Baldurs Gate 3

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
After I did the encounter I was having issues not finding the owlbear cub afterwards, went searching reddit to see if I did something wrong. The number of different approaches people can take to that scenario is really crazy.
I made sure to check on the owl bear cub after the majority of the goblins were dead from the first encounter and told it that it can stay at my camp. No cute animals left behind!
I mostly talked my way out of fighting the goblins in the bilghted village, largely because I was exhausted from fighting those fucking phase spiders. I also spent a good amount of time slaughtering goblins in the main camp, though I did it a bit more sneaky beaky like at first. I talked my way in past the first gate, then I had Astarion walk over to the main grog bowl and poison it, which took out quite a few goblins, then I went up top and assassinated all the enemies near the crumbling wall. I basically left whatever stragglers were alive outside alone. Once inside I used enhance leap on Astarion and positioned him right above Dror Ragzlin in the throne room, then I moved all the other party members (Gale/Shadowheart) into advantageous positions for an ambush. I then ran around on my own and basically murdered straggler goblins near the throne room/ destroyed their war drums so they couldn't help the throne room goblins. After that I kicked off the ambush with Astarion sneak attacking Dror, and my barbarian yeeting people into the spider pit. It was a bit of a shit show at first with everyone focusing down my barb, but I'm glad I didn't push Dror into the abyss or the spider pit, since he had a sick warhammer to loot. I looted behind his throne, got some nifty loot (growling underdog gloves are great) , then had a long rest. After a nice nap I murdered Minthara and the gobbos near her. She has a cool mace fyi. Tavern Brawler and Berserker on my barbarian makes it where I can yeet objects for stupid damage as a bonus action so I used that to basically two shot Gut. Halsin murdered the shit out of the goblin children lol. I'm back at the grove to finish the quest and there's a weird ox there and I can't figure out what it's deal is. You have to do an arcana check on it, but all it tells you is that there's something weird about it. I tried speak with animals and it basically called me stupid lol
This is awesome. I just did it the brute force/slightly sneaky way of murdering but your way of dealing with most of them is a great way to use the environment.

I forgot to mention, I made sure to trade with the goblin shopkeeper guy for anything he had worthwhile, then afterwards I just looted him for my money back and a a blue hide armor chest that's pretty nice, but wasn't worth the cost. Oh, and I got my money back. :lol:

I also have boots that increase Karlach's athletics and jump distance, on top of giving her the Athlete feat. Seeing her leap 20+ metres easily and drop her warhammer on fools never gets old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
After I did the encounter I was having issues not finding the owlbear cub afterwards, went searching reddit to see if I did something wrong. The number of different approaches people can take to that scenario is really crazy.

I don't know what can make it fail with the initial rescue of him, but he runs off from the goblin camp even if you succeed. He then turns up a while later during an end of day sleep at your camp. You have to offer him some food and let him run off again. At another sleep after that, he'll come up to you at night with a foot injury. Save the game at that point, because i think you have to succeed the skill roll to help with his foot. He normally runs off yet again, but then should just turn up at your camp permanently the next time you see him.

Werecow

Reaction score
Man, it just emphasizes what a good game it is when i read people's descriptions of what they're doing, and it can differ so wildly from my game or how i'd do something.

My goblin camp experience was like a James Bond scene. I talked my way in the compound and into the main building, and managed to kill 2 of the 3 goblin bosses in complete stealth before it all kicked off fully. I still haven't experienced letting the goblins mount an attack on the grove yet.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I made sure to check on the owl bear cub after the majority of the goblins were dead from the first encounter and told it that it can stay at my camp. No cute animals left behind!

This is awesome. I just did it the brute force/slightly sneaky way of murdering but your way of dealing with most of them is a great way to use the environment.

I forgot to mention, I made sure to trade with the goblin shopkeeper guy for anything he had worthwhile, then afterwards I just looted him for my money back and a a blue hide armor chest that's pretty nice, but wasn't worth the cost. Oh, and I got my money back. :lol:

I also have boots that increase Karlach's athletics and jump distance, on top of giving her the Athlete feat. Seeing her leap 20+ metres easily and drop her warhammer on fools never gets old.
shit I forgot to go check and see if the goblin trader is dead from the poison. I really want that Pike of Returning. It'll pair nicely with my "Yeet my Meat" build.

Did you guys leave the mother owlbear alive? I just left her alone in her cave, I wonder if the baby will go back to her.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't know what can make it fail with the initial rescue of him, but he runs off from the goblin camp even if you succeed. He then turns up a while later during an end of day sleep at your camp. You have to offer him some food and let him run off again. At another sleep after that, he'll come up to you at night with a foot injury. Save the game at that point, because i think you have to succeed the skill roll to help with his foot. He normally runs off yet again, but then should just turn up at your camp permanently the next time you see him.

Ya, all sorted now. It just took quite a few long rests for me.

Did you guys leave the mother owlbear alive? I just left her alone in her cave, I wonder if the baby will go back to her.

Go back for seconds?

I think if you don't kill it, it's killed by goblins or some other cause. Otherwise getting that cub to the town would be near impossible.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
shit I forgot to go check and see if the goblin trader is dead from the poison. I really want that Pike of Returning. It'll pair nicely with my "Yeet my Meat" build.

I snick into the owl bear cave in cat form through a hidden crack up above and just dug up some treasure and left. Didn't wanna bother mama bear, even if I could speak with animals. Next playthrough I'll see if I can talk to her and see what's up, but I didn't wanna risk fighting her.

Werecow

Reaction score
I snick into the owl bear cave in cat form through a hidden crack up above and just dug up some treasure and left. Didn't wanna bother mama bear, even if I could speak with animals. Next playthrough I'll see if I can talk to her and see what's up, but I didn't wanna risk fighting her.
I got seen by her, and tried to back away but failed the roll. Had to kill her, but left the cub alive. I felt really bad, but there's a pretty funny/classic owlbear cutscene immediately on finishing the fight that's worth seeing though.
The mother is seriously injured with a spear tip embedded in her eye already when you meet her. Not sure if that's what finishes her off or if it's the goblins.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
I felt like I needed to take a break from the game in the last 3 weeks because I don't want to finish the game. Does anyone feel this way? I really don't want the story to end..so I am talking to pretty much every single NPC in the city..and found bunch of things to do before I get to the upper city section.

Sven said they started working on a new title (most likely Divinity 3), I wish they extended the game or came up with another game around Waterdeep. I will keep replaying the game, I've never ran into some of the characters like Karlach, or never recruited Wyll. I tried playing an evil character but I simply can't..though I am thinking about playing a "good" Dark Urge to see how story changes.

Ungghh who am I kidding..of course I am going to play high elf sorcerer with gold dragon ancestry.. again. and again.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
With the success and critical acclaim that this game has had I'd be surprised if they didn't do a follow up or even an expansion or 2. Even if they do a Divinity 3 as their next title I'll still likely get it with how good D2:OS was anyway.

Good for Larian.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
"Kiss his tentacle and hope that it's an erogenous appendage" -YESS i HAD SQUID SEX MY LIFE IS COMPLETE NOW!

Werecow

Reaction score
With the success and critical acclaim that this game has had I'd be surprised if they didn't do a follow up or even an expansion or 2. Even if they do a Divinity 3 as their next title I'll still likely get it with how good D2:OS was anyway.

Good for Larian.
I'm honestly happy with whatever universe they want to work in now. I actually considered D:OS 2 to be around about my favourite game of the last 10 years or so until BG3 came along, definitely my favourite RPG. That's a pretty bloody good record haha. A D:OS 3 with the production values of BG3 would be killer, as would more BG.

Swen has said the next game has already been underway, and with how permanently staffed studios work, I'm guessing they've had that going for a while now, so it'd be hard to suddenly change course because of BG3's unexpected (even by Larian) success. I think they have enough staff to be making some new BG content alongside though.

narad

Reaction score
After this I may just go replay BG1. It was a bit too tough for me back then tbh. I remember getting pretty far into it, but honestly don't remember how... maybe I used cheats or some existing save or something, because I also remember being killed by wolves all the time just outside the first town.

Werecow

Reaction score
After this I may just go replay BG1. It was a bit too tough for me back then tbh. I remember getting pretty far into it, but honestly don't remember how... maybe I used cheats or some existing save or something, because I also remember being killed by wolves all the time just outside the first town.
I actually have pretty much the same memory with the wolves haha. It was before i fully got into RPGs, and i never went back to it for some reason.
I was looking it up again last week, and seems It has quite a reputation for being not very newbie friendly.

Werecow

Reaction score
Arg. The latest patch, every time i dismiss a party member it dumps their alchemy, camp supplies packs etc on me, encumbering my wizard.
If i send them to camp, they get merged into a new standard pack inside the camp chest, so they effectively blink out of existence. So then when i get the party member back in again, they don't have their own packs anymore to keep their inventory free from all of the camp supplies and alchemy ingredients littering their inventory.
What an annoying change.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering why my wizard's carry weight was slowly creeping towards his limit, and i suddenly realised that the crazy bastards have finally done it... gold actually weighs something in this game :lol:
Not sure i've played a game where that's a thing before. I had to put some in my camp chest.
So I just ran into a very similar situation since Karlach is my pack mule and carries all the equipment for selling. Turns out, camping supplies/food also weighs a lot! I'm honestly not sure what the point of carrying that stuff even is, aside from maybe the booze bottles, since you can just send them to camp and use them when you're going to do a long rest?

Anyway, I cleared the goblin fort (or so I thought) and still didn't see any signs of Halsin, so I found my way into the Underdark, putsed around a little before getting my ass handed to me a couple of times and then reverted to an auto save, and went back into the fort. Now I realize that I missed a door in the fort and am making my way to Halsin.

Underdark got hands, y'all.

narad

Reaction score
So I just ran into a very similar situation since Karlach is my pack mule and carries all the equipment for selling. Turns out, camping supplies/food also weighs a lot! I'm honestly not sure what the point of carrying that stuff even is, aside from maybe the booze bottles, since you can just send them to camp and use them when you're going to do a long rest?

Anyway, I cleared the goblin fort (or so I thought) and still didn't see any signs of Halsin, so I found my way into the Underdark, putsed around a little before getting my ass handed to me a couple of times and then reverted to an auto save, and went back into the fort. Now I realize that I missed a door in the fort and am making my way to Halsin.

Underdark got hands, y'all.

Yea, that fort layout is pretty confusing. I was thinking man, I've been in here for like 2 hours and I'm still finding brand new rooms off of the main room?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I just remembered I can speak to the dead! I'm running around going "fuck, where could a bear hide in this fort?!" and then had a revelation that I could try asking one of the gobbos he mauled!

As you can tell, I'm very excited to try this. :lol:

Edit: my disappointment is immeasurable.

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
I just remembered I can speak to the dead! I'm running around going "fuck, where could a bear hide in this fort?!" and then had a revelation that I could try asking one of the gobbos he mauled!

As you can tell, I'm very excited to try this. :lol:

Edit: my disappointment is immeasurable.
When you cast talk to dead once, it tells you you can recast it again for the rest of the day, but what it doesn't tell you is that it then detects which bodies will have a proper talk to you, and they'll slightly glow that greeny colour the spell has. So if you have the amulet that lets you talk to dead, it's good to put that on just to cast it so you can see obvious corpses to talk to.
I'm very often swapping that amulet on and off to cast it. I have to swap it, because i can't be without my extra magic missle shot amulet :)

It does suddenly reveal a whole extra layer to the game if you just discovered it. Talking to animals is great as well. It amazes me that talking to them has better writing and voice acting than 95% of other games.

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
I just can't play the game with this new inventory thing that's happening :( I don't know whether to call it a feature or a bug, or maybe a bug with the new feature?
But when i send a camp supply sack to camp (because i have to, as it gets dumped on me), every single camp supply item that was in the camp chest gets moved into it. Lae'zel's sack now weighs nearly 400 in the camp chest :lol: and no one can even pick it up.
I'd have to spend aaaaages manually moving items out of the sack to be able to give it back to her.
Some people are saying that gold background (rare) equipment items get dumped on to you as well, so they've created an annoying feature that also has bugs. It's so frustrating being addicted to a game, yet it's currently too annoying for me to play.