Are guitar picks overlooked?

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I actually use different picks with different guitars, since my hand position isn't 100% identical everywhere. (different bridges, neck-to-body ratio, body shape etc)
I usually use Dunlop nylons 1.0 when I wanna chug (ESPs, Gibsons, Solar), and Ultex Jazz III XLs otherwise (Mostly EBMM Luke 2).

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I mostly bounce between purple and green Tortex. I like the way the strings dig into them. The secret is to buy them in bulk, then toss them once they loose their initial edge.

More recently I’ve been using yellow Tortex as well. I’m trying to lighten my touch and not smash the strings so freakin’ hard.

Reaction score
I remember that when I started to play the guitar I couldn't find the picks I liked, so I'd glue a couple and go from there. Then a few years later, because I hadn't the time for such endeavors I settled for what I could find locally, always kind of bummed for the pics didn't really feel right. A few years went on and I got a chance to beta test a few pics of a brand that didn't even start (unfortunately) and have been exposed to really thick pics of varied sizes. I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I had found my holy grail... well, almost. 4mm was where I was at... but the brand didn't stick with us and I was forced to source something else... "hey, I could grind some in stainless steel"... the loop closes.

... and so I went to the hardware store to find myself a stainless beam or sheet of stainless steel. To my disappointment, I could not find such desired material, so I stick with the most similar, a 4mm by 2cm by 1m beam of steel, from which I've been grinding my picks. The first ones were similar to the ones I liked best from the ones I've tested, they suited my 3 finger grip (thumb, pointing finger and middle finger) and did about 3 of them, one travels with me and the other 2 stay at home... until about 3 or 4 months ago...

At the end of a band's rehearsal, the pick I was using slipped from my hand found itself into the pick void... in the rehearsal room. I spent about 10 minutes looking for it and not finding it. unfortunately, the band's rehearsals are irregular (also due to CoViD) and only 2 weeks later we were able to get together again... Fuck it, I grind a few more, even though I do have spares at home. I did grind new ones, 3 new ones, a little smaller in size compared to the ones i was used to. They didn't really felt right at the beginning, because the 3 finger grip wasn't so functional... somehow, I managed to make the change from that grip to the thumb+indicator grip in one week. I had tested the 2 finger grip before, but always felt awkward until now. FUCK, what a change, speed, controlled speed was miles easier... and the endurance... and precision... shit, things that I was struggling to get right suddenly became simple... so fucking weird. It only took one fucking week to get it... and the freedom of the right hand for from nowhere tapping and back to picking... shiiiit. My playing became way tighter.

Funny thing, in the next rehearsal I found that the missing pick had fall into the rack, which had been with me all the time and I hadn't notice it.

So, this to say that the pick IS my main starting point in my playing since they're the direct connection between my intention and my expression. I prioritize them over the strings, because the strings are exterior to my body, and the pick must be an extension of it... in a certain way, so do the strings and rest of the gear, but you get my point. From that point on, I've been preferring small sized (in area) picks in general, and those I ground in steel to play electric guitar. In my acoustic, I'll play with plastic picks as small as possible, but not the smallest ones.

... my picks are not overlooked...

Rosal76

Reaction score
... or may work better on certain guitars or string gauges.

After many years of using Dunlop 1.14 guitar picks, I will probably change to Dunlop 1.14 sharp picks. I ordered a guitar tab book from Sheet Happens and they were nice enough to send me some free Sheet Happens guitar picks that have the pointy ends. For curiosity, I decided to use them for a week and thought I'd just go back to using the regular Dunlop 1.14 picks. I have not switched back. After reading the replies in this thread, I started thinking about the string gauges I use which are the Ernie Ball Extra Slinky (8-11-14-22-30-38) set. With string gauges that thin, you have to pick really light. If you pick too deep, the strings, especially the high E will snag. I figure, if I switch to the Dunlop pick with the pointier end, there is less contact between the pick and guitar string. Switching picks just may be a really good decision for my playing. Picks overlooked? I would definitely have to say yes for me.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
After many years of using Dunlop 1.14 guitar picks, I will probably change to Dunlop 1.14 sharp picks. I ordered a guitar tab book from Sheet Happens and they were nice enough to send me some free Sheet Happens guitar picks that have the pointy ends. For curiosity, I decided to use them for a week and thought I'd just go back to using the regular Dunlop 1.14 picks. I have not switched back. After reading the replies in this thread, I started thinking about the string gauges I use which are the Ernie Ball Extra Slinky (8-11-14-22-30-38) set. With string gauges that thin, you have to pick really light. If you pick too deep, the strings, especially the high E will snag. I figure, if I switch to the Dunlop pick with the pointier end, there is less contact between the pick and guitar string. Switching picks just may be a really good decision for my playing. Picks overlooked? I would definitely have to say yes for me.
Yeah, you gotta play with accuracy with those gauges of strings and pick. ONe thing I noticed with the sharp picks (Dunlop Sharp) is that they can get snaggy at times as it's really easy to go to deep with them.
- Another thing I notied about them is if you're use to a 1.14 on a normal shaped pick, for example, then if you want a similar feel to that but with the sharp pick yet still retain the precision of the sharp pick then go up a guage o nthe sharp pick, so in this case going to a 1.35 (the black one) will feel more similar. It could all be in my head but that's my experience with them.

Rosal76

Reaction score
It could all be in my head but that's my experience with them.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm gonna order picks with pointer ends than what I was using. I will probably order a set of Ernie Ball Prodigy picks. The only downfall that I read from individuals that have used them is that they wear out quickly. However, because I use a very thin guitar string set, they may last longer. Regardless, I kind of expected a guitar pick with a end that pointy to wear out.

P09199.png

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Regardless of the outcome, I'm gonna order picks with pointer ends than what I was using. I will probably order a set of Ernie Ball Prodigy picks. The only downfall that I read from individuals that have used them is that they wear out quickly. However, because I use a very thin guitar string set, they may last longer. Regardless, I kind of expected a guitar pick with a end that pointy to wear out.

P09199.png
I've been using the mini jazz sized prodigys, and they hold up pretty well ime .

Rosal76

Reaction score
I've been using the mini jazz sized prodigys, and they hold up pretty well ime .

I'll order the set I pictured above. I pick lightly anyways and with the E.B. Extra light string gauge that I use, I would think that the Prodigy pick will last longer. Really eager to try that Prodigy pick out. May have to place a order sooner than I thought. :agreed:

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score

P09199.png

I just started using these in the past couple months (was using jazz 3’s). These definitely help cut down on excess movement from your wrist for me and I think I’ll be using these for a while.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
I think they are overlooked by the average player a bit, but it seems very consistent that many professional metal guitarists are still using Jazz III's, Dunlop sharps, or something similar. I used Jazz III's for years, and then finally tried the Dunlop sharps(mostly due to Loomis using them and then Kyle from Vitriol) and it was game over. Love those picks, and I greatly prefer them to the weird beveled Ernie ball version. So, now I am happy to overlook and under think guitar picks, the Dunlop sharps are perfect for me... finally.

Now, for recording it's a totally different ballgame and you should use what sounds best. On the latest episode of riff hard podcast that had the guys from Archspire on, they talked about how Dave Otero had them use all sorts of different picks and they settled on what sounded best and had to sorta spend a day learning how to play with the new pick. This means even thought they use Jazz III's live(well I know Dean does) they didn't record with it, because something else sounded better.

gnoll

Reaction score
I go for whatever pick is easiest to play and dgaf about tone! And that is Jazz iii xl for me.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Not sure about overlooked but yeah. For playing and practicing I get the comfiest pick, and for recording I get the one that sounds the brightest / most aggressive.

myampslouder

Reaction score
I went down like a 6 month long crazy hole totally obsessing over finding just the right pick when I first started playing 7 string guitar.

I’d been using 2.0mm dunlop gator grips for the longest time but when I got my first 7 string I couldn’t get the punchy clear attack on the low B and it drove me crazy and I probably tried 30 different picks. I finally settled on the black tortex jazz iii. Been using them for at least 10 years now. Also like the max grip jazz iii quite a bit.

it’s really crazy how much a pick can change your tone.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I have so many different picks now I don't know what to do. Do any of you use a tackle tray or something?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
After playing Jazz IIIs Max Grips (carbon fiber) for like 12 years, I had to switch. My playstyle is too agressive for their size and I ended up destroying my fingernail, lol.

Tried bigger ones, but felt huge under my fingers. Dunlop Flows are a happy compromise. After trying different gauges, I settled on the 1mm gauge since they are very stiff regardless of the thickness.

I still want to try the Ibanez Sand/Rubbergrips. Their shape is the best one in business (same as the Paul Gilbert picks). The PG ones were too damn slippery.

gnoll

Reaction score
After playing Jazz IIIs Max Grips (carbon fiber) for like 12 years, I had to switch. My playstyle is too agressive for their size and I ended up destroying my fingernail, lol.

Tried bigger ones, but felt huge under my fingers. Dunlop Flows are a happy compromise. After trying different gauges, I settled on the 1mm gauge since they are very stiff regardless of the thickness.

I still want to try the Ibanez Sand/Rubbergrips. Their shape is the best one in business (same as the Paul Gilbert picks). The PG ones were too damn slippery.

Yea I could use something that's a cross between the small Jazz IIIs and the XL ones. The small ones are just a little bit too small but the big ones are unnecessarily big.