Axe fx or pod hd pro x or eleven rack

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
Just curious as to why the Kemper is rarely discussed in this sort of thread?

I would imagine (assuming of course, that I am not alone in this opinion) that the Kemper kinda relies on the user having great amps to profile, whereas the Axe is a great amp (preamp) in itself.

I would definitely have a Kemper as well if I had a selection of awesome tube amps to profile :cool: , but don't feel that I would enjoy it as much just using other people's profiles/amps. I suppose if you knew a few people that had great amps and didn't mind you "stealing" their amp's sound then the Kemper would also be a cool thing to have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbone Shaggins

Burglar 4 S8N
Reaction score
People seem to be sharing profiles right and left online -- the filesize is quite manageable -- and it ships with a number of profiles, from what I understand. I'm not advocating it -- I'm just curious as to whether there's some downside I'm overlooking (haven't had a chance to try it yet, of course).

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
For "High Gain" work, I've tried all of the Line 6 Variants to date and owned a GSP1101 for a bit, and was deeply underwhelmed by how "fizzy", "boomy", "Flabby", etc. The High Gain Models were in each. FINALLY I broke with my tradition of not liking AVID (just ask any avid user/pro tools user why they don't like/trust avid) and bought an ELEVEN RACK. WOW!!!

Finally, a mid priced (cheap if used, around $300) rack unit that can do actually chunk/chug without it turning in to mush. THE SECRET SAUCE?????

Simple. You can put two FULL FOUR BAND parametric E.Q.s in the signal chain BEFORE the high gain amp model. This is an old trick used by wads of folks in the hardware world. Typically, using something like a PARADRIVER to bleed off some bass, boost around 800hz and punch up the level before the primary gain stage. You can put one parametric after the amp and one before, either way :) That way you can get fine control over the signal before the gain starts to mush it up and, if you like, after the amp as well. The importance of good parametric eq (not just a parametric mid range per some other multi units) can't be overstated imho.

This results in "Tight", chunky, high gain, ala MESHUGGAH. Not the flabby, fizzy, high gain that most mid price multi units push. Here is a short soundcloud demo from the output of my 11 rack using a custom patch recorded via usb.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/avid-elevn-rack-custom-patch[/SC]

artworks-000073438925-h3tt90-t500x500.jpg

matisq

Reaction score
I hope to get 11r someday. I hope also it can handle djent sounds :)

AgileButt

Reaction score
I hope to get 11r someday. I hope also it can handle djent sounds :)

If you want a multi-effects processor, you'd be better off going with an Pod HD500X. The amp modeling isn't as good for classic/rock sounding stuff, but i suits the "djent" sound much better than the 11R IMO. Plus, it's cheaper, has all the pedal/switch stuff going on, and it won't pigeonhole you into Pro Tools. Although, you will need an interface in order to record with it. I own the Hd Pro (not the X) and I'm real happy with all my "djent" tones. Especially the ambient/clean sounds for atmospheric leads.

If you were more interested in riffing than leads tho, then the Laney IRT studio also kicks serious ass. Looks small, but sounds huge. Thing was pretty much made for djenting.

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
Your kidding right? The POD series, even the newest models, all still suffer *IMHO from serious FIZZ. The high gain is boomy/boofy/fizzy/dark and not very tight :( If you've got an example of a patch that disputes this, please post it ;) I posted my example already. :) If you can't deliver a patch that sounds at least that good, then bah humbug :)

Todd

If you want a multi-effects processor, you'd be better off going with an Pod HD500X. The amp modeling isn't as good for classic/rock sounding stuff, but i suits the "djent" sound much better than the 11R IMO. Plus, it's cheaper, has all the pedal/switch stuff going on, and it won't pigeonhole you into Pro Tools. Although, you will need an interface in order to record with it. I own the Hd Pro (not the X) and I'm real happy with all my "djent" tones. Especially the ambient/clean sounds for atmospheric leads.

If you were more interested in riffing than leads tho, then the Laney IRT studio also kicks serious ass. Looks small, but sounds huge. Thing was pretty much made for djenting.

DarthV

Reaction score
I would imagine (assuming of course, that I am not alone in this opinion) that the Kemper kinda relies on the user having great amps to profile, whereas the Axe is a great amp (preamp) in itself.

I would definitely have a Kemper as well if I had a selection of awesome tube amps to profile :cool: , but don't feel that I would enjoy it as much just using other people's profiles/amps. I suppose if you knew a few people that had great amps and didn't mind you "stealing" their amp's sound then the Kemper would also be a cool thing to have.

There are so many awesome free profiles available, I can't see anyone feel like they lack good amps to snapshot. Not to mention a whole fleet of high quality commercial profiles.

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
I have tube amps and a Kemper.I have made some good profiles but the some of my favorite came stock on the unit and free on the rig exchange. I have to say though that is at the same time fun and frustrating learning to get a profile sounding right. This is not really due to the Kemper but room, mic placement, mics, speakers, cabs, eqs...

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
I built this tone to showcase just how BARRUUTZ the 11 can be. It's not everyones cup, but it's sure mine :) While it's true the AXE is just all around probably superior, it also costs 2k. You can get a brand new 11 for about $300 these days on ebay. To Wit......

http://youtu.be/Zg1XuM1HqzU

Shask

Reaction score
I built this tone to showcase just how BARRUUTZ the 11 can be. It's not everyones cup, but it's sure mine :) While it's true the AXE is just all around probably superior, it also costs 2k. You can get a brand new 11 for about $300 these days on ebay. To Wit......

http://youtu.be/Zg1XuM1HqzU

That sounds kind of squaky to me, but pretty good overall.

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
Post a tone that youv'e built that isn't squaky and we will all give it a whirl :) Or heck, post any tone at all that you've created and we will listen to that. Anything heavy will do :) Any recording of any kind really. Anything.

Put up anything you'd consider "non squaky" and I"d be glad to give it a listen. :)

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I was considering the 11R and the 1101 for a while after messing around with the iPad stuff...went with the GSP just because I got a sick deal locally on the unit and the C2 floor control. It's not 100% there yet, but I'm digging the tones...latest patch is on the clip in my sig.

Did the OP ever try anything out modeler wise?

ace_operations

Reaction score
I have the 11R and I love it, but I primarily use it at home to practice and record some ideas/riffs. The one other thing with the 11R is that it has an XLR mic input and phantom power which can be used to mic a cabinet for recording should you choose to go down that road. It's a all-in-one solution for the home recording guitarist. Can't speak much for the Axe/others since I've not played them.

ChickenNoodleSoup

Reaction score
Post a tone that youv'e built that isn't squaky and we will all give it a whirl :) Or heck, post any tone at all that you've created and we will listen to that. Anything heavy will do :) Any recording of any kind really. Anything.

Can't he just leave his feedback without having to record anything for you? If you truly want an example of a tone that isn't relatively "squeaky," then just be resourceful and browse the interwebz/Youtube for a couple of minutes.

There seems to e this overbearing low-end resonance in your tone that you need to tame. The top-end sounds fizzy, and there's quite a few harsh frequencies. I'm pretty sure the 11R has a multi-band PEQ, so I'd definitely use that to cut some of those frequencies. It looks like you crank the shit out of your Treble and Bass knobs while turning the mids way down. This may sound kinda good in the bedroom at first, but it's not an ideal way to dial in an amp. It's one thing to scoop your mids, but you really took it to the extreme. I assume that these amp settings are playing a fundamental role in the boomy/fizzy/squeaky nature of the tone.

I don't own an 11R myself, but I can't imagine setting the amp's Drive/Boost so high to be necessary for achieving a thick metal tone, even if you do prefer like "gainy" tones. Do you run a noise gate/OD before the amp?

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
He can do whatever he likes and so can you :) Then again so can I which is why I was asking for a recorded example from him. Of course I could go google for other "squaky" tones. That's not what I"m after. I want to hear what he specifically is talking about. Through a post of someone else or hopefully himself providing examples to help clarify what he is saying.

Personally I don't hear any "fizz" in this tone as I despise fizz so already we have some difference of thought on what "fizz" is. Thus, requesting some clips played by him or anyone to serve as reference would help.

The 'overwhelming" bass isn't traditional Les Paul territory to be sure, but given that it's a 7 string guitar, and a 7 string tone, I think it sounds freaking awesome. Not looking for a "strat tone" here.

Can't he just leave his feedback without having to record anything for you? If you truly want an example of a tone that isn't relatively "squeaky," then just be resourceful and browse the interwebz/Youtube for a couple of minutes.

There seems to e this overbearing low-end resonance in your tone that you need to tame. The top-end sounds fizzy, and there's quite a few harsh frequencies. I'm pretty sure the 11R has a multi-band PEQ, so I'd definitely use that to cut some of those frequencies. It looks like you crank the shit out of your Treble and Bass knobs while turning the mids way down. This may sound kinda good in the bedroom at first, but it's not an ideal way to dial in an amp. It's one thing to scoop your mids, but you really took it to the extreme. I assume that these amp settings are playing a fundamental role in the boomy/fizzy/squeaky nature of the tone.

I don't own an 11R myself, but I can't imagine setting the amp's Drive/Boost so high to be necessary for achieving a thick metal tone, even if you do prefer like "gainy" tones. Do you run a noise gate/OD before the amp?

Shask

Reaction score
I dont have a way to post samples online.

What I mean by "Squaky" is the cocked-wah type sound. Sounds like you are boosting too much EQ before the amp. You are probably boosting too much in the 500hz-1200hz range before the amp. This gives a dramatic cocked-wah type sound on every chug.

I am not talking about fizz. Fizz is usually too many highs around 3000hz after the amp. That is something different.....

TechniquesWithTodd

TechniquesWithTodd.c
Reaction score
I've got a BIG hump around 800 hz just to give it a "cocked wah" sort of sound on the chug. Thanks for elucidating on the previous post. I"m getting what you are saying about Squaky now. I put the squak in there to actually help it park itself in the mix. This is certainly not everyones cup of tea as it's an old trick from the 80's. I always liked the way it sounded. :)

I dont have a way to post samples online.

What I mean by "Squaky" is the cocked-wah type sound. Sounds like you are boosting too much EQ before the amp. You are probably boosting too much in the 500hz-1200hz range before the amp. This gives a dramatic cocked-wah type sound on every chug.

I am not talking about fizz. Fizz is usually too many highs around 3000hz after the amp. That is something different.....

Shask

Reaction score
I've got a BIG hump around 800 hz just to give it a "cocked wah" sort of sound on the chug. Thanks for elucidating on the previous post. I"m getting what you are saying about Squaky now. I put the squak in there to actually help it park itself in the mix. This is certainly not everyones cup of tea as it's an old trick from the 80's. I always liked the way it sounded. :)

Yeah, I usually tend to use this method also. I usually boost the 800hz-1000hz-1400hz range (depending on if I want chug or clank) with an EQ or a Tubescreamer, and then cut the mids around 800hz after the amp.

I would just dial it back by a few db so that you get the benefit of the pre-eq, but the squak is less obnoxious.