Bare Knuckle SILO (Rabea Masaad signature pickups)

• Thread starter couverdure
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
considering he used the warpig for ages, I'd guess it's based off that.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Going to wait for his inevitable 20 minute demo video (which I await eagerly) but I'm a huge fan of Rabea and Toska so I'm probably going to pick up a set

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
I'm interested. I just satisfied my GAS with a 7 string set of BKP (Black Dog/VHII) Now I have more GAS. Curious to hear these in a 7 string setting...

katsumura78

Reaction score
In the Instagram comments it was mentioned that these aren’t based off of anything and they were built from the ground up. Significantly less output than the warpig set with way more headroom. Interested but Rabea could use stock Ibanez Gio pickups and sound great.

BTS

BTS
Reaction score
Grats to Rabea.

I was very sold on a set of holy divers. These are different.... but have thrown a bit of a curve ball in the diver decision becauee they seem pretty versatile. Hopefully some other reviews come out using these Silos.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
In the Instagram comments it was mentioned that these aren’t based off of anything and they were built from the ground up. Significantly less output than the warpig set with way more headroom. Interested but Rabea could use stock Ibanez Gio pickups and sound great.

They always say that, then you see the specs/EQ curve.

That said, they don't sound so similar to warpigs to me. I like warpigs.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
they already have the description/eq/clips up on the site:
https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/silo
"Silo: A signature pickup for a guitarist with a colossal signature tone and style.
The ‘Silo’ humbuckers define Rabea Massaad’s standing as a revered guitarist, music producer and performer, translating his immediately recognisable finger tone and phrasing.
"I need a pickup with the ability to create glassy, ambient leads and warm, clear chord tones. Equally I need it to sound crushingly heavy and aggressive.
The Silo humbuckers give me everything I need and more. I couldn’t be happier." Rabea
Twin screw coils, Alnico V magnets and a pairing of 44AWG wound bridge and 42AWG wound neck all combine into an incredible range of depth and output.
Rabea is renowned for the clarity in his guitar tones and the precision in his playing, whether it be textural ambient soundscapes or saturated driven breakdowns.
Silo’s clean and split coil tones are pure, warm, and full bodied, responding extremely well to pick dynamics and changes on the volume pot. Driven tones retain excellent note definition through extended chord voicings and lower tunings with incredible projection and weight behind every note."

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sounds like every boutique pickup ever. Would love to ever hear someone say something along the lines of, "Because I play in low tunings, we optimized the pickups to remain clear and percussive in lower registers. Don't get these for E -- you'll probably find the overall sound to be too thin", etc.

This is like the equivalent of releasing a signature car and advertising a fuel-efficient V12 that does 0-60 in .1 second while getting great mileage, weighs 500lbs, great handling, smooth ride, and can tow a trailer. Sleek design, convertible roof, can fit 10 people.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
This is like the equivalent of releasing a signature car and advertising a fuel-efficient V12 that does 0-60 in .1 second while getting great mileage, weighs 500lbs, great handling, smooth ride, and can tow a trailer. Sleek design, convertible roof, can fit 10 people.

...it's scary how that sounds like a government sales pitch. Just missing the obligatory "environmentally friendly and tax credit clause", e.i. it's ran by potted plant farts with a solar-locomotive non-HAZMAT battery backup. I think I should write birthday/holiday cards to people in the style of pickup manufacturer product descriptions. Also, it's very similar to workout supplements. There's a lot of hot air that goes into selling placebos.

I'm curious how the voicing sounds in different guitars. I think all of us pickup whores will be guilty of giving them a spin.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Sounds like every boutique pickup ever. Would love to ever hear someone say something along the lines of, "Because I play in low tunings, we optimized the pickups to remain clear and percussive in lower registers. Don't get these for E -- you'll probably find the overall sound to be too thin", etc.

You mean an ad that actually tells you something? Like anything at all useful?

Let me try:

I run an EQ and volume boost on my leads so I didn’t want a super-bright neck pickup to end up shrill. It’s a pretty smooth EQ curve but you may need to boost the highs a tiny bit on your personal rig. I play Eb.

Reactions: BTS

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Probably hotter than I'm looking for. I like my SSH+ bridge a lot, but even it is a little hot. And I wouldn't say its hot enough to cause a lot of compression. Though Toska's style is fairly close to what my band does.

Latest posts