Bands/artists you feel you should like but just cannot get into

• Thread starter jehu12141987
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Most bands from the past five or six years even though I write deathcore and people I talk to say its in its *prime*. I'm odd though, I write more music than I actually listen to it anyway.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dickicker

Reaction score
Mainly Meshuggah, BTBAM and Protest the Hero. I'm not a big hype guy myself and those are some bands that get tossed around A LOT! haha I understand it all and its neat but it doesn't tickle my fancy. Thus the great thing about music, there is so many flavors to choose from.

P.S. I love The Beatles :D

berserker213

Reaction score
Meshuggah. Honestly, I've tried, and Bleed is really the only track of theirs that does anything for me. And Vildjharta (sp?). Oh and anything the Internet classifies as "djent" outside of Periphery, Tesseract, and After the Burial (whom I consider to be shreddy metalcore even though they get thrown into the djent box often). IMHO, outside of those three bands, "djent" just becomes a huge circle jerk consisting of bands with pluralized names and fans who don't know the difference between polyrhytm and syncopation.

EDIT: I added in an "IMHO" to defuse a blanket statement.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
I think we should just come together and classify After the Burial as just awesome.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
-BTBAM's heavier sections (They get really monotonous to my ears)
-Gojira (Can't get into the vocals at all)
-Devin Townsend (Vocals again)
-The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (Way too crazy, heavy, psychotic for my tastes. Every once in a blue moon though, I dig it.)
-a lot of death metal bands because it just sounds like fast heavy stuff with no real content.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Not so much bands I feel I should like, but bands that people might expect me to like...

-The Beatles are a really mixed bag to me. Most of it's just not my gig. I like the vast majority of the Across the Universe soundtrack though.
-There's a metric shitton of prog that does absolutely nothing for me.
-Most music recommendation services seem to think that I'd love Explosions in the Sky & co for some reason. The closest I get to that stuff is probably MONO or Jakob.
-I guess AAL, Meshuggah etc qualify within the context of this site.
-Steve Vai

morrowcosom

Reaction score
Cynic

I love technical fusion oriented prog, but Cynic's songwriting does nothing for me. The chops are there, but for the most part, the song structures are about as predictable as pop music, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the structures sound too locked down for this type of music to me.

Also, the double picking on the guitars is repetitive as hell.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
The Faceless, All Shall Perish, Periphery, and Monuments are a few bands that are like that for me.
For some reason, I can't get into The Faceless. None of the music has ever really wowed me. I know that it's good, but I just haven't been given a real reason to return. When I listen, it doesn't really sound powerful and for me, that's a problem. The guitar, and drums, and vocals, and bass... Everything needs to have a certain stain power, that pops out and The Faceless just hasn't done that for me

All Shall Perish is just a band that everybody seems to like, that I can't really get into. I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that I haven't invested my time in listening to them, and I've only listened to one album.. "This Is Where It Ends." One song stands out to me from the album, and that's "The Death Plague" Once again, nothing ever really hits me in the way that it makes me want to return to the album. That tends to happen to me though. That one song will get me into 4 others, and so on. Maybe I'll be able to get into them some day.

And finally, Periphery and Monuments. I can tell that both of them are wonderful Progressive Metal bands. The instrumentation is great, and catchy. What kills it for me is the vocal style. I really lean more towards the Death/Guttural style of Extreme Vocals, and that style really bores me. I think it sounds weak, in Monuments case. For Periphery, I just tend to lose interest. I can't explain why. Hopefully, some day I'll be able to get interested.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Down/Superjoint Ritual/anything Phil Anselmo after Pantera --I love Pantera, and I thought that voice on anything else would jive with me, and I was wrong. Down seems to be Pantera without any balls, imo.

Periphery --I can listen to Bulb's shit all day, but Periphery does nothing for me. It's not even their singer that turns me off, as I think he's good at what he does. It's just the whole package...something is lost, I guess. But, man, I can load up tracks like "Breeze" and be blown away every single time.

Megadeth --I love Dave's riffs. Rust in Peace is probably in my top 10 riff albums, but his voice is a complete turn off for me. It ruins everything for me. I'm a huge fan of metal from that era (Metallica, Exodus, Slayer, Anthrax, etc), but Megadeth doesn't do it for me...and it feels kind of wrong that it doesn't. They're supposed to be #2 from that era, what am I missing?

Machinae Supremacy --I love video game music and hard rock, which is what Machinae Supremacy combines. Some of the music is good, but it loses something in the vocals. Once again, it's another one of those I feel like I should love, and I'm yawning half way through their songs..

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Sybreed

I guess they're just too... industrial? for my taste.
They have some nice riffs though :)

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
I have like the few odd bands that I just can't into, like jimi hendrix experience, gojira, devin townshend.