Any Brits here?

• Thread starter hairychris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Police to investigate Angela Rayner over residency declaration

Unbelievable what the Tory's are trying to do to Angela Rayner at the moment
Fact that Billionaire "Lord" Ashcroft, the 137th wealthiest person in the UK who due to his Non Dom status that he still hasn't given up, even tho he is supposed to once he was made a Lord, and therefore pays no UK tax, has accused her or tax avoidance that if it was true, which both HMRC & Manchester Police have said there is no case to answer or open investigation, would mean she failed to pay the huge total of approx £1500 in capital gains tax on the sale of her council house 15 yrs ago?!? Meanwhile Zahawi found guilty by HMRC of tax avoidance of millions in Capital Gains tax, ended up paying £20m inc fines & interest, Hunt "accidentally forgot" to pay stamp duty on the purchase of 7 luxury flats, and Sunak's billionaire wife has been a Non Dom the whole time he has been am MP. All three of them were/are Chancellor of the Ex-checker, but none of those are as important for the Mail and Ashcroft as £1500 in tax that isn't actually owed anyway, being unpaid

And now due to word of mouth from neighbours apparently(???) James Daly MP, the deputy chair of the Conservative party, has reported her to police for breaking electoral law in that she claims that her property, separate from her husband’s at the time, was her main residency and that she made a false declaration on the electoral register about where she was living!

I mean FFS...... the fact the Torys and the right wing press are so desperate to target her and are actually trying to get an elected member of parliament arrested purely because she is a woman from a northern working class background, who had the audacity to have a child at 16 and who has successfully climbed the political ladder to later this year become the deputy leader of the country. She is the polar opposite basically of what the establishment and Government should be, ie full of old etonians and wealthy ex public school boys!

Guardian OpEd on why the Right are so desperate to smear her
The real question isn’t what Angela Rayner did – it’s why the Tories are so set on targeting her

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Jonathan Pie perfectly sums up what the new Tory bill to replace the Vagrancy Act of 1824 really will do and who it really punishes

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with what Rowling has said as I try to keep away from celebrity gossip, but if she’s prepared to file a lawsuit, she presumably feels they have a case to answer? I’d have thought the world was past holocaust denial by now, but then there are still flat earthers, so…

For what it matters, I’ve never read a Harry Potter book, but have seen all the films, albeit unwillingly. I thought they were rubbish.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with what Rowling has said as I try to keep away from celebrity gossip, but if she’s prepared to file a lawsuit, she presumably feels they have a case to answer? I’d have thought the world was past holocaust denial by now, but then there are still flat earthers, so…

For what it matters, I’ve never read a Harry Potter book, but have seen all the films, albeit unwillingly. I thought they were rubbish.
People said the Nazis targeted trans people in the holocaust, including book burnings (which is a true fact with lots of documented evidence). Rowling quote tweeted people saying this and called them deluded and that it didn't happen. This is holocaust denial.

She has started suing people who call her a holocaust denier (including Jewish journalists, interestingly) because UK libel laws are shit and we lack anti-SLAPP laws.

She's also a bad writer, but that's not really the point.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
JK Rowling was mildly entertaining before she started publicly showing her ass as often and as vocally as she could about issues she clearly doesn't really have a grasp on. Why is it these celebrity big-heads can't ever just shut their mouths when they feel lost and afraid like us simpletons do? It's amazing how much you learn when you try to absorb information from your environment, rather than fill it with so much bile that NO ONE can absorb any information.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
JK Rowling was mildly entertaining before she started publicly showing her ass as often and as vocally as she could about issues she clearly doesn't really have a grasp on. Why is it these celebrity big-heads can't ever just shut their mouths when they feel lost and afraid like us simpletons do? It's amazing how much you learn when you try to absorb information from your environment, rather than fill it with so much bile that NO ONE can absorb any information.
Rowling has historically not dealt with criticism well. Any time her books were criticised for some glaring plot hole, she'd make a ham fisted attempt at plugging it (see: millionaire Harry's best friend lives in poverty but doesn't give him money, so his friend wins the lottery; all the time turners in the world got knocked off a table).

And let's not forget her writing under the name Robert Gilbraith which didn't sell any copies until she announced it was her. And how she used the name JK to obscure her gender in the male dominated fantasy genre. Or all the plastic surgery she's had over the years to look more feminine and affirm her gender.

She's just always been a shitty, hypocritical person.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Rowling has historically not dealt with criticism well. Any time her books were criticised for some glaring plot hole, she'd make a ham fisted attempt at plugging it (see: millionaire Harry's best friend lives in poverty but doesn't give him money, so his friend wins the lottery; all the time turners in the world got knocked off a table).

And let's not forget her writing under the name Robert Gilbraith which didn't sell any copies until she announced it was her. And how she used the name JK to obscure her gender in the male dominated fantasy genre. Or all the plastic surgery she's had over the years to look more feminine and affirm her gender.

She's just always been a shitty, hypocritical person.
I guess I never much followed JK herself until she started making a big public spectacle of her bad intentions.

There's some weird dividing line between creatives that have the drive to make it, and creatives that have too much drive and can't accept anything negative said about their creation. JK seems to be one that went all out on the second half of that summary.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Council of Europe human rights watchdog condemns UK’s Rwanda bill

The Council of Europe’s human rights watchdog has condemned Rishi Sunak’s Rwanda scheme, saying it raises “major issues about the human rights of asylum seekers and the rule of law”.

The body’s human rights commissioner, Michael O’Flaherty, said the bill, expected to be signed into law on Tuesday after passing its parliamentary stages on Monday night, was a grave concern and should not be used to remove asylum seekers or infringe on judges’ independence.

Five asylum seekers killed in attempt to cross Channel to UK
Five people have died in an attempt to cross the Channel near the town of Wimereux, south of Calais, French police have said........ The BBC reported that a child was among the five dead.
As James O'Brien is saying this morning, being deported to Rwanda will act as a deterrent (and yet is also a wonderful place to be deported to) for people trying to come to the UK in small boats across the channel, because the high risk of death during the crossing currently isn't working to stop desperate human beings from coming

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Council of Europe human rights watchdog condemns UK’s Rwanda bill

Five asylum seekers killed in attempt to cross Channel to UK

As James O'Brien is saying this morning, being deported to Rwanda will act as a deterrent (and yet is also a wonderful place to be deported to) for people trying to come to the UK in small boats across the channel, because the high risk of death during the crossing currently isn't working to stop desperate human beings from coming
A lot of Visit Rwanda ads in Premier League stadiums lately

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
On the same day The UK Gov do this:
Home Office to detain asylum seekers across UK in shock Rwanda operation
They are going to detain thousands of asylum seekers ready to send to Rwanda even tho Rwanda are only going to take a max of a few hundred a year

People with depression or anxiety could lose sickness benefits, says UK minister
1.9m people currently waiting for mental health services and help but Mel Stride is saying people off work due to "milder" mental health issues will no longer get their full benefits including the stop to their PIP payments, but they will get vouchers to use towards therapy, yeah thats gonna work, obviously.....

Already a couple of "genuine" mental health sufferers calling in to shows about this, claiming they have this and that and are on PIP payments etc for mental health issues BUT that they agree with the changes as there are too many scroungers and liars claiming it for no reason

Last edited:

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
When's the election?

This thread has almost literally gone beyond political comment into the realm of dystopian science fiction and makes me half expect to see the shadow figure of Hugo Weaving running around the streets of London in a Guy Fawkes mask!

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
You know, I'm coming around on the Rwanda thing. I'm not very up to date on Rwanda's current political and economic situation, but since it's not being run by the idiots we have here, it seems like that might be a better place for the asylum seekers. Can it really be worse than here?

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Already a couple of "genuine" mental health sufferers calling in to shows about this, claiming they have this and that and are on PIP payments etc for mental health issues BUT that they agree with the changes as there are too many scroungers and liars claiming it for no reason
Congratulations. You've joined the United States. We're also big proponents of not allowing benefits for anybody, out of fear that "the wrong person" might receive that benefit. The politics of fear, the perfect way to prevent anything from moving forward.