Are guitar picks overlooked?

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

James W Thomas

Dr. Jim (Actual doctor, but not that kind)
Reaction score
I used red Jazz IIIs for years but finally got tied of what felt like too much clicky attack, so a couple of years ago I bought a variety of picks and had a shoot-out over a period of a few months. I landed on the red Dunlop Stubby picks for recording and more technical playing as the shape allows less pluck/more sliding off of the string (if that makes sense) to reduce the amount of attack. I suspect this would be love or hate for most players. The downside is that these picks are fairly fragile so I replace them often, and forget about any kind of pick side as that will cut grooves into the pick.
I landed on the gator-grip Jazz III's for live/general purpose, FWIW.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I did an experiment a while ago where I tried all sorts of different picks, even wood and horn ones. They definitely affect the tone. I found the one of like 20 I tried side by side and picked that as my main pick, but sometimes having different picks for different styles is good, too, in my opinion.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say they are definitely overlooked, BUT, god damn the whole tonewood picks and "what picks do you use" people are fucking dumb.
there is a point of diminishing returns... it all matters but to limited degrees. There's no magic bullet but you can remove variables if you cant pinpoint whats wrong.

I love red Jazz III's and Im one of those who pick almost every not unless Im tapping. recently tried the Jazz III max grip graphites and they work too.

Dayn

Reaction score
Something else to consider is how the pick wears with use. Ever since switching to Jazz IIIs with the grip, I've rarely had an issue with playing as the wear doesn't have much effect.

I do have a big wooden pick that I used for my bass, but it wore down quickly and it has a definite bevel to it. Makes it a bit scratchy which doesn't affect the sound, but does affect the feel.

But I certainly think changing to a new pick might fix a lot of issues with playing, if not tone.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of picks just don't work for me because after a few minutes they're half the size they were before.

That's why I don't use Ibanez picks even though they have the best shape ever. I just desintegrate them. You might enjoy the Dunlop Flows, though. They're Ultex and last longer than most picks.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of picks just don't work for me because after a few minutes they're half the size they were before.
This is especially true with bass picking. Every pick looks like it's got it's head dented in a boxing match after a good session.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Flow gang rise up! There's at best a handful of us!

Seriously, those guys are my jam in an. 88 gauge, and I'll never go to anything else at this point. Knowing I found "my" pick is one of the best feelings that exists.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Flow gang rise up! There's at best a handful of us!

Seriously, those guys are my jam in an. 88 gauge, and I'll never go to anything else at this point. Knowing I found "my" pick is one of the best feelings that exists.
They're aren't my main pick but those are instant better shred player picks. Playing fast is instantly easier. I just couldn't jive with them for chugs though. They're perfect for leads. Same with the Hetfields.

gclef

Reaction score
Picks are totally overlooked.

Material, point sharpness, bevel and thickness, all play a part in the overall feel and sound.

I am keen on gravity picks. I love the acrylic ones.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the classic sharpDunlop sharp Jazz III's and have just lately tried the black carbon fiber sure grip versions and love those too. I like a sharp precise pick and one that isnt too slick. I vary my attack a lot.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used red Jazz IIIs for years but finally got tied of what felt like too much clicky attack, so a couple of years ago I bought a variety of picks and had a shoot-out over a period of a few months. I landed on the red Dunlop Stubby picks for recording and more technical playing as the shape allows less pluck/more sliding off of the string (if that makes sense) to reduce the amount of attack. I suspect this would be love or hate for most players. The downside is that these picks are fairly fragile so I replace them often, and forget about any kind of pick side as that will cut grooves into the pick.
I landed on the gator-grip Jazz III's for live/general purpose, FWIW.
I sand my jazz III's a tad... especially for recording I have a few that are worn in just so for that stuff.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
That's why I don't use Ibanez picks even though they have the best shape ever. I just desintegrate them. You might enjoy the Dunlop Flows, though. They're Ultex and last longer than most picks.

I just got a variety pack of these, I really dig them. I was swapping between gator grip and ultex depending on my playing but these seem to sit right in the middle and have less pick attack noise for me.

WarMachine

Reaction score
They were for me. I used the standard Tortex pics the whole time i've been playing. I recently tried out the Tortex FLOW pics and i'm hooked. Oh, and it comes in black, NOT purple lol

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Tried the Dunlop Flow 1.5 mm and I can't jsut put it downj. So far I'm putting it above the Petrucci Jazz 3, which is my favorite of all the jazz 3 derivatives..