Any Black Metal Fans out there?

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
This thread is so full of win.

I just listened to Leviathan's The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide album again, and I absolutely love that album. It's very powerful and eerie. Sometimes, it's just exactly what I need to hear in that exact moment in time.

What about Striborg, anyone? Another one-man band, and the dude has put out tons of albums. Very low-fi, super creepy ambient stuff. A lot of it is hard to listen to, but once you get past the bizarre production, you learn that the production contributes a lot to the atmosphere in a very strange way.

And I mentioned him before, but here's Alrakis. Ambient atmospheric black metal, written on a space and universe theme. Such great stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aheadofmetal

Reaction score
+1 Striborg. Speaking of Striborg has anyone seen the one-man metal documentary on youtube? They interview Striborg Leviathan and Xasthur. Which are two other band that I highly recommend from the US.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
+1 Striborg. Speaking of Striborg has anyone seen the one-man metal documentary on youtube? They interview Striborg Leviathan and Xasthur. Which are two other band that I highly recommend from the US.

What is that called? I MUST watch that documentary. I love one-man black metal, and all three of those artists.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Emperor is one of the most musically influential bands for me. The Prometheus record got me into 7 string guitar playing in a big way, after not knowing much use for it other than Steve Vai (who I am also hugely influenced by) and the popular mid-late 90s stuff which interested me little.

There are literally too many bands to list, but recent listens go to Emperor, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Mayhem, Wolves in the Throne Room, and older Dimmu Borgir. Dimmu's live shows were amazing. So yes, Black Metal fan right here, and of all sub genres.

pott

Reaction score
This tune is what got me into 'black' metal. And by 'into' I mean 'made me get Emperor CDs'.
[YOUTUBEVID]5tAxZA1D5D8[/YOUTUBEVID]

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Scott is VERY nice on Facebook, though perhaps a tad negative about himself. As for Striborg, I think Xasthur is better, as is Lurker of Chalice/Leviathan.

EDIT: Scott seems to be showing signs of slight Aspergers. That said, he seems to open up when his cat makes an appearance and it's pretty heart-warming.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Anyone listen to the new Mayhem cd? I think it's probably the best thing theyve done in a while. It reminds me a lot of Keep of Kalessin's EP that has Attila on vocals.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Anyone listen to the new Mayhem cd? I think it's probably the best thing theyve done in a while. It reminds me a lot of Keep of Kalessin's EP that has Attila on vocals.

Reclaim? That EP is fukcing beastmode. Frost played drums on that EP as well. He's pretty ridiculous.

And now that you have made such a comparison, I must hear the new Mayhem.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Been jamming this album a lot lately. If you like your black metal with folk influences, triumphant melodies, and bluesy solos you'll love this!

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Usually about once a year or so I'll binge on some black metal. I dabble in making my own from time to time too. Sargeist, Dark Funeral, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, early Immortal, some Burzum, Carpathian Forest, Behexen, those are my favorites. And I like a lot of the more obscure, one-man projects I find on youtube and such.

I know it can get kind of generic, but I really enjoy just lo-fi, early Norwegian style BM more than a lot of the more "artsy" kind of stuff I hear coming out now. I really can't get into any of that blackened-shoegaze stuff, even though I enjoy both genres as entities on their own.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Brave of you to release an album in the same year as the almighty Mayhem.

Has anyone heard the album intro yet? That double bass speed...crazy

SilentSeraph

Reaction score
My first post on the forum, but you can count another black metal fan here!
I play drums in a black metal band called A Dying God (taken from the Celtic Frost song), and I also have a solo black metal project, Morvidus. I currently play a six string but am going to get a new guitar soon and am very tempted by a seven string, as I want to try and make more interesting and unique black metal, and I think a seven string would be good, as not many bm bands tune that low, one of the only ones I know being Winterfylleth who play 6 strings but tune to B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDvEFETe_CM

Do you guys know any other BM groups (aside from Emperor) who tune to B or use seven strings?

Here's links to my projects, will check you guys out as well!

morvidus.bandcamp.com

Music | A Dying God

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
newer Blut aus Nord stuff is in B. the dudes in the original lineup of Negura Bunget used 7s, and continue to do so in Dordeduh

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Open Grave, a now defunct black metal band from New Jersey used to play in low tunings. They only have one album. It's pretty good.