Any Black Metal Fans out there?

Don Vito

Reaction score
What are some black metal bands with odd time signatures?

I don't know shit about time signatures or whatever, but some of the drum rhythms and riffs are "off" sounding, if that's what you mean.

Shame this album falls victim to frog vox.

Passion of Death Songs | ReverbNation
Here's the only cool black metal band I've ever discovered from Alabama. Bit of thrash/black crossover riffing going on.

Couldn't find any Youtube links, but their EP is on Spotify strangely enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Defi

Reaction score
yup, ever since I discovered Emperor at age 15 I've been hooked. Been getting into some of the weirder bm bands recently, like Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Oranssi Pazuzu etc. Also dig Twilight, Leviathan, Shining, Paysage d'Hiver, and way too many others. Don't have any bm projects of my own, but my other guitarist is in a sweet band called Heron Sacrifice | Heron

Totally, didn't think I would see this band mentioned, but they are great. Such a magical aura in their album kosmonument.

I have grown a bit tired of the "standard" black metal formula. I don't believe in tradition, or whatever, I believe in exploration. I tend to prefer the bands that are on the fringes of black metal, or belong to some vein of metal that is not death or doom or sludge but... just something. Atmospheric, avant garde, I do not know what words to use, but they always feel a bit black to me.

edit: I was checking the mix out on my EP while my roommate was sleeping and turned the masters down because I was too lazy to get up and go to the monitors and bounced it with them down... so after a fresh bounce I will put it up again. I know you're all waiting.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Leviathan is amazing.

His first album The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide is quite an achievement, and my favorite out of his discography. I know I already said that earlier in this thread, but yeah.

And new album coming? FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

I don't know shit about time signatures or whatever, but some of the drum rhythms and riffs are "off" sounding, if that's what you mean.

Shame this album falls victim to frog vox.

Passion of Death Songs | ReverbNation
Here's the only cool black metal band I've ever discovered from Alabama. Bit of thrash/black crossover riffing going on.

Couldn't find any Youtube links, but their EP is on Spotify strangely enough.

Horgh was kinda sloppy when he started out with Immortal on that album. He's certainly no Frost.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Horgh was kinda sloppy when he started out with Immortal on that album. He's certainly no Frost.

Frost is definitely not a force to be reckoned with.

On that note - if you put Frost and Vyl (Keep of Kalessin) in a drum-off in the same building, I'm pretty sure the planets would collide and all life as we know it would come to an end.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Frost is definitely not a force to be reckoned with.

On that note - if you put Frost and Vyl (Keep of Kalessin) in a drum-off in the same building, I'm pretty sure the planets would collide and all life as we know it would come to an end.

I'm pretty sure Frost would kick his ass with pure skill. Frost is not a drummer, he's a human drum machine with the precision of a Swiss watch and the brutality of Vlad the Impaler scaring his enemies with impaled bodies at the border.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Frost would kick his ass with pure skill. Frost is not a drummer, he's a human drum machine with the precision of a Swiss watch and the brutality of Vlad the Impaler scaring his enemies with impaled bodies at the border.

Are you kidding me? Vyl would be a solid contender. He is easily just as precise and brutal.

JohannvonDagg

Reaction score
As far as atmospheric blackmetal goes, you can't go wrong with Altar of Plagues, especially the album Mammal.

As for the less atmospheric stuff, Taake is always a fun choice

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I always catch shit for calling Altar of Plagues black metal, but they're solid as hell. Mammal is so good.

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
I can dig on some black metal fore sure. I'm not super huge into the genre as I'm more of a doom and crust fan but I enjoy alot of the American stuff like WITTR, Nachtmystium, Leviathan, Krieg and some of the older stuff like Mayhem, Ancient, Dissection, Ulver, Darkthrone and some of the more recent euro stuff like Behexen (love that band).

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I can dig on some black metal fore sure. I'm not super huge into the genre as I'm more of a doom and crust fan but I enjoy alot of the American stuff like WITTR, Nachtmystium, Leviathan, Krieg and some of the older stuff like Mayhem, Ancient, Dissection, Ulver, Darkthrone and some of the more recent euro stuff like Behexen (love that band).

Speaking of Behexen, how incredible is this song?

:hbang::hbang::hbang:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Though they have elements of death metal, Bölzer are a great newer band to pay attention to. They offer up some great stuff in the two EPs they have released. Really looking forward to an LP at some point. Always great to see a two piece (drummer and guitarist/vocalist) in black metal.

Overtone

Reaction score
201312218244499212.jpg