Behringer's Such a Shitty Company

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I don't think the issue is folks dunking on Behringer for making copies.

Everyone builds copies of something.

I think it's the gaul of Behringer getting angry, and suing people (not just companies, but regular people) for pointing out they make copies that's putting people off the brand.
Oh no, I totally get that, I was speaking to the few posts mentioning Behringer quality. Their current stuff is as good as anything in the category/price range. Shit even the last few generations of Bugera amps/cabs have been reliable and sound good. I'm still kinda hoping they have some modern guitar modeling stuff up their sleeve just to see what they can do for 1/2 the price of Line 6/Fractal/Kemper.

You mean Gibson ? hurr hurr durr
Kind of. I've never played a Gibson that I didn't feel like I was fighting with, so I don't even consider them for much anyways.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You mean Gibson ? hurr hurr durr

Gibson probably does more actual R&D work than most brands, only that's not really an indicator of anything. The Firebird X, Dusk Tiger, and the Digital LP likely took thousands of man-hours of work, but the products themselves were underwhelming and no one really liked them in the end.

Exchanger

Reaction score
Gibson probably does more actual R&D work than most brands, only that's not really an indicator of anything. The Firebird X, Dusk Tiger, and the Digital LP likely took thousands of man-hours of work, but the products themselves were underwhelming and no one really liked them in the end.

True that. But they will still sell for 3k an instrument whose design is stuck in the 60's. If only this was attached to a guarantee of quality, but that's not what I heard.

Gibson must have totally smashed your girlfriend/mom/sister/dad, because the hate is strong.

I don't hate them, but I find the flagship LP really un-ergonomic, heavy, and that headstock design being both fragile and prone to tuning instability...I just like to poke fun at people who treat these guitars as some kind of ultimate relic, and this brand religiously.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's low hanging fruit for both sides really.

There are plenty of legitimate things to drag Gibson for, though it seems a new, mostly bullshit one pops up monthly.

On the flip side, defending brands is pretty silly in itself, especially getting somewhat personal about it.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
There are plenty of legitimate things to drag Gibson for, though it seems a new, mostly bullshit one pops up monthly.

Bingo.

Gibson must be your girlfriend/mom/sister/dad for as much as you go to bat for them

If Gibson was my dad, I'd be stoked because of all that Cease and Desist money rolling in.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Name a thing modern guitarists fear more than classic single cut shapes and TOM bridges.
Poorly balanced instruments, guys who says anything that isn't mid-tempo pentatonic soloing has "no feel", drummers that can't play to a click, boomer-ass opinions on backtracks.....

thedonal

Reaction score
I have two fretless 6s that I've been putting off new strings for the better part of a year. :lol:

Haha! Yeah. My fretless 5 is about a year old and I reckon those flatwounds will last a while- £60+ for another set so they'd bloody better!!!! Although I'm putting strings against costs now, it's still a lot to fork out in one go!

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I don't know, I think this is going to vary depending on who you ask. Most of the very casual players I know here also avoid that brand and get into the same discussions - kids, students, people learning, people on budgets, etc. I avoided the brand when I was a kid (as much as I could with my very limited buying power).

Even if the opinion is driven by enthusiasts (as it usually is with a lot of things), in the age of "my opinion is whatever google says", that ends up being a pretty big chunk of a company's reputation.

I think it depends on the product. They offer so many things it's tough to label them overall as 'X/10 in quality.'
My interface is a Behringer, and it's been great for years. However, my dad had a Behringer bass amp a few years ago and honestly that thing was junk. I'd buy more of their studio gear but I don't think I'd get another amp from them, you know?

Name a thing modern guitarists fear more than classic single cut shapes and TOM bridges.
Standard tuning :mk:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think it depends on the product.
That's as much a part of that reputation, I think.

If I needed a cheap mixer, I might have considered it. I'd never use an amp from them though, or really rely on anything Behringer for a live scenario. I've had pedals, a rack tuner, a bass amp, a guitar combo, a small mixer, etc from this brand and I'd never go back to any of those for anything critical or for live use. Bass amp fried, guitar combo sounded terrible and developed crackly noises, some plastic parts on the mixer broke (the xlr inputs breaking made it unusable), the rack tuner wasn't accurate unless you tuned standard, etc. They did what they were mostly meant to do, but not necessarily very well or for very long.

If someone was just learning or playing casually and wanted something usable for the cheapest possible price? Sure, go for it - but you get what you pay for, as they say. Given the reliability I've experienced before, and then add on top of it this new (to me) knowledge that they use their branding to punch down at people (be it racist or not, or some kind of weird in-joke or not)... I can't say I'm exactly lining up to buy more of their stuff.

And I'm certainly more hesitant, after this thread, to recommend the brand to casual players either.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Hey, most of tune to standard, we just 1-3 extra low strings below that, too.

lol, I remember way back in the day someone had a quote like that in their signature here.
Something like "My favorite part about this community is that when someone says 'I tune to D,' you legitimately have to guess which octave they're referring to." :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Regardless of graphics, the antics are just disgusting. The graphics are snot frosting on a vomit cake. Fucking pathetic, Behringer. Do remember that TC Electronic is part of Behringer, whom had a problem with a preset but not this.

Status
Not open for further replies.