Anime/manga megathread

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Berserk 2016 is wayyyy better animation wise than Goblin Slayer 2. For taking 5 years between seasons they really shit the bed with Goblin Slayer 2.

Hohohoho, well I guess I know what I'm looking up on lunch because my God, that bar is quite low

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I have a hard time watching Jujutsu Kaisen because it is just so similar to Bleach, but worse.

Currently about halfway through Mobile Suit Gundam and it's pretty good so far.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
MSG was really good, just finished Zeta last night and it was even better. Absolutely brutal ending though.

Was going to start ZZ but there's no dub and subtitles are tough for me to follow lately, so that'll be a slower watch I think. Which is a shame, because there's a lot of filler in these shows.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
MSG was really good, just finished Zeta last night and it was even better. Absolutely brutal ending though.

Was going to start ZZ but there's no dub and subtitles are tough for me to follow lately, so that'll be a slower watch I think. Which is a shame, because there's a lot of filler in these shows.
Zeta is peak Gundam, and probably one of the best series that ever came out of the medium, ever. And while Tomino altered the ending in the movies to reflect his new views, that original ending still punches the gut hard.

ZZ can be tonally jarring since the first half is mostly slapstick goofiness and by the time it remembers it's a UC Gundam series it happens too late towards the end.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Zeta is peak Gundam, and probably one of the best series that ever came out of the medium, ever. And while Tomino altered the ending in the movies to reflect his new views, that original ending still punches the gut hard.

ZZ can be tonally jarring since the first half is mostly slapstick goofiness and by the time it remembers it's a UC Gundam series it happens too late towards the end.
I really enjoyed Zeta.

Not sure on ZZ. I've heard the same sorts of things about it more broadly, and kinda tempted to skip it for Char's Counterattack which is dubbed. But at the same time I've seen the first scene from that movie and I had no idea what was going on. Also want to see what happens with Mineva and Haman. I don't really want to skip around too much in UC either, but most of the other UC fill in series aren't on Crunchyroll atm.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Zeta.

Not sure on ZZ. I've heard the same sorts of things about it more broadly, and kinda tempted to skip it for Char's Counterattack which is dubbed. But at the same time I've seen the first scene from that movie and I had no idea what was going on. Also want to see what happens with Mineva and Haman. I don't really want to skip around too much in UC either, but most of the other UC fill in series aren't on Crunchyroll atm.

I'd still sit through ZZ, even if for completionist sake. You could say the goofy tone is a nice pallete cleanser after Zeta, and then escalates in true UC Gundam does. And the newcomers are likeable enough to see through the end. I do like the title mobile suit a lot too.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I build a lot of gundam models. I got tuned in during the Endless Waltz. My favorite is probably 08th MS Team, though. I'm working my way through Seed currently.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Got to catch an early screening of Gundam Seed Freedom. Usual horrors of war gravitas jarringly mixed with adolescent angst, so business as usual. And while it certainly ticked my love/hate feelings toward that Cosmic Era corner of the franchise, I've got a ton of bugbears.

The plot tries to juggle a ton of story beats at a breakneck pace so there are some plot points introduced and then quickly glossed over. A good chunk of the main characters are cast aside to focus on Kira and Lacus as the heart(s) of the story facing new political rivals dujour. Athrun and Cagali got the short end of the stick (Athrun again really) both reduced to just plot devices if not glorified cameos, and Shinn and Lunamaria fare better (they should since Shinn was done dirty in the tail end of Destiny), but they're so glossed over that they end up being underbaked.

And while war horrors and teen angst are par for the course in Gundam, Seed Freedom's role of the protagonists as young military and political leaders escalates the themes to critical mass and the tone shifts are jarring at best. The audience I was with guffawed at some of what are ostensibly emotionally heavy moments. For taking way too much upon itself, at sprinting speeds, Seed Freedom barely keeps it together poking its own plot holes, until it just cuts the pretense and turns to a giant flailing GunPla commercial. The fanservice is also cranked up the wazoo, with Lacus gets the unnecessary treatment in this case, almost to the point of breaking immersion.

But despite all that, I still had a good time. Perhaps I just found it nice to see these characters again for a final bow, considering this movie has been in development hell for near 2 decades. I love the sleek mobile suit designs, even if they're not really deviating from tradition, and I really like Shinn here, especially after Destiny, Seed Freedom gives him a nice conclusion to his arc. The final battles get goofy but were some crowd pleasing spectacles.

It's no Char's Counterattack, or Awakening Of The Trailblazer, but Gundam Seed Freedom is a fun ride for the Seed fans, if not a glorious fan pandering mess.

I'm seeing the movie again with my sister this Sunday, so that'll be fun.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Started reading Uzumaki after trying to just rent it thru Libby but it NEVER seems to be in stock EVER, so I said fuck it and paid the like $10 it cost, which is much lower than I expected for it. Only read the first two chapters but it's been sort of what I expected for a while since it's that surreal horror that I've been into for years, and I'm sure this was an influence on the people who made THOSE, so now I'm just finally going to the source.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finished Uzumaki, pretty underwhelming overall honestly, all this shit is happening to Kirie and she's got like, no carryover into the next chapter; it's like she constantly has her slate wiped clean, while Shuichi looks damn near on the verge of mental collapse by the end. Like most cosmic horrors, it also just sort of "ends" and then there's this random chapter tacked on at the end that offers nothing to the main story; especially since it features the two leads who shouldn't be around given how it ends.

Feels wrong to bag on it, but if all Ito stuff is like that, I may skip his other works.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I think Junji Ito’s concepts are great and I love his grotesque / bizarre / twisted / horrific art, but I don’t think he’s a particularly good storyteller or that his stories are really that interesting.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think Junji Ito’s concepts are great and I love his grotesque / bizarre / twisted / horrific art, but I don’t think he’s a particularly good storyteller or that his stories are really that interesting.

That's about where I am with it, like it starts strong and the art itself has a very guttural reaction to to along with it, like when the dad turns himself into a literal spiral in like, chapter 2; it's such an insane concept and right before that you see him independently rotate each eye in its socket, you know he's close to done anyways. But then keeping the steam rolling as the story goes on? Not as much, and then it just sort of peters out.

He's like a Japanese Stephen King for horror manga

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
A recent rewatch has confirmed Turn A Gundam is still top tier. Moustache or bust.

Did my yearly rewatch of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, too. Fucking gorgeous for every frame. Cel animated-era Madhouse is untouchable.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
A recent rewatch has confirmed Turn A Gundam is still top tier. Moustache or bust.

Agreed. I joked to a friend that Turn A is just Gundam with a Studio Ghibli filter, but really it's just Tomino in good vibes mode. And the older I get, the better Turn A ages. Certainly better than Victory, which I liked, but opinions on it have since deteriorated.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@Bloody_Inferno Victory is bloody brutal, quite literally. Tomino was in max depression mode and it shows - I like elements of it but I don't recommend it unless someone wants to be a full UC/Gundam franchise completionist. Late UC is cool, though. I'd like some more adaptations of that specific era. I'd like adaptations of a lot of novel / manga only Gundam, actually :lol:

Maybe one day Advance of Zeta

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
@Bloody_Inferno Victory is bloody brutal, quite literally. Tomino was in max depression mode and it shows - I like elements of it but I don't recommend it unless someone wants to be a full UC/Gundam franchise completionist. Late UC is cool, though. I'd like some more adaptations of that specific era. I'd like adaptations of a lot of novel / manga only Gundam, actually :lol:

Maybe one day Advance of Zeta

...which was probably why I enjoyed it when I was younger. :lol: Tomino didn't care about how much you've invested into a character, and tried to out-Zeta Zeta in the kill count. Then of course you look at how women were treated here, like Uso and Lupe in the bathtub, the semi naked ladies trying to assault a mobile suit, almost everything around Katejina; it doesn't really fly nowadays. It's no wonder even Tomino himself has some regret towards Victory.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is weird... but it is relevant :lol:
I'm just hearing of this now!

And the Canadian site:

New episode every week :lol:
Something is wrong with my app tho and it doesn't show me the promotion. Maybe if I go to one of their restaurants. I really want a cup with a W logo on it :lol:

Also, is this then cultural appropriation by McDonald's? :rofl:

I am very much getting a kick out of this whole thing.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I know this is weird... but it is relevant :lol:
I'm just hearing of this now!

And the Canadian site:

New episode every week :lol:
Something is wrong with my app tho and it doesn't show me the promotion. Maybe if I go to one of their restaurants. I really want a cup with a W logo on it :lol:

Also, is this then cultural appropriation by McDonald's? :rofl:

I am very much getting a kick out of this whole thing.
I got a WcDonald's coffee last weekend and wondered WTF was going on. It's pretty funny when marketing morons actually do something that doesn't make me want to punch them in the throat. Granted, it's no Wendy's/Burger King twitter match, but it's pretty funny.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Watched the first seven or so episodes of "Delicious in Dungeon" it's not bad per se, but it's very middling, like, not much actually HAPPENS during an episode and yet they take up 20-30 mins somehow. ProZD, who some of you may know from Youtube, voices the dwarf with the beard and he's definitely the driving force of the show, it's split with him doing like, 50% of the actual dialogue, then probably a 50/50 split between the knight/elf woman, and their rogue doesn't really bring anything to the show, he's like, 5-10% of an episode. But, it's just easy to put on and kind of half tune in as I wind down from work or after the gym, etc, so that's a plus right now even though I wouldn't normally count that.

Moongrum

Reaction score
my youtube recommended had the entirety of the first season of the 1999 hunter x hunter in it. idk if it's nostalgia, but i forgot how much i enjoyed it, i was up all night watching it 😅