Any NWA and Other Rap Music Fans?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score

When your main artistic aspect is being able to rhyme words in clever ways, and you cannot understand what they are saying (hence why it is called 'mumble' rap), then you've failed as an "artist." In 100% of modern rap and mumble rap cases, I'd much rather just listen to the beat than the "artist."

This was the first rapper I remember doing this, and he did it kind of okay but it really went downhill from there.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Dude... That notepad thing... :facepalm:

Canibus is one of my favorite rappers. It just makes me kinda sad how his career seemed to go.

Eminem is kind of only interesting on select tracks to me now and his freestyles are always pretty silly and entertaining. You kinda know what to expect from him at this point and it seems like he stays in that lane.

I listened to Revival and I was somewhat with him on that first track but the album fell apart pretty fast.

Kamikaze I like the first 3 tracks then my interest is lost as well.

I'm not sure what happens in rehab, but it seems to really fuck with ppls music.

And on the topic of LL and ghost writers... I never even considered that but it's highly cohesive. I can't remember which album it was but it was some time in the 2000s when The Bassment was still a thing on BET. They had that segment at the end where they interview a rapper and he freestyles afterwards.

LL went in the booth and spit word for word the first track of the album he'd dropped literally the day before that episode. I know because I bought it the day it came out and listened to the whole thing... :lol:

I was pissed
I realized Em had fallen off, but wasn’t aware just how much. Then I heard him on the 3 AM sequel, and was like, “wow, he’s not even fucking tryin anymore.” Yikes!

Em had been clean on Relapse, apparently, but still had it in him. Recovery, on the other hand, is mostly boring to “okay.” MMLP2 pales in comparison. His rhyme schemes, flows, etc cannot compare to the original.

If I had to imagine, Canibus was injured and thus not in the best headspace, in addition to probably taking prescription pain pills prescribed to him. Canibus and Em had their issue (Phuk U) when Canibus basically asked if he ghostwrote Ripper Strikes Back. Listening to Em’s flow at the time and LL’s song, you can hear who wrote it. “I’m cancerous, so if I diss, you wouldn’t wanna respond to this with a battle rap you wrote for Canibus.” I think the only real misstep was C True Hollywood Stories. I guess Canibus saw Stan as a subliminal diss. Stan, by the way, I saw the dude how fucks the chick in Guilty Conscience (“Yo, look at her bush, does it got hair?”). The chick he bangs on the song is the one in the trunk of the car in Stan.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
C True Hollywood Stories was so bad and that obsession with Stan was strange as fuck. Although I remember there being like one or two songs or skits on that album that were kind of funny.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
C True Hollywood Stories was so bad and that obsession with Stan was strange as fuck. Although I remember there being like one or two songs or skits on that album that were kind of funny.
Yeah, it wasn’t great. That said, I have enjoyed just about everything else I’ve heard.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Loved and still love gangsta rap from the 90's. This song is one of the tops for me. It incorporates sort or metal elements and aggressive sounds that I never heard at the time. The beat and production just sounds evil. Then the lyrics come in and it's almost like a horror movie. It's sooooooo good. I also enjoy rap from the late 90's-early 2000's when I was in high school. Ludacris, Eminem, Outkast, DMX, 50 Cent.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
If you guys haven't listened to Ando San, I will give him a huge recommendation. He raps and plays an Ormsby.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
Not a huge rap fan, but I do enjoy NWA, Tech N9ne, Joyner Lucas, Eminem, Damian Marley, and Hopsin.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Did anyone see the 2022 Superbowl Half Time Show? It was one of the best ones in history! Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J Blige and 50 Cent. All huge 90's and 2000's rap and hip hop artists.

I made this meme earlier and posted it on FB :lol:

ZomboMeme 13022022195344.jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
i enjoy the late 80's, and early 90's rap, along with Eminem stuff. I was happy with the superbowl, though I wish it was longer. Was expecting Eminem to have a slightly longer set, but alas.

for what its worth, though a rap/hiphop star, i always find Megan thee Stallion's work to be very groovy and having a hypnotic rhythm. If anyone wants to, her songs would translate really nicely into metal, with more leaning towards heavy/progressive metal.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I am LOVING everything from this group. Their approach to rap, i find interesting. I'm so used to a 2-4 bar repeated beat, and the song lasting 2-5 minutes. nothing changing, and its just repeated.

here, i find this so progressive. So much is constantly changing, and it forces you to pay attention to it over again. loving the production quality of it too. their flow and back and forth is great

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I was in a rap mood today, I was jamming on my 1980 Yamaha FG 345-II and came up with this little compilation is jamming to my favorite Dr Dre and Eminem rap songs.

Can you name em?

soliloquy

Reaction score
I've been digging this artist over the last few weeks.
Even before his guitaring skills came to light, I was drawn to his acting and lyrical content. Playing guitar is a neat skill to add to it. But aside from that, i'm really enjoying his performance as an actual 'artist' that is multi-dimensional. He does't just seem to be a lyricist and singer, but also play guitar, act, project, story-telling; theatrical. He doesn't just do rap either. Some really stuff.

This is Ren

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread the other day. This track was apparently not very popular when this album released, but I thought it was one of the stronger ones on the album when I finally got around to Black Market Music. At first I thought Stefan was doing the rapping, turns out it's Justin Warfield who would become the frontman of She Wants Revenge a few years later.

It started out as me and a buddy being like "lil ugly mane, what a goofy soundcloud rapper name" then we looked up some of his music to see WTF and accidentally became huge fans. I don't love everything he's released but the good stuff is on another level entirely.

Love how he weaves shoegaze/alt rock influences into his stuff as well.

This is Ren

Dang, that was intense, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts