Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
EMG related stuff I always wondered about:

85 in the bridge w/ 18v mod

85 vs 85x bridge

x series 18v mod or does the improvements of the x series make pumping more voltage redundant

also does the 18v mod make it impossible to clean up with the volume pot

It's been a while, but I had an 85 in the bridge position of an RG for a while and was able to A/B between 9 and 18 volts. The extra voltage gave me a bit more dynamics and clarity. It was something that affected the feel more than the overall sound, but was well worth the couple of dollars I spent on the extra battery wiring harness. I kept it at 18v until I sold the pickup to a bandmate. I was using that guitar as a chug machine, so I can't really say if the "cleans" aspect was improved.

I've never tried the X series, but I would be interested to try them if I can find a set for cheap.

I definitely got on the anti-EMG bandwagon for a while, but every time I played them I was less and less convinced that they suck, you know? I've worked on a bunch of guitars for friends and former bandmates with 57/66, 81/60, 81/85, and single 85 setups and I always have fun playing with them until the owner comes and gets their guitar back :shrug:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I ever believed EMGs sucked, but when I was doing the mid gain proggy polyphia type stuff I didn't like how the 81 sounded. Much too crunchy, not near round enough. Tried the 57 and its pretty good for that, but still not my first pick, now that I'm playing post hardcore and easycore stuff mostly these days, the chunk and crunch of the 81 is perfect. 81 x is a nice compromise between the dynamics of the 57 and the standard 81, I highly recommend it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of installing the 81-7/60-7 set into my M207 (very badly), and it turns out the pickup I'm replacing wasn't a Distortion. It was an SH-5 Custom.

And it wasn't just any SH-5 Custom. It was one I sold a fucking year ago. I recognized it because I clipped the tabs to fit into an Ibanez and it had tape all over the lead just like mine. Just weird as fuck because I sold the pickup on Reverb but bought the guitar off Musicgoround.

But yeah, I'll finish the installation tomorrow when I'm less lazy. Always wanted to compare the SH-5 and EMG 81, so it's fitting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Mahogany guitar, bridge pickup only: 81X or 57? I love metal core and really tight mids, but it has to double for leads and not be “shrill”. If you had one chance to not miss your shot, which would you go with?

Curt

Reaction score
Mahogany guitar, bridge pickup only: 81X or 57? I love metal core and really tight mids, but it has to double for leads and not be “shrill”. If you had one chance to not miss your shot, which would you go with?
I'm going to say 57 for this. It is the better lead pickup to my ears having both on hand currently, I love the 81x but it is still a little shrill in comparison to the 57. That said, the 81x is phenomenal for metalcore rhythm stuff.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I have a guitar that sounds too dark with the standard 707 set.I've been looking for a new set of active pickups with the option to coil split while also matching the theme of my guitar makeover.So far,it's boiled down to the EMG 707TWX-R set,the Fishman Fluence Modern set, and the Fishman Fluence TA set. Which set will brighten my guitar up and give me some glassy single coil sounds, or are they almost interchangeable?

lewis

Reaction score
I have a guitar that sounds too dark with the standard 707 set.I've been looking for a new set of active pickups with the option to coil split while also matching the theme of my guitar makeover.So far,it's boiled down to the EMG 707TWX-R set,the Fishman Fluence Modern set, and the Fishman Fluence TA set. Which set will brighten my guitar up and give me some glassy single coil sounds, or are they almost interchangeable?
Rpc knob to replace tone. Will make humbuckers sound like single coils the more you turn the knob up. Boosts highs and cuts lows at the same time. Also alot cheaper than a pickup swap

Joan Maal

Reaction score
from what I remember the x series is basically the equivalent of doing the 18v mod to a regular series. I know that it was that way for the 707 and 808 at least. I don't remember if it applied to the 81 or not though.

Based to everything I could read in this forum, it is not exactly like you wrote. 808s and Xs are 2 different pickups. You can improve the results from the 808s by doing the 18v mod and lowering the pickups, but it seems not enough to reach the Xs

lewis

Reaction score
They really need to expand that line.
Yeah they really need to. Plus add more cap colours on the entire 7 string range including the open coil stuff.

The closest you can get to that single coil emg sound on the 7 string sets that are not the 707tws, would be using that RPC knob i keep mentioning in here. That plus a 81-7x would give you the next best thing.
Turn knob to max and its like an 81 single coil. Turn it off for normal 81 sound.

Its what im going to do in my solar 7 string planned purchase this year

Curt

Reaction score
If im not thrilled with the Guitarmory pickups that are coming in my GOC Materia I am seriously considering an 81-7x/60-7x and then drilling a hole for that RPC knob.

Also I bought back my Alexi 600 from my brother that has a regular 81 in it so I might end up doing a comparison of the 81 and 81 x in that guitar soon.

lewis

Reaction score
If im not thrilled with the Guitarmory pickups that are coming in my GOC Materia I am seriously considering an 81-7x/60-7x and then drilling a hole for that RPC knob.

Also I bought back my Alexi 600 from my brother that has a regular 81 in it so I might end up doing a comparison of the 81 and 81 x in that guitar soon.
Would be amazing imo

Less compressed 81, with the 60 for amazing cleans/leads then use the RPC to mimic the sound of a single coil version of both.
Whats cool is its not all or nothing. It slowly adds more of the effect the more you turn it.

Might even work out that having a little of it on at all times for rhythm sounds great etc

lewis

Reaction score
Supposed to have my brand new EMG 81x and HAX in white, arriving early next week to finally go into my Ibanez Xiphos project!

Cant wait!

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
yeah true guys.

Also i think alot of people decide for no reason that what they were using (and fine at that) is now shit just because they jumped on the new thing.

EMGs sound great. As do Fishmans. (i have both). But i dont decide for no reason that EMGS are shit now just because I bought a set of Fishmans.
Me too. Replaced the 707s with the Tosin Fluences in my NT7, and still got 817X/607X in Omen 7.

jonsick

Reaction score
I have approximately 70 odd pickups in my drawer from Duncan, DiMarzio, BK and the likes. All my guitars bar 3 have EMGs in them. I know where I'm happy. It's taken me a long time of listening to various hypes and trying different theories, but to me EMG is king. I only need an 81/85 set and I'm perfectly happy!