Are conspiracy theories more popular now than ever?

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Professors ABSOLUTELY bury results and theories they don't like, especially when there is massive pressure (publish or perish, promotions, expectations, students need to graduation). Again - only human. No amount of formal education will stamp that out.

You have entered The Conspiracy Zooonne...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I can totally get on board with the rationale of some of the smaller conspiracies. Like, I could see how the moon landing could have been faked up until whenever it was practical for random folks to get hold of high powered lasers. There's a good motive in proving Western technological superiority of the Soviets both for intimidation and for morale. But then the Russians never protested that the USA made it to the moon, no one else has tried since and the aforementioned retroreflectors.

What I can't cope with is the NWO type conspiracies where we're lied to about everything, science and education is all a smokescreen, and there both is a global shadow government but they're doing stuff right now to consolidate power. The stuff that requires complicity from millions of people, or a whole superfluous secondary layer of corruption on top of the broad daylight corruption that they don't bother to notice.

(Yes I totally am crossposting my frustration from deluded facebook friends)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Today I learned that some people think Australia doesn't exist - and that all so-called Australians are actors.

I mean, to be fair, a magical island with six foot tall jumping rats and beavers who have duck faces stapled on them does sound like a little kid made everything up. Next learning that every single piece of wildlife there wants nothing more than to kill you just to play with your entrails, that the entire nation is often on fire, and the whole place is 50 °C... well, perfect cover story to make people not want to go there. :lol:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Today I learned that some people think Australia doesn't exist - and that all so-called Australians are actors.

- What happened to that island off the coast of Australia? Not New Zealand, the other side/west of Australia? That's more like the Mandela affect. I do remember Mandela dying in the 80's, it was a big deal. I also remember that island on the globes in school. It's also where that missing Malaysia flight went down.
- We have crossed over into an alternate dimension caused by a botched hedron collider black hole experiment! It's all truth and all lies. It just depends what dimension you're from. Now that we're all mixed together there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. The only solution is to play guitar and party hard!

- People hate hearing about the the moon landing. It's all trust based. We don't really know, we just really assume and really trust what we're told. Is it more likely we put a man on the moon, or more likely our gov't lied to everyone, again? Maybe both are true. Maybe not.
- I think the moon consipiracy rises when people found out some images were just art representations and some footage was faked. It's understandable. Maybe the Russias are behind the consipracy. The world may never know. :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
- What happened to that island off the coast of Australia? Not New Zealand, the other side/west of Australia? That's more like the Mandela affect. I do remember Mandela dying in the 80's, it was a big deal. I also remember that island on the globes in school. It's also where that missing Malaysia flight went down.
- We have crossed over into an alternate dimension caused by a botched hedron collider black hole experiment! It's all truth and all lies. It just depends what dimension you're from. Now that we're all mixed together there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. The only solution is to play guitar and party hard!

- People hate hearing about the the moon landing. It's all trust based. We don't really know, we just really assume and really trust what we're told. Is it more likely we put a man on the moon, or more likely our gov't lied to everyone, again? Maybe both are true. Maybe not.
- I think the moon consipiracy rises when people found out some images were just art representations and some footage was faked. It's understandable. Maybe the Russias are behind the consipracy. The world may never know. :lol:
You can point a laser at a retroreflector the Apollo missions put on the moon.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
MH 370? The debris was found off the coast of Africa and Reunion, I thought. There are tons of islands off the western coast of Australia, though.

It's pretty difficult to prove that we didn't go to the Moon. There are tons of photos, moon rocks, broadcast video, witnesses, stuff we left on the lunar surface, etc.

What's the evidence it was faked? A mysterious woman (of whom no records exist) claimed she watched lunar landing on TV and saw an empty Coca-Cola bottle roll across the screen. Ok, sounds legit. LOL

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

If the moon landings are faked, they sure were thorough in creating thousands of hours of footage testing the various components. And they secretly had access to video post-production tech that wouldn't exist for decades. And the Russians would definitely have to be in on it. Oh and all the giant rockets.

Like all conspiracy theories, the one about the moon landing is only believable in the absolute absence of knowledge on any relevant topic.

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just my hot take, but anyone who gets most of their information from youtube is probably going to be painfully misinformed. A big part of the problem, whether you call it feel-facts, post-truth, or widespread stupidity, is that we no longer value information from expert sources over information from loudmouth dumbasses, whegher through laziness or convenience or even lack of informational resources.

If I learned mathematics from a college mathematics professor, I'm better informed than if I learned the same from a bunch of puppets. That's not to say that there is no value in the latter, but, for whatever reason, we've come to be more skeptical of official sources of information than we had been in the recent past.

It sometimes seems like virtually everyone buys into at least one conspiracy these days. As the economic situation of the general public within our circle of acquaintences gets generally worse, that tends to trend stronger, because people become less satisfied, overall, with reality.

Yeah, it´s kinda true that youtube doesn´t give you all the accurate information, but some channels are great and worth watching. It doesn´t replace classes with experts or long complex books and studies, but it can spark interest in science and learning. It´s mostly like documentaries. My favourite field is history, and these are some great channels about it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9ZtilfKJds0iWytR_pnOQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK09g6gYGMvU-0x1VCF1hgA

Also, there is a cool podcast that tells the history of Rome in great detail. I really like it.
https://open.spotify.com/show/6wiEd40oPbQ9UK1rSpIy8I

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
MH 370? The debris was found off the coast of Africa and Reunion, I thought. There are tons of islands off the western coast of Australia, though.
But the islands are no longer on the map. It's all just ocean. Mandela effect, in full effect : )
- I think really what happened is all those maps came out like that because it was just easier to put New Zealand to the left and make it look normal. Like a big mistake was made. It still doesn't expalin what that other giant continent like island was on some of them though. Wierd stuff.

If the moon landings are faked, they sure were thorough in creating thousands of hours of footage testing the various components. And they secretly had access to video post-production tech that wouldn't exist for decades. And the Russians would definitely have to be in on it. Oh and all the giant rockets.

Like all conspiracy theories, the one about the moon landing is only believable in the absolute absence of knowledge on any relevant topic.

You can point a laser at a retroreflector the Apollo missions put on the moon.

- I'm not saying we didn't go to the moon. I'm condident we did, but I'm also saying we don't really know anything other than what we're told. Everything is trust based and that trust is rapidly eroding because of the misuse/abuse of the internet/information.
- I would say I trust most authorities in their fields of expertise, because there's little reason not to, plus they don't want to destroy their credibility, but it's sad to see more hacks appearing like they're legit and I think it can be difficult for many to figure out they're a hack to begin with.

- The Scientific method is a good way to vet some things but, then again, sometimes conspiracy theorys could actually turn out to be true, though outlandish.

- I think the method of "more likely than not" should be applied to most things.

- I'm just having fun here everyone. There needs to be a devils advocate and it's a conspiracy thread too!

mastapimp

Reaction score
- I'm not saying we didn't go to the moon. I'm condident we did, but I'm also saying we don't really know anything other than what we're told.

You know there's still a living astronaut that landed on the Moon. And if you dispute that, he'll punch you in the face.

JSanta

Reaction score
- I'm not saying we didn't go to the moon. I'm condident we did, but I'm also saying we don't really know anything other than what we're told. Everything is trust based and that trust is rapidly eroding because of the misuse/abuse of the internet/information.
- I would say I trust most authorities in their fields of expertise, because there's little reason not to, plus they don't want to destroy their credibility, but it's sad to see more hacks appearing like they're legit and I think it can be difficult for many to figure out they're a hack to begin with.

- The Scientific method is a good way to vet some things but, then again, sometimes conspiracy theorys could actually turn out to be true, though outlandish.

- I think the method of "more likely than not" should be applied to most things.

- I'm just having fun here everyone. There needs to be a devils advocate and it's a conspiracy thread too!

You have several PhDs that have contributed to this thread already; the barrier to establish something as a fact is pretty high.

I heard this on NPR years ago, and it's still very relevant. Young woman is at an academic conference and the speaker asks everyone to raise their hand if it's a fact that the moon rotates around the Earth. Everyone raised their hand. Then the speaker asks how do they know it's a fact. All but a few still had their hand up.

It's one thing to believe what you're told, it's another to seek out whether or not what you were told is based in facts or not. That's completely on you, not the other way around. I can stand in front of my classroom and tell my students any number of things. I am the expert in the field. But that shouldn't be enough, they need to validate either through their own research or data collection that what I'm saying is indeed factual.

That's why (IMO) conspiracy theories and all sorts of other false "news" runs rampant. People don't do their homework to fact check the information, and that's on them. Even though the barrier today compared to pre-internet days is much lower to determine what is real and what isn't.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
The core concept of conspiracy theories is that there's is an objective truth that is kept hidden for mantaining lower classes in disadvantages conditions and upper classes rich.

Anti vaxxers, flat earthe believers, 9/11 ...they all share the same pattern: I'm in this underpriviliged conditions because some truth is kept hidden to my eyes, preventing me to reach a wellness state.

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In the end, conspiracy theories exist because they´re slightly connected to some truth. For example, the government really lies to you. They´re just exaggerated and taken to the extreme. If the government was more transparent about things like war crimes, I doubt there would be this many conspiracy theories.
They´re the symptom of a distrust a lot of people have of authorities, and sometimes that distrust is earned.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The core concept of conspiracy theories is that there's is an objective truth that is kept hidden for mantaining lower classes in disadvantages conditions and upper classes rich.

Anti vaxxers, flat earthe believers, 9/11 ...they all share the same pattern: I'm in this underpriviliged conditions because some truth is kept hidden to my eyes, preventing me to reach a wellness state.

Along that line, there's this natural questioning of education and expertise. There was a time when pretty much everyone wanted to go to university, or at least saw the value in it, but now I feel it's sour grapes mentality that says -- hey, if you went to university, they didn't teach you the real hidden truth. Actually, me, the guy who watches youtube videos on who built the pyramids until 4am -- I am the one who is truly educated.

Of course, getting an education to the point where you become an actual expert is fucking hard (/harder than watching youtube videos).

That's the really damaging aspect of all of this conspiracy culture IMO. It used to be a fun detour to go learn about some "hidden truth", until ultimately you had to reconcile it with reality. Bigfoot, faked moon landings, area 51, these are all kind of fun things to ponder. But people used to ultimately value actually getting educated on things, and eventually had to reconcile conspiracy info sources with established ones. Now, the predisposition is that any real fact (which we might just call one accepted by the scientific community and which has stood the test of time/competing theories) is now fake, and what is real is anything different you can find some blogs about.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Along that line, there's this natural questioning of education and expertise. There was a time when pretty much everyone wanted to go to university, or at least saw the value in it, but now I feel it's sour grapes mentality that says -- hey, if you went to university, they didn't teach you the real hidden truth. Actually, me, the guy who watches youtube videos on who built the pyramids until 4am -- I am the one who is truly educated.

Of course, getting an education to the point where you become an actual expert is fucking hard (/harder than watching youtube videos).

That's the really damaging aspect of all of this conspiracy culture IMO. It used to be a fun detour to go learn about some "hidden truth", until ultimately you had to reconcile it with reality. Bigfoot, faked moon landings, area 51, these are all kind of fun things to ponder. But people used to ultimately value actually getting educated on things, and eventually had to reconcile conspiracy info sources with established ones. Now, the predisposition is that any real fact (which we might just call one accepted by the scientific community and which has stood the test of time/competing theories) is now fake, and what is real is anything different you can find some blogs about.

Exactly.

They ultimately want to be seduced and not educated.
Education requires time and effort; seduction it's just a matter of minutes, the perfect timing for a 4 minutes youtube video of an housewife explaining how vaccines cause autism.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

The worst part of this is that there is some truth to it. There are systems in place that perpetuate wealth inequality, but it's fairly straightforward and surface level classical kleptocracy. But people instead come up with a second deeper fantasy that doesn't explain anything any better.

My current least favourite conspiracy is the "Brexit was sabotaged" one, where the EU is part of a worldwide cabal and Brexit was a grassroots rebellion not backed by billionaires that Boris/May/Gove/Rees-Mogg are purposefully sinking. It has to always be 4D chess with these people, not just some rich pricks leveraging racism for what amounts to insider trading.

Demiurge

Reaction score
In the end, conspiracy theories exist because they´re slightly connected to some truth. For example, the government really lies to you. They´re just exaggerated and taken to the extreme. If the government was more transparent about things like war crimes, I doubt there would be this many conspiracy theories.
They´re the symptom of a distrust a lot of people have of authorities, and sometimes that distrust is earned.

This is true, but it's kind of hilarious what comes out of this distrust. People will blow-past the obvious things like, "gee, these politicians are acting for the enrichment of themselves and their wealthy donors before their own constituents" (a profound betrayal), and harp about microchips in vaccines. The fantastical narratives seem to carry a greater appeal than the more pedestrian- and probably more fixable- ones.

Latest posts