Are guitar picks overlooked?

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Yea I could use something that's a cross between the small Jazz IIIs and the XL ones. The small ones are just a little bit too small but the big ones are unnecessarily big.
The JP Jazz III is bigger than Jazz III but smaller than Jazz III XL.

redragon

Reaction score
Not by me, I am always trying new picks. Haven’t yet, however, found anything better than the TUSQ picks. Thin but strong for the chuggz and the leedz.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I have so many different picks now I don't know what to do. Do any of you use a tackle tray or something?

Actually, yes.1636464829500.jpg

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’m always trying new picks out, so far I like the flow shape. But the material isn’t my favorite, so I grabbed a bunch of tortex flows. Which for some stupid reason are not beveled on the edges like the regular flows. So I bought a sampler pack of prodigy picks. Those look promising.

foreright

Reaction score
I’m always trying new picks out, so far I like the flow shape. But the material isn’t my favorite, so I grabbed a bunch of tortex flows. Which for some stupid reason are not beveled on the edges like the regular flows. So I bought a sampler pack of prodigy picks. Those look promising.

Yup, no idea why the tortex picks have square edges! I spent some time bevelling a tortex flow and it's MUCH better. Still prefer the JP Jazz III over those though. I'm vaccilating between the JP Jazz III, the JP flow and my Xen (Kirinite) Kukri right now.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Yup, no idea why the tortex picks have square edges! I spent some time bevelling a tortex flow and it's MUCH better. Still prefer the JP Jazz III over those though. I'm vaccilating between the JP Jazz III, the JP flow and my Xen (Kirinite) Kukri right now.
I might give that a try. I seem to gravitate towards a pick that’s between 1.33 all the way up to 2.0. But at those thicknesses without any edge beveling it seems to fight the strings a bit more than I like.

Stiman

Reaction score
I have some Prodigy mini 1.5mm and Ibanez PJTC picks on the way. Really want that Tortex Jazz III size and shape with bevelled edges. Hope one of these are it.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some Prodigy mini 1.5mm and Ibanez PJTC picks on the way. Really want that Tortex Jazz III size and shape with bevelled edges. Hope one of these are it.

i like the prodigy as well but they wear down way too quickly for the price. Get like one hour of picking until the point is already done.

foreright

Reaction score

I found the prodigy mini to be too small - I have one in my hand and comparing it to a regular Jazz III with my calpiers it is 1.5mm shorter and 1.3mm narrower.

Stiman

Reaction score
I found the prodigy mini to be too small - I have one in my hand and comparing it to a regular Jazz III with my calpiers it is 1.5mm shorter and 1.3mm narrower.

Hmm, that might end up being a problem. Are the non-mini ones smaller than a regular tortext pick? Ideally I'd want something smaller that a Flow size pick.

foreright

Reaction score
Hmm, that might end up being a problem. Are the non-mini ones smaller than a regular tortext pick? Ideally I'd want something smaller that a Flow size pick.

The pic here is a prodigy mini, regular jazz 3, JP flow, jumbo flow and prodigy standard.

9F7E2A34-A449-400C-9722-9547C9780C9E.jpeg

The prodigy standard is the same width and a tiny bit longer than the JP flow.

Edit: As an aside, the bevel on the prodigy is really nice, if they made one the same size as the JP Jazz III (and in 3mm or slightly thicker but that's just dreaming...) I think it would be absolutely ideal for me. I just find the mini too small and the standard too big :)

Last edited:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I started using the Dunlop sharp a while ago & they improved tone, attack, more articulate palm mutes, trem picking, & triplets tremendously! Takes a minute to get used to but it was worth it! Will never use anything else again!
index1.jpg

I've been using the .88 Tortex Sharps pretty much exclusively for 7 or 8 years :metal: the only other picks I've used in that time have been the normal-shaped .73 Tortex, and even that is just for acoustic and bass.

My favorite pick before finding the Sharps was probably the black Jazz III XL Stiffo. The JP Jazz was good, but too rounded on the edges for my taste. Same deal with the Flow. IMO part of the magic of the Sharps for me is how squared off and aggressive they are when they're still new.

thomas.reuter

Reaction score
I've used exclusively Petrucci IIIs for a while and they've been awesome for me

PatientMental76

Reaction score
I've been using the .88 Tortex Sharps pretty much exclusively for 7 or 8 years :metal: the only other picks I've used in that time have been the normal-shaped .73 Tortex, and even that is just for acoustic and bass.

My favorite pick before finding the Sharps was probably the black Jazz III XL Stiffo. The JP Jazz was good, but too rounded on the edges for my taste. Same deal with the Flow. IMO part of the magic of the Sharps for me is how squared off and aggressive they are when they're still new.

They are man, the difference vs normal picks if you play aggressive music is night & day!

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Been enjoying Winspear (shoutout to @Winspear) a lot

The thickness honestly adds a lot of weight to your chugs. So you get the heavy sound without having to expend so much effort.

The tips are really precise. And some of the materials really affect the tone - some are quite bright and chirpy, and others have a much duller sound. So if I'm recording something, I have preferred picks for chunky riffs, string skipping stuff, tremolo picking etc.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
For the longest time, I used Fender Mediums and/or the free picks I'd get from JustStrings.com...until I discovered Hetfield's Black Fangs a few years ago. I used a .73 until the owner at my local music store turned me onto the White Fangs about a month ago. I now use a 1.0 White Fang and it's made a huge difference in my playing. I love these picks.

Picks.jpg

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Flow gang rise up! There's at best a handful of us!

Seriously, those guys are my jam in an. 88 gauge, and I'll never go to anything else at this point. Knowing I found "my" pick is one of the best feelings that exists.
I'm with ya!

Jim Dunlop Tortex Flow Standard .73mm (yellow). Fast transitions and the .73 gives me more dynamic playing/tone than thicker gauges. Ultex versions are great too but chip too easily at thinner gauge like the .73