Bending string going out of tune after tuning down

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
I never knew that.
I play guitar for 15 years and this post made me realize that I don't even know how to tune my guitar :lol:
Don't worry, I'm also on the same boat :D
In the end of the day a fixed bridge will always be a fixed bridge.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
do it like a tremolo bridge, start with the high E up to the low E
On pretty much any guitar, I've always tuned by going back and forth a few times -> Start at low E, work my way up to high, then go back down, and back up, etc. repeating until everything is stable.

I had to keep my mouth shut once when I was witnessing a guy in a store change the strings on an acoustic for a lady, but he didn't bother stretching the strings, and he put them on one at a time, tuning each one to pitch, then moving onto the next string. When he thought he was done, he picked up the guitar, strummed it - and of course it's all out of whack because he didn't realize that adding another string changes the tension on the whole thing - both of them just looking at eachother in confusion... he re-tuned it and it was fine, but I could see it coming the whole time. :lol:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
This isn't an issue, it's simply how the tuners function. Be glad they use Hipshot Locking nowadays because when Mayones used Sperzel those suffered hardcore with the extra slack it develops by tuning down :lol:

But yeah, if it's too much of a bother I'd look into an evertune.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
I had a guitar with Sperzel locking tuners too, felt even worse than the Hipshot ones. I thought it was just bad construction on the guitar overall.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
I was just referring to the common weather variations, there's no humidity control in my room.

As already said, Id like to add that it happens to all my guitars too! Ive got an SG with a tune-o-matic bridge a locking tuners, an American Strat with the wilkinson 2-point and locking tuners, and an ESP with the Gotoh 1996t Floyd rose, all of these guitars, despite the various bridges and locking tuners, all have this little quirk. What I always do is I take the guitar out and play up and down the neck for a minute or so to warm the strings up and stretch them, then I tune everything up to pitch (if its sharp, then drop it flat and tune it up to pitch like others have said). Cheers!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I had a guitar with Sperzel locking tuners too, felt even worse than the Hipshot ones. I thought it was just bad construction on the guitar overall.

Good God I hated them haha, I had to tune down 3 half steps before tuning up to truly lock them in place if I was going to be playing a ton of bendy leads. But yeah has to do with the tuners not the guitar overall.

Another point could be string binding at the nut, so it catches and when you bend it releases the point where it was stuck and detunes a fair amount.

ixlramp

Reaction score
if it's too much of a bother I'd look into an evertune.
Evertune isn't a replacement for a fixed bridge because it isn't a fixed bridge and has a tone like a trem bridge but more so, due to less mass per string in the floating bridge. It's an expensive and extreme solution with many disadvantages and limitations.
Another point could be string binding at the nut, so it catches and when you bend it releases the point where it was stuck and detunes a fair amount.
This is a large cause of tuning problems, a fixed bridge guitar without a locking nut (almost all of them).
Because there is a length of string behind the nut, when you bend a string it pulls the string over the nut slightly, but due to nut friction the string doesn't fully slip back over the nut after the string bend.
This is partly why headless guitars have more tuning stability.

Double-locking tremolos have strings locked at nut and saddle, so there are effectively no string lengths outside the vibrating length.
But fixed bridge guitars are neglected and have oddly missed out on this excellent idea.
A good and logical solution with few disadvantages is a fixed tremolo bridge, like the first Ibanez 8 string RG2228, not Evertune.
Evertune equipped guitars don't even have locking nuts, which is ridiculous, a cause of tuning problems remains at one end of the string.

Fixed trem bridges should be promoted and offered as an alternative to a fixed bridge, i can't understand why they are so rare and so neglected.
Unfortunately the Evertune hype is so extreme now it doesn't matter if they are actually a good idea or not, they will be promoted to make money from the hype.

Last edited:

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
On any guitar with a tuning key with a gear train you must tune up to pitch. Otherwise the slop in the gear train will allow you to drift flat.