Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Tax Return Day = Finally replacing my shitty made in China bar :woot:

Ordered a Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar (the real deal, not one of the imitations). Ironically, I had to order from a store in New York. :lol:

Been wanting one myself for awhile now but it keeps getting out muscled by guitar stuff :lol:.
Didn't really know about the fakes though.
Was going to order from westside barbell when it makes it to the top of my list some day.
Does anyone know if westside's TPB is the real deal?
I think it was like $300 or close to that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Been wanting one myself for awhile now but it keeps getting out muscled by guitar stuff :lol:.
Didn't really know about the fakes though.
Was going to order from westside barbell when it makes it to the top of my list some day.
Does anyone know if westside's TPB is the real deal?
I think it was like $300 or close to that.

Well, there are some cheap fakes and there are some good TPB style bars. Buddy actually sold/licensed the design to Troy (I think a couple of other builders too). There is also a rumor that EFS just buys them from Buddy, puts their own logo on it, and marks it up $100 (and charges their ridiculous shipping fees).

I got mine from Lifestyle Sports. It's actually made by Buddy at his welding shop in Irving, Texas. $300 shipping included is probably the best deal you're going to find for an in stock bar. I found it for $275 at another site, but they only order one at a time from Buddy. It takes ~6 weeks to get it.

I've heard good things about the Westside bar that is sold through Rogue, but I've never used one myself.

EDIT: Just checked Westside's website, it looks like Buddy makes their bars too.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/ind...oon/specialty-bars/product/83-texas-power-bar

To anyone else, please don't confuse Capps with Cap (those are the shitty barbells that are sold at most national chain sporting goods stores). :lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Just had a pre-workout smoothie consisting of blueberries, strawberries, banana, honey, oats, orange juice, and vanilla yogurt. It was god damn delicious. Now it's time to go destroy my biceps and shoulders. :lol:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
For anyone interested in powerlifting, Andrey Malanichev just set the raw (no mulit-ply squat suit) squat record. 460kg/1,014 lbs!!! That is insane!! It went up pretty easy, he might have another 5-10 lbs in him (at least). Oh and he walked it out, no monolift. Just insane. If I even tried to lift that off the pegs I'd probably die. :lol:

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I was waiting for that to happen. His previous attempt got red lighted I believe so it's awesome to see he did it this time. Also broke the world record a couple of weeks ago I think... 2.4k raw total...

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Yeah sorry, haven't checked this thread in a while.

And talk shit all you want, that leg routine has been doing wonders for my speed and explosiveness :fawk:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
This is completely random, but since there's 65 pages of people talking about lifting, I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I took a few rounds of "strength and conditioning" in high school and ended up injuring my back doing the dead lift. I believe it was probably about 4 months into lifting, having come from not ever really working out in my life. I'm a fairly stocky guy, so "maxing" on dead lift was fairly easy given my body structure. Anyways, I worked my way up through the mid 300's to trying for 400 at the end of the term. First time I tried it, I was about 2" away from being able to lock it in and dropped it. Second time (probably didn't wait long enough among other things), I got it about an inch or two off the ground and felt something pop in my back. Felt weaker than shit, my vision fuzzed over to static and all I could hear was a high pitched whining sound for about 15 seconds afterward. The instructor said it was my body releasing excess pressure and that it was completely normal in this situation.

So, for probably 5 months afterward, my back was kind of sore and started to ache if I was on my feet for long periods of time and the latter still kind of affects me (it's now been like 7-8 years since). I had it checked out at the doctor and he didn't see any cause for worry, but I'm still wondering what was the most likely "thing" I pulled and now that I'm going to try to get back into working out I figured it was a good idea to casually check into whether or not I should stay away from these kinds of stresses in the future. (i.e. stick to mid-heavy weights instead of consistently pushing to the end of the spectrum)

Any thoughts?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Train the lower part of your abs very hard twice a week. Once on the same day as deadlift/squats, and once again 3days later (give or take a day).
Obviously you'll want to train the entire abdominal region, but for me anyways it's been very important to zero in on the lower abs to prevent the lower back from always knotting up the day after heavy full-body lifts.

Leg raises from as many angles as possible works well. Hanging from the pull-up bar, laying flat, laying backwards (with your head at the high end) on a decline crunch board really does the trick.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the "pop" in your back. But, as long as you've been cleared by a doctor (hopefully an orthopedist/sports medicine type doctor and not a GP), you should be good to go. I've had ear "blowouts" a couple of times while lifting too. The pressure from drawing in air and creating tension can be similar to your ears popping on a plane. It doesn't happen often. I've been lifting for ~8 years, and it's only happened maybe 4-5 times.

In my experience, pain/discomfort is usually due to muscle imbalance. You might just not have much muscle in your lower-back/core/posterior chain yet. In addition to core/ab work, I've found "good mornings" to be helpful in strengthening the muscles for deadlift. My big imbalance was/is my shoulders. When I got back in to lifting about a year ago, I was having a ton of pain in my shoulders. I started doing a lot of "mobility work," but with little effect. I trained a ton of bench press, but almost never did any overhead press (over 300 on bench but I could barely OHP 135). Since I started specifically training on OHP, my shoulders feel much better (and look better too :lol:).

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
If you're worried about lower back pain have a read through this.
T NATION | Yoga, Yes Yoga, For Big Bastards

Around four years ago I was going through a barbell complex and felt a pop in my lower back which put me out of action for around three weeks but when I returned to training I booked a phsyio appointment just to be sure and it turns out my back wasn't the problem it was my hamstrings and this apparently is the case for most people who end up with lower back pain/injuries.
Since then I've always warmed up with a combination of some of the moves in the article and hamstring curls whenever it's deadlift or squat day and I've had no problems or pain since then.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
For anyone interested in powerlifting, Andrey Malanichev just set the raw (no mulit-ply squat suit) squat record. 460kg/1,014 lbs!!! That is insane!! It went up pretty easy, he might have another 5-10 lbs in him (at least). Oh and he walked it out, no monolift. Just insane. If I even tried to lift that off the pegs I'd probably die. :lol:

Is that raw? I thought those kneebands(correct term?) where equipment. Here in Norway we count raw as belt only.

Still impressive though!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Is that raw? I thought those kneebands(correct term?) where equipment. Here in Norway we count raw as belt only.

Still impressive though!

It differs from federation to federation, but generally knee/wrist wraps and belt are still considered raw. Basically, as long as you aren't in a multi-ply suit or bench shirt, you're "raw." I've noticed a lot of "raw" records are now specified with or without wraps.

When I was searching for results from RUM7, I noticed they had a meet 2 weekends ago that they called "Iron Man" division. No wraps and no belt. Obviously the weights weren't nearly as high, but still seems like you should at least have a belt when going for PR's.

Last edited:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Yep! Brandan Schiepatti. He owns Rise Above Fitness. Also, I bought some Jack3d pre-workout so I could slam through that workout. It worked for sure, and I definitely noticed more reps. But I also know I will hate myself in the morning. :lol:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Thought I would share this with you guys. I'm going to be making my first order from them pretty soon. You can buy "pure" whey protein (ie no fillers or "proprietary blends" full of dextrose). I'm also curious to try their pre-workout. Their prices are really good. I'm guessing since it's sort of "factory direct," so no middleman to pay. I've never seen them advertised online or in magazines, so I'm guessing you save cost since they don't have an advertising budget to cover either.

True Nutrition - The Highest Quality Supplements and Protein at the Lowest Prices

You can also buy your own "building block" nutrients and make your own supplements. OmarIsuf made a cool video describing the preworkout he makes himself (also how I found out about this company).

Anybody have experience with True Nutrition?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
The True Nutrition stuff is at good prices. $10/pound for the whey isolate is cheap.
The Natures Best Isopure I was getting from BB.com came out to about $12/pound.

I like that you can order with various blends, but I'm surprised there wasn't an option for added L-Glutamine and other free-form aminos.
Whey isolate is very high in most aminos but is very low in glutamine and a couple other important aminos which is why Isopure and other pure whey isolates always add an L-Glutamine blend.
I couldn't even find the amino profiles for their various base products unless I'm just missing it.

edit; I found it now. Doesn't show free-form L-Glutamine. I don't think glutamic acid is quite the same.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Trying this out tonight.

That's a great way to do it with the drop-set as the final set.
If you're someone who gets sore very easily in the chest then you could probably just do a couple movements with the drops. It's easy to overdo when doing drops on each movement.
Either way though it sure would not be gross overtraining to do all.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Excellent deadlifting tutorial from Richard Hawthorne. It's comprehensive while still being fairly succinct. For those that haven't heard of Richard, he might be the best "pound for pound" deadlifter on the planet. A +600 lbs deadlift at only 131 lbs bodyweight!

Latest posts