Are conspiracy theories more popular now than ever?

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You know there's still a living astronaut that landed on the Moon. And if you dispute that, he'll punch you in the face.

You mean the same one that says he saw the UFO's when he went up there!? Yes, I'm poking fun. : )

- But seriously though. Why is Buzz Aldrin saying he saw UFO's and lying to/confusing everyone with this and then recants his statements? Either he's some kind of asshole, just looking for a quick dollar, or he was forced to recant or felt bad about lying and recanted. I wonder which it is.

You have several PhDs that have contributed to this thread already; the barrier to establish something as a fact is pretty high....

- I think the problem with people in general and apparently PHDs too is they read way to far into things, or possibly don't read enough. Probably cause I type to much and it becomes a tldr.
- For example. I've never once said we didn't land on the moon, but many have responded or commented like I've been arguiing that we didn't go the entire time, even though I've clearly stated I never said it, and in fact stated I'm confident we went there.

This is how the internet and universities tell me to respond as an alternative:

You know there's still a living astronaut that landed on the Moon. And if you dispute that, he'll punch you in the face.

You have several PhDs that have contributed to this thread already; the barrier to establish something as a fact is pretty high....

- I don't know why you think we didn't go to the moon. It's obvious we did and you're uneducated for thinking that. Additionally, to say grey aliens conspired with the NWO and are behind the covid vaccine in an attempt to kill us all is just preposterous! Why would any sane person think that! :lol:

Last edited:

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think in general, internet debates are thought to be personal far too often. In reality, the concern (at least for me) is not whether any of the interlocutors actually espouse a bad idea, but rather whether obvious falsehoods are treated such that they might appear to have merit to those reading (the vast majority of whom will never participate in the discussion; this mostly includes me, for example. I suddenly started posting a bit here recently for some reason but still haven't posted anywhere else on the internet in several years, despite being, against my better judgement, Very Online).

JSanta

Reaction score
You mean the same one that says he saw the UFO's when he went up there!? Yes, I'm poking fun. : )

- But seriously though. Why is Buzz Aldrin saying he saw UFO's and lying to/confusing everyone with this and then recants his statements? Either he's some kind of asshole, just looking for a quick dollar, or he was forced to recant or felt bad about lying and recanted. I wonder which it is.

- I think the problem with people in general and apparently PHDs too is they read way to far into things, or possibly don't read enough. Probably cause I type to much and it becomes a tldr.
- For example. I've never once said we didn't land on the moon, but many have responded or commented like I've been arguiing that we didn't go the entire time, even though I've clearly stated I never said it, and in fact stated I'm confident we went there.

- I don't know why you think we didn't go to the moon. It's obvious we did and you're uneducated for thinking that. Additionally, to say grey aliens conspired with the NWO and are behind the covid vaccine in an attempt to kill us all is just preposterous! Why would any sane person think that! :lol:

I never accused you of anything. I'm simply pointing out that the barrier to establish something as being a fact (i.e. something as truth) is very high. The onus is on you (the ALL of you, not you in particular) to make a coherent counterpoint.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One is just used as a clean booster shot.
giphy.gif

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
When Buzz Aldrin who is a NASA astronaut says he saw a UFO he doesn't mean a flying saucer or alien spacecraft. He means an "unidentified flying object", as in he saw something that was flying but wasn't sure what it was.

UFO is the term used for any unidentified flying object be it flying saucer, flying teapot, flying teapot or cosmic debris. He was likely talking about panels that had detached from the rocket and would have been following his same trajectory.

This is how Buzz can honestly say he saw a UFO and he didn't see aliens. This isn't a controversy even slightly.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Which Buzz Aldrin quote are you referencing? The one in 2005? I've never seen nor heard the quote itself, only references to it. I don't believe Aldrin ever recanted his statements, only said that what he had said was taken out of context.

Most of what conspiracy folks use to back up extraterrestrial theories is out of context. For example, UFO is simply a military/aviation term for "unidentified flying object," and, at least back in the late 60's and early 70's, it meant what it said it meant. A UFO was any object that was encountered whilst flying that could not be identified. Often times, during early space flights, UFOs were jettisoned boosters or other debris from the rocket. A UFO could also be a weather balloon, a bird, etc.

Anyway, the "he'll punch you in the face" comment, I trust, was a joke. Buzz Aldrin is something like 90 years old, but still gets violent when people accost him with moon landing conspiracy theories.

Who said you said we didn't land on the moon? I'm seeing you saying that we just have to trust the people who say we did, and a bunch of people responding by bringing up physical evidence that we were there. Seems like a rational call and response to me.

What's the problem with those two statements? The second doesn't even seem to correlate to anything you brought up in your post. Maybe I'm missing something. The Buzz Aldrin punching "you" thing, I'm sure was a joke, based on Aldrin's history of attacking people, but, even assuming it's not, and assuming that "you" was directed at @c7spheres in particular, I don't see how threatening to sick a 90-ish year old man who is uninvolved in the forum on you could be taken seriously.

I guess sarcasm is very difficult to convey over text. I'm 99.9% certain @mastapimp was being sarcastic, but only 70% certain you are being sarcastic, although I'm usually 100% sure when I'm sarcastic, I'm not even sure that I am being sarcastic anymore with this response. :p

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Which Buzz Aldrin quote are you referencing? The one in 2005? I've never seen nor heard the quote itself, only references to it. I don't believe Aldrin ever recanted his statements, only said that what he had said was taken out of context.

Most of what conspiracy folks use to back up extraterrestrial theories is out of context. For example, UFO is simply a military/aviation term for "unidentified flying object," and, at least back in the late 60's and early 70's, it meant what it said it meant. A UFO was any object that was encountered whilst flying that could not be identified. Often times, during early space flights, UFOs were jettisoned boosters or other debris from the rocket. A UFO could also be a weather balloon, a bird, etc.

Anyway, the "he'll punch you in the face" comment, I trust, was a joke. Buzz Aldrin is something like 90 years old, but still gets violent when people accost him with moon landing conspiracy theories.

Who said you said we didn't land on the moon? I'm seeing you saying that we just have to trust the people who say we did, and a bunch of people responding by bringing up physical evidence that we were there. Seems like a rational call and response to me.

What's the problem with those two statements? The second doesn't even seem to correlate to anything you brought up in your post. Maybe I'm missing something. The Buzz Aldrin punching "you" thing, I'm sure was a joke, based on Aldrin's history of attacking people, but, even assuming it's not, and assuming that "you" was directed at @c7spheres in particular, I don't see how threatening to sick a 90-ish year old man who is uninvolved in the forum on you could be taken seriously.

I guess sarcasm is very difficult to convey over text. I'm 99.9% certain @mastapimp was being sarcastic, but only 70% certain you are being sarcastic, although I'm usually 100% sure when I'm sarcastic, I'm not even sure that I am being sarcastic anymore with this response. :p
Buzz turns 91 this month!

mastapimp

Reaction score

I clearly forgot to include the :p at the end of my statement. I apologize for the confusion. :p

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

I'm not taking it seriously. Sure there was some sarcasm n there. I gotta use more of these too :D
- I can't find the original Buzz interview where he's talking about it, but in the ET interview he basically just says he "technically" saw a UFO. In the other one I saw he seemed a bit less detached about it. It don't mean aliens, but then the other astronaut right after that is talking about how Niel Armstrong said he saw aliens watching them while they were on the moon. I mean, I don't see Neil or Buzz caling bullshit on him or anything anywhere so I guess everyone should just trust him then. I have no choise but to believe in aliens on the moon now. They are here. They're coming for us. :eek:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I'm not taking it seriously. Sure there was some sarcasm n there. I gotta use more of these too :D
- I can't find the original Buzz interview where he's talking about it, but in the ET interview he basically just says he "technically" saw a UFO. In the other one I saw he seemed a bit less detached about it. It don't mean aliens, but then the other astronaut right after that is talking about how Niel Armstrong said he saw aliens watching them while they were on the moon. I mean, I don't see Neil or Buzz caling bullshit on him or anything anywhere so I guess everyone should just trust him then. I have no choise but to believe in aliens on the moon now. They are here. They're coming for us. :eek:
Considering the number of high altitude fliers that see "things" out the windows, including several well documented military experiences, the possibility that somebody standing on the moon, in a spacesuit built back then, would see "things" is somewhere quite a ways north of 0%. Especially considering the possible air quality that could be maintained in those suits at the time.

The human brain is a tricky little bastard. I objectively know certain things can't be real, but in the dead of the night when I see the family cat that's been dead for ten years running to her favorite place in the dark my brain still believes it for a split second.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm pretty inclined to believe in conspiracy theories if the goal of the given conspiracy is to start a war / increase military spending, on account of the we have multiple real examples.

Gulf of Tonkin incident, our pathetic excuse to invade Vietnam, didn't happen. Pentagon admitted it in 2005.

No weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, never were, no link to Al Queda, never was.

Also conspiracies to disenfranchise or imprison minorities. Can that even still be called conspiracy theory? It's more or less conspiracy fact.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Conspiracies can and do happen. That doesn't mean every conspiracy theory is based in fact. The examples you give are real conspiracies with tangible evidence trails. Quite a bit different from QAnon or the flat-earthers where you start with the premise that the truth is a lie comprised of thousands to millions of co-conspirators all acting in tandem to prevent the "real" reality from being acknowledged.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty inclined to believe in conspiracy theories if the goal of the given conspiracy is to start a war / increase military spending, on account of the we have multiple real examples.

Gulf of Tonkin incident, our pathetic excuse to invade Vietnam, didn't happen. Pentagon admitted it in 2005.

No weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, never were, no link to Al Queda, never was.

Also conspiracies to disenfranchise or imprison minorities. Can that even still be called conspiracy theory? It's more or less conspiracy fact.
Those are conspiracy theories, but are they "conspiracy theories?" I looked quite crazy when, back in 2002-2003, I was feverishly trying to convince everyone that the WMD thing made no logical sense and was thus bullshit. I said the same thing about al Queda in Iraq back then. It wasn't big brain stuff, just common sense. Why we would invade if they had WMD instead of getting the UN inspectors in there (who weren't being kept out)? Why would a fundamentalist religious group be supported by a secularist dictator? It was all ridiculous at the time, but people were angry about 911, so emotions >>>>>> logic, I guess...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Here's an idea:

Why don't we round up all the conspiracy theory nuts and like vanish them, giving them what they always wanted?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Here's an idea:

Why don't we round up all the conspiracy theory nuts and like vanish them, giving them what they always wanted?

What a conspiracy nut wants is essentially the feeling of being knowledgeable without putting the effort to gain knowledge. If you rounded them all up, no one would be happy because they'd all be surrounded by people who think they know what's really going on.