Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact running at 9v won't cut it for your needs?
Yes. I already have two guitars with actives, and almost all my guitars came with them stock (with their oversized routings).

My favourites were the 57 and the 707-TW with a 18V I had at some point. I want to eventually swap them to TW variants as I always liked single coil EMGs (my favourite Gilmour tones). So I'm curious about the 707X at 24v. I always tend to prefer the X variants on the shootouts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes. I already have two guitars with actives, and almost all my guitars came with them stock (with their oversized routings).

My favourites were the 57 and the 707-TW with a 18V I had at some point. I want to eventually swap them to TW variants as I always liked single coil EMGs (my favourite Gilmour tones). So I'm curious about the 707X at 24v. I always tend to prefer the X variants on the shootouts.
Gotcha! I haven't tried any of the higher voltage mods but the TWX pickups are cool. I'm also tempted to try a 57 in one of my 7's or 8's.

Shask

Reaction score
I was wondering. Do you guys have any experience with the 24V / 18V mods on the X-series EMGs? Do they still improve or there's no difference? I can't seem to find much information around since most tests are with the classic models.

I've been considering getting back to actives for live shows in one of my bands, and I was considering the X-series as a possible happy compromise.
I switched my EMGs to 24v a few months ago, but mine are the TW models. I am not sure if the TW is closer to the orginal, or the X series.

Shask

Reaction score
You can probably just Jerry rig something without needing the actual clip if you wanna test it. Just get some wire, tape, and a 9v clip. Just tape a wire to the opposite ends of the batteries (positive to negative), tape each wire of the 9v clip to the other end (matching poles to the wires obvs), and tape it all together. Ghetto as hell, but it'll be a test just to see if it's worth it.

EDIT: Yknow what, I just bought a couple of A23s on Amazon just to see if this works. :lol: Heck I'm also gonna see if I have them at work tomorrow and also pick some up there too
That is what I did. I bought some A23s and A23 battery clips, and 9V clips, and I wired it all together. I got enough to make 5 of them for like $30 or something. They fit in the 9V battery box, with a small piece of cardboard wedged in to make sure it makes a connection.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That is what I did. I bought some A23s and A23 battery clips, and 9V clips, and I wired it all together. I got enough to make 5 of them for like $30 or something. They fit in the 9V battery box, with a small piece of cardboard wedged in to make sure it makes a connection.
I saw some A23 battery clips on Amazon, but I don't think this'll be a permanent thing. Literally just a curiosity since IME I've always preferred the compressed 9v sound over the 18v/X series preamp sound.

Well at least with the 81. I like how the 85x and 60x sound

gclef

Reaction score

The 57/66tws are really great pickups. I prefer the single coil sounds over the buckers sometimes.

I just was playing around with mine. The 57 is way more powerful than the 66, especially the splits. I adjusted the 57 down quite a bit to match volumes with the neck pu, and have a very new facet to work with.

Eq is also very different from passives. I am gonna say that at any given eq, a passive sounds more alive and detailed, while the emg sounds muffled by comparison. However, adjusting the eq to suit the emgs very much brings out the passive vibe everyone talks about. I ended up cutting bass and mids, and increasing highs (to 11 and 1 o'clock respectively) this opened them up to where the buckers are great and the singles are a bit bright, which I can tone control to taste.

Overall, I am very happy with them. They provide a sound I do not want to do without.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So yeah I ended up doing that Jerry rigged 24 Volt Mod. And yeah I'm shocked at how much I liked it. :lol: Really opened up the high end of the pickups. I wasn't expecting much since I found I didn't find much different with the 18v mod in the past and I didn't like the 81X. But I guess that extra 6 volts does something? :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
So yeah I ended up doing that Jerry rigged 24 Volt Mod. And yeah I'm shocked at how much I liked it. :lol: Really opened up the high end of the pickups. I wasn't expecting much since I found I didn't find much different with the 18v mod in the past and I didn't like the 81X. But I guess that extra 6 volts does something? :lol:

My brother got me a 24V Mod harness for my M-I last Christmas and I have no plans to remove it :metal: I haven't tried 18v in a long time to compare, but I'm definitely not going back to 9v for the typical 81/85/60 models

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
My brother got me a 24V Mod harness for my M-I last Christmas and I have no plans to remove it :metal: I haven't tried 18v in a long time to compare, but I'm definitely not going back to 9v for the typical 81/85/60 models
Yeah I'm keeping it in the 277 lol. Just ordered a pack of those 24-volt cases on Amazon and gonna try to make a couple of proper DIY ones.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Aaaalso got a Jackson JS22-7 that sounds... borderline ass. :lol: So I'm gonna Dino it and put a single 81-7 in it. Also gonna try the 24-volt mod on It eventually as well.

I wanna try a 707 as well with the same thing in the bridge. I heard doing the 18v mod to the 707 is a more drastic change than the 81, so I imagine the 24v mod is even better.

Shask

Reaction score
Aaaalso got a Jackson JS22-7 that sounds... borderline ass. :lol: So I'm gonna Dino it and put a single 81-7 in it. Also gonna try the 24-volt mod on It eventually as well.

I wanna try a 707 as well with the same thing in the bridge. I heard doing the 18v mod to the 707 is a more drastic change than the 81, so I imagine the 24v mod is even better.
Yeah, I have really liked 24v on all my guitars. I remember I liked 18v back in the day also, but fitting 2 batteries was a PITA. I can see sticking with 24v since it fits in the regular battery compartment. The low end seems to be more bouncy and fat, but not mushy. That is what I noticed the most.

I did it on 2 guitars with 81TWs. One has a TOM, and the other has a Floyd, but the TOM one sounds better. It is more chunky, where the Floyd one is smoother. I also did my 707. It brings out that Nevermore fat low end on that guitar. All those are Hellraisers, lol.

I also put my Fishman Moderns at about 16v. I thought 24v was a bit too much for them.