anime/movies of all time.
Incredible, emotional, beautiful, tragic, etc. I think it has everything you could ever ask for.

takotakumi

Reaction score
It has been months since Kimi No Na Wa ("Your name" I think is the English name?) came out, yet it's still one of my favorite anime/movies of all time.
Incredible, emotional, beautiful, tragic, etc. I think it has everything you could ever ask for.
Been wanting to check that one out for a while, thanks for reminding me.

Also, found it kind of funny reading that from "Tech Wrath" haha
Who said techdeth fans can't have feelings :DDD

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Started watching Person 4: The Golden Animation... Then stopped after 2 episodes because I realized I'm not far in the actual game at all...

That, and I got the complete Cowboy Bebop on blu-ray off of eBay... And for no reason, the guy also sent me the complete Full Metal Alchemist on blu-ray. Well, I'm not going to say no to free anime...

Latest posts