Baldurs Gate 3

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep astarion in camp when I don't need a lock open. Partially because others are better in a fight. And partially because I don't like him. Lol. Great acting to make him so irritating.
"Darling, I'm positively wounded by this. I've only ever heard complaints of irritation in the morning!"

I KNOW YOU'RE A VAMPIRE, ASTARION, I KNEW IT RIGHT AWAY!

But yes I do keep him in my party for now for the sneaky damage.

Werecow

Reaction score
"Darling, I'm positively wounded by this. I've only ever heard complaints of irritation in the morning!"

I KNOW YOU'RE A VAMPIRE, ASTARION, I KNEW IT RIGHT AWAY!

But yes I do keep him in my party for now for the sneaky damage.
I'd noticed the marks on his neck and wondered how that was going to be revealed. I loved how they did it. He has some really funny scenes, depending on how you treat him. I'll have to do a playthrough with him in the main party sometime.
Everything i read about this game makes me think i'll be replaying this for years, with all the classes, race differences in reactions and dialogue, dark urge to try etc.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I'd noticed the marks on his neck and wondered how that was going to be revealed. I loved how they did it. He has some really funny scenes, depending on how you treat him. I'll have to do a playthrough with him in the main party sometime.
Everything i read about this game makes me think i'll be replaying this for years, with all the classes, race differences in reactions and dialogue, dark urge to try etc.
Haven't gotten that far yet but there have been hints. Like seeing him wandering around camp while I'm (not) sleeping (because I'm an elf), or the plainly labeled "EMPTY BLOOD JAR" sitting on his little table in camp.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this will definitely be a go-to game for me where I put in hundreds of hours over the next several years, trying out new character builds and choosing different options.

Already can't wait for character #2.

Haven't gotten that far yet but there have been hints. Like seeing him wandering around camp while I'm (not) sleeping (because I'm an elf), or the plainly labeled "EMPTY BLOOD JAR" sitting on his little table in camp.

Holy shit, I didn't even realize that was why I saw him wandering around the camp the first time I did a long rest! Totally forgot that as an elf my character doesn't actually sleep.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this will definitely be a go-to game for me where I put in hundreds of hours over the next several years, trying out new character builds and choosing different options.

Already can't wait for character #2.

Holy shit, I didn't even realize that was why I saw him wandering around the camp the first time I did a long rest!
The drained ram or whatever it was you find on the trail I think is also him.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I started up a Dwarven Barbarian playthrough with max strength and very high dex.
Got to the Crypt at the beginning of act 1 and Gale/Shadowheart both got killed near instantly, though not before I set all the enemies on fire and threw a spike bulb at them. My barbarian had no problems cleaning up the stragglers. Gale has some very funny dialogue/a miniquest when he dies and you don't have Withers yet.

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
I was just wondering why my wizard's carry weight was slowly creeping towards his limit, and i suddenly realised that the crazy bastards have finally done it... gold actually weighs something in this game :lol:
Not sure i've played a game where that's a thing before. I had to put some in my camp chest.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I started up a Dwarven Barbarian playthrough with max strength and very high dex.
Got to the Crypt at the beginning of act 1 and Gale/Shadowheart both got killed near instantly, though not before I set all the enemies on fire and threw a spike bulb at them. My barbarian had no problems cleaning up the stragglers. Gale has some very funny dialogue/a miniquest when he dies and you don't have Withers yet.
I just cleared the crypt at lvl 3 and didn't have too much trouble, was actually a pretty fun encounter.

I spoke to Withers after the fight but had no idea who he was so fully expected to have to fight a lich, but alas, I went back to the camp and there he was, just chilling.

I respecced Shadowheart to a Light Domain Cleric with a focus on tanking and buffing the party, and she plays much better now. I can understand having her start out as a Trickster Domain Cleric for fluff, even though I don't know much about her story, but gameplay-wise it's next to useless since my main can charm people.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I just cleared the crypt at lvl 3 and didn't have too much trouble, was actually a pretty fun encounter.

I spoke to Withers after the fight but had no idea who he was so fully expected to have to fight a lich, but alas, I went back to the camp and there he was, just chilling.

I respecced Shadowheart to a Light Domain Cleric with a focus on tanking and buffing the party, and she plays much better now. I can understand having her start out as a Trickster Domain Cleric for fluff, even though I don't know much about her story, but gameplay-wise it's next to useless since my main can charm people.
Yeah I did the crypt immediately at lvl 1 so it was rough for the first fight. I grabbed Astarion and then it made the other fight much easier, since I mostly assassinated all the skeletons.

The only really annoying enemy I've fought for my party so far has been the fucking Phase Spider Matriarch down in the Whispering Depths. Jesus christ that was an annoying fight to do at level 3. She has a billion minions, she does like 16-20 poison dmg a hit AND she goes berserk at quarter health/can do 2 attacks per turn. The goblins in blighted village were a joke for the most part.

I specced into a berserker barbarian and I can generally steamroll enemies, especially since I'm buck naked (berserkers get AC bonus from not wearing armor and it's hilarious to watch a naked dwarf beat people to death). It's even funnier now that I have tavern brawler and can yeet salami at my foes with extra effectiveness. I'm planning on multiclassing into monk to really commit to the up close and VERY PERSONAL fights.

I specced Astarion into an assassin rogue so he hits extremely hard when he stealth attacks.

I respec'd Shadowheart into a War Domain Cleric and she's way more useful in terms of damage output. Also I gave her that fancy spear from the crypt and she can actually hit shit in melee range ( since she has a proficiency in spears??) .

I kept Gale as a mostly long range sorcerer build, though he does have some nifty support spells, like triple jump distance/increase armor.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

I need to respec her too. I like having her and in my party for story reasons but the trickster domain doesn't help much.

Then again I'm a sword and board paladin so I don't necessarily NEED more tankiness...

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Unrelated: for some reason Gale's need to consume magic items is just SO DUMB to me. Like just a pointless maintenance thing. Breaks immersion imo.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The only really annoying enemy I've fought for my party so far has been the fucking Phase Spider Matriarch down in the Whispering Depths. Jesus christ that was an annoying fight to do at level 3. She has a billion minions, she does like 16-20 poison dmg a hit AND she goes berserk at quarter health/can do 2 attacks per turn. The goblins in blighted village were a joke for the most part.
Thank you for the warning because I am literally at the mouth of that dungeon and will probably just return when I level up. :lol:
I need to respec her too. I like having her and in my party for story reasons but the trickster domain doesn't help much.

Then again I'm a sword and board paladin so I don't necessarily NEED more tankiness...
Flip the script, make her a completely different class like Bard or something.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Thank you for the warning because I am literally at the mouth of that dungeon and will probably just return when I level up. :lol:

Flip the script, make her a completely different class like Bard or something.
I... Didn't realize I could change companion classes. That changes everything. Does it mess with the story at all? Cause I'm totally down to just make the people I like into the classes I want lol.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I... Didn't realize I could change companion classes. That changes everything. Does it mess with the story at all? Cause I'm totally down to just make the people I like into the classes I want lol.
Doesn't mess with the story at all, but unless you tweak their proficiencies and stats as well they'll be less useful in other roles.

Werecow

Reaction score
Unrelated: for some reason Gale's need to consume magic items is just SO DUMB to me. Like just a pointless maintenance thing. Breaks immersion imo.
I accepted it on story reasons, but hated it for my chacter creation. I tend to create glass canon wizards, or just really unbalanced characters stats-wise and make up for it with magic items in the game. It's pretty dumb, but i find it exciting, and can make really powerful characters if done right. So I was seriously sweating about it as it went on :lol: but i read it's capped at 4 items (i think!). I just managed to feed him some really shit magic rings before it would have started encroaching on stuff i might actually use.

Gale kind of gives me the creeps with the way he talks. He's a bit smarmy, and passive aggressive at times. It made it easier for me to just leave him in camp while i found the next item to give him (that and the fact i'm a wizard too). I don't know if his character progresses away from that during the game, as my most used party seem to be on a character arc.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So I spent the day slaughtering the goblin camp. :lol:

I killed half the goblins in the burned down village as well as the ones at the front gates of the going camp because I couldn't talk my way past them, although the 3rd group of them in the village I did manage to persuade. I walked into the camp and talked to a few of them, saw they had an owl bear cub held captive and were gonna use for games and then I said "naw, son." I took a lay of the land and then walked over to the one that was bragging about killing humans and tried to make him kiss my boots, which started a fight, which quickly escalated when I kept out going rather than showing him mercy.

I eventually cleared the entire outside but burned a lot of spell slots, and karlach also didn't have any rage slots since back in the village, so it got a little dicey but nobody was downed. I took the secret, upper entrance into the temple and proceeded to pick off all the goblins below by dropping the hanging braziers, laying down spike growth near the ladder, throwing AOE spells and bottles down below, and using Karlach and Shadowheart to push any of them that made their way up (Wyll's hex helping to reduce their strength to help push them off) for big fall damage. It was a riot and I managed to do it with minimal spells lots, but I had a lot of health potions to help me out.

I just saved Volo and the human adventurer before I called it a night, gotta go find Halsin now. Trying not to do a long rest since I've heard that eventually the druids will finish the ritual and close off the Grove, so I'm trying to avoid that.

I guess my character just hates goblins. Sorry, Karlach.

Goddamnit, I love this game.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

I killed half the goblins in the burned down village as well as the ones at the front gates of the going camp because I couldn't talk my way past them, although the 3rd group of them in the village I did manage to persuade. I walked into the camp and talked to a few of them, saw they had an owl bear cub held captive and were gonna use for games and then I said "naw, son." I took a lay of the land and then walked over to the one that was bragging about killing humans and tried to make him kiss my boots, which started a fight, which quickly escalated when I kept out going rather than showing him mercy.

I eventually cleared the entire outside but burned a lot of spell slots, and karlach also didn't have any rage slots since back in the village, so it got a little dicey but nobody was downed. I took the secret, upper entrance into the temple and proceeded to pick off all the goblins below by dropping the hanging braziers, laying down spike growth near the ladder, throwing AOE spells and bottles down below, and using Karlach and Shadowheart to push any of them that made their way up (Wyll's hex helping to reduce their strength to help push them off) for big fall damage. It was a riot and I managed to do it with minimal spells lots, but I had a lot of health potions to help me out.

I just saved Volo and the human adventurer before I called it a night, gotta go find Halsin now. Trying not to do a long rest since I've heard that eventually the druids will finish the ritual and close off the Grove, so I'm trying to avoid that.

After I did the encounter I was having issues not finding the owlbear cub afterwards, went searching reddit to see if I did something wrong. The number of different approaches people can take to that scenario is really crazy.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score

I mostly talked my way out of fighting the goblins in the bilghted village, largely because I was exhausted from fighting those fucking phase spiders. I also spent a good amount of time slaughtering goblins in the main camp, though I did it a bit more sneaky beaky like at first. I talked my way in past the first gate, then I had Astarion walk over to the main grog bowl and poison it, which took out quite a few goblins, then I went up top and assassinated all the enemies near the crumbling wall. I basically left whatever stragglers were alive outside alone. Once inside I used enhance leap on Astarion and positioned him right above Dror Ragzlin in the throne room, then I moved all the other party members (Gale/Shadowheart) into advantageous positions for an ambush. I then ran around on my own and basically murdered straggler goblins near the throne room/ destroyed their war drums so they couldn't help the throne room goblins. After that I kicked off the ambush with Astarion sneak attacking Dror, and my barbarian yeeting people into the spider pit. It was a bit of a shit show at first with everyone focusing down my barb, but I'm glad I didn't push Dror into the abyss or the spider pit, since he had a sick warhammer to loot. I looted behind his throne, got some nifty loot (growling underdog gloves are great) , then had a long rest. After a nice nap I murdered Minthara and the gobbos near her. She has a cool mace fyi. Tavern Brawler and Berserker on my barbarian makes it where I can yeet objects for stupid damage as a bonus action so I used that to basically two shot Gut. Halsin murdered the shit out of the goblin children lol. I'm back at the grove to finish the quest and there's a weird ox there and I can't figure out what it's deal is. You have to do an arcana check on it, but all it tells you is that there's something weird about it. I tried speak with animals and it basically called me stupid lol