Behold the V-250 refinishing...(56k LOL)

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
well if you're painting it then getting to the raw wood isn't a huge deal, but it'd be easier if you didn't. Since I was sculpting the heel I had to get into the raw wood, but after like 2 coats it was fine.

I did 60 grit to get the paint off, then once that was done I switched down to 200 to finish it up. Then I started spraying and hit 200 & 400.

On the neck underneath the paint there's a satin "sealer" I guess it would be called, anyway, I broke through that in 2 spots on the neck (and 2 spots where I sculpted the bolt joint a bit) and I haven't been able to fix them up yet, I think I might end up having to paint the neck because of that, not a huge deal but whatever. I'm gonna see what I can do, but I'm gonna finish painting first.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
well if you're painting it then getting to the raw wood isn't a huge deal, but it'd be easier if you didn't. Since I was sculpting the heel I had to get into the raw wood, but after like 2 coats it was fine.

You mean I can just paint over my current finish with only light sanding? (Sry, I'm a real paint noob)...

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well...you could but you should sand it down past the actual coloured paint...

Sebastian

Reaction score
Man.. this finish :lol:

Would look totally Badass

refinday212.jpg

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah it is cool, except the inside part of the wings was really not coated as much as the rest of the body so I wore through it, and I was lazy sanding it so there was still the purple/red colour :lol: oh well.

It'll be forest camo tonight sometime.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sander

60...then 200...then 400

since it was raining today, I decided to leave it as-is for right now and when these strings wear out I guess I'll finish it up. The two long bright spots on the neck are where I wore through the satin finish, the part above them is flame.

refinday32.jpg

refinday31.jpg

refinday33copy.jpg

refinday34.jpg

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
man that looks cool. This is really making me want to do a new refinishing project. I did a metallic grey with a black burst on a washburn I got at a guitar store going out of business for only 5 bucks. Im pretty happy with how it turned out but I'd like to give another shot at refinishing now that I've at least had a little experience.

god9

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks pretty cool man.

Just curious, why did you decide not to sand/refinish the back of the headstock and heel?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, that looks fucking nice dude!
thanks man!

That looks pretty cool man.

Just curious, why did you decide not to sand/refinish the back of the headstock and heel?
I didn't want to flap with the serial number as getting into GC w/o one would be a bitch :lol:

man that looks cool. This is really making me want to do a new refinishing project. I did a metallic grey with a black burst on a washburn I got at a guitar store going out of business for only 5 bucks. Im pretty happy with how it turned out but I'd like to give another shot at refinishing now that I've at least had a little experience.
damn, 5 bucks? crazy, but yeah man, your 2nd time always turns out better than the first so I'd go for it if I were you.

here are some crappy vids to see it better

Video of truth...yeah - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of newly refinished V-250 (randall) - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of random long - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'll bump this thread back up once these strings wear down and if I still want to finish it by then...but for now, here are 2 pics

refinday35.jpg

refinday36.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
Looks really cool....

But i hope you will not use the strings like me... 8 months.. just you will refinish it faster.. :yesway:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
ah ok.. 60 sounds good.. Thats an interesting paintjob I guess.. I think maybe filling in the neck pup woulda made it cooler

Shoulda tried to find a V-350 and do that to it, I wanted to do that one day but they are pretty hard to find, but amazing guitars apparently

Im currently doing a RG7620 right now, just got finished filling some holes and sanding the majority, im not doing a finish quite like yours tho, im using some stain and such and hoping it comes out good, if not I might have to go the solid colour route.. I probably wont post pics here because people only bitch anyways when I post pics, not thankful, but anyone who isnt interested in talking shit can check jemsite like in 2 weeks and I should have some pics up in the 7 string section

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I probably wont post pics here because people only bitch anyways when I post pics, not thankful, but anyone who isnt interested in talking shit can check jemsite like in 2 weeks and I should have some pics up in the 7 string section

Huh...I always saw it as the other way around (people on Jemsite are elitist, we like to have a good time).

What kind of "bitching" are you talking about?